Home

They want the sales, so no demo beforehand...

This is a discussion on They want the sales, so no demo beforehand... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2007, 12:40 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 10
They want the sales, so no demo beforehand...

...if EA was convinced this version of Madden hits the next gen bullseye, they would have given the world the demo by now.
they want those first day / first week sales before folks find out the game disappoints again. they're gunshy after the last couple years of next gen crap they've delivered. and they know it's time to put up or shut up.

ok...does this hold water or not? put your biases aside and think about this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2007, 12:46 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: They want the sales, so no demo beforehand...

No it really doesn't....Each company have their own agendas. Some put demos as a top priority and some last.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:53 AM   #3
fishstick

OVR:

EA has always been good about leading launches with demos except with the past few Madden games which did not see demos until after the first week of sales. They spend a lot of money on the hype train for Madden and they don't want anything to derail it until they have cashed in.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:53 AM   #4
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65

I think ONLY the hardcore madden fan would have NOT bought it after a demo if the demo was bad

from the poepl that have rated the game so far in my poll seems like theres only about less than ahundred with the game and more than half of those say it's awesome with 5-4.0 ratings. Just imagine the other 3 millon going to buy this. the US hardcore gamers don'ty look so important anymore
Old 08-13-2007, 01:26 AM   #5
Rookie

Deelron's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetaa6
...if EA was convinced this version of Madden hits the next gen bullseye, they would have given the world the demo by now.
they want those first day / first week sales before folks find out the game disappoints again. they're gunshy after the last couple years of next gen crap they've delivered. and they know it's time to put up or shut up.

ok...does this hold water or not? put your biases aside and think about this.
Here's bias aside, despite the impression that the original post seems like an pure invitation for a flame war.

I'm very sure it holds zero water. Madden sells regardless, the vast majority of buyers don't read reviews and could care less what people say about their yearly fix of Madden. NCAA (a very similar game for the most part) released a demo a week early and is probably more subject to the whims of reviews and preview impressions (with a smaller and likely less demographically diverse audience). In all honesty, the game is sold far in advance (I'm sure next years' sales will be similar to this years and so on) and a demo isn't very likely to convince many people (present company excepted) either way. There's little to no purpose in a prerelease demo, good or bad.

Additionally, anyone truly on the fence would wait until their trusty review source (like the folks at OS here) have their say, which won't be for a while after release anyway, at which point there will be plenty of information available. The sales for the first few days are already sold, and I doubt very many early adopters would be swayed in any way by a demo (barring something completely terrible).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2007, 02:09 AM   #6
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

They've clearly given us enough trailers on xbl to make a decision, plus some games like APF put the demo out after the game hits retail.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:38 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba321
I think ONLY the hardcore madden fan would have NOT bought it after a demo if the demo was bad

from the poepl that have rated the game so far in my poll seems like theres only about less than ahundred with the game and more than half of those say it's awesome with 5-4.0 ratings. Just imagine the other 3 millon going to buy this. the US hardcore gamers don'ty look so important anymore
I think you are under estimating how the demos influence sales. A game like DIRT was on a lot of people's radars because of the demo. That new John Woo demo has also created buzz.

A demo can reach a better market than an ad on Sunday Night football. Everybody that has a console could download and might a decision on demos. EA's not a company that does anything unplanned. They aren't that stupid. They made a decision not to release a demo for whatever reason.

Let's just assume that the demo at the very worst shows that Madden is more of the same. You woudl think EA calculated that and said a demo will hurt sales.

When EA Sports doens't release a demo, you know they have no confidence in that game or they are worried that any early impressions through a demo could hurt sales. In madden's case, I think they are worried a demo could damper intial sales.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:41 AM   #8
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelron
Here's bias aside, despite the impression that the original post seems like an pure invitation for a flame war.

I'm very sure it holds zero water. Madden sells regardless, the vast majority of buyers don't read reviews and could care less what people say about their yearly fix of Madden. NCAA (a very similar game for the most part) released a demo a week early and is probably more subject to the whims of reviews and preview impressions (with a smaller and likely less demographically diverse audience). In all honesty, the game is sold far in advance (I'm sure next years' sales will be similar to this years and so on) and a demo isn't very likely to convince many people (present company excepted) either way. There's little to no purpose in a prerelease demo, good or bad.

Additionally, anyone truly on the fence would wait until their trusty review source (like the folks at OS here) have their say, which won't be for a while after release anyway, at which point there will be plenty of information available. The sales for the first few days are already sold, and I doubt very many early adopters would be swayed in any way by a demo (barring something completely terrible).
Good post.
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »