Home

Will they make a patch for...

This is a discussion on Will they make a patch for... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2007, 04:02 PM   #9
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Will they make a patch for...

Look and see how many 52+ yard FG's were attempted last year( which is the distance from the 35 for a FG attempt). Most teams from the 35 out, simply punt and play for field position or go for it on 4th down now.

Not to mention if you miss it, you give the other team the ball at the 42. Teams just don't want to give up that kind of field position. Probably 85% of 50 yard plus field goals are taken late in games when the teams need to take a chance at a win, and have their backs against the wall.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:03 PM   #10
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazelore
Name a kicker who can't hit from 40 yards consistently??
From the 35 would be a 52 yard field goal.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:04 PM   #11
Pro

Dregur's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sap0321
The 35 yrd line would make the FG 52 yards ... ummmmm I can name about ohhhhh 30 kickers in the NFL that are very low percentage from there .... now - going for it is one thing - I won't disagree with that.... but punting from the 35 is a legitimate move - sorry you guys can't separate a video game from the NFL - I am speaking in real NFL strategy terms here ...

Except Josh Brown...with the wind against him...for a game winner.

:P

-The Grinman
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2007, 04:05 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 5

Speaking of the will they make a patch thing...
Is there any word on what exactly EA acknowledges as an issue or what they intend to fix or patch yet? It'd be interesting to see what exactly they intend to fix, or what we're just stuck with.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:06 PM   #13
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dregur
Except Josh Brown...with the wind against him...for a game winner.

:P

-The Grinman
Here's the thing though, most teams no longer attempt those lengthgs of FG's unless it's a game winner, due to low percentage of success and loss of field position if you miss.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:07 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Look and see how many 52+ yard FG's were attempted last year( which is the distance from the 35 for a FG attempt). Most teams from the 35 out, simply punt and play for field position or go for it on 4th down now.

Not to mention if you miss it, you give the other team the ball at the 42. Teams just don't want to give up that kind of field position. Probably 85% of 50 yard plus field goals are taken late in games when the teams need to take a chance at a win, and have their backs against the wall.
Good post - basically the same thing I said .... if you are really going to call for a patch of a game because something isn't realistic - you might want to actually figure out what "realistic" is .... its only fair - you can't just condemn a game without doing your homework ...

I looked it up - Mare and Rackers were 2nd and 3rd in the NFL in FG attempts last season - and they each tried approximately 7 at 50+ yards and both were at about 15% ... Last time I checked Rackers is about the best K in the NFL ... there ya go ...
Old 08-14-2007, 04:10 PM   #15
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

Outside the 35? At that distance, I'm punting or going for it too, unless the 3 points is critical at the end of a game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2007, 04:11 PM   #16
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sap0321
Good post - basically the same thing I said .... if you are really going to call for a patch of a game because something isn't realistic - you might want to actually figure out what "realistic" is .... its only fair - you can't just condemn a game without doing your homework ...

I looked it up - Mare and Rackers were 2nd and 3rd in the NFL in FG attempts last season - and they each tried approximately 7 at 50+ yards and both were at about 15% ... Last time I checked Rackers is about the best K in the NFL ... there ya go ...
Exactly. It's a low percentage play. If you miss it you are giving up the ball at the 42.

Like you I really wish people would figure out what they were talking about before declaring something broken and in need of a patch.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »