Home

Abolish Online Ranked Games

This is a discussion on Abolish Online Ranked Games within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2007, 12:21 PM   #25
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Abolish Online Ranked Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by x south x
To help with that they could put in some sort of quit timer. So if someone quits a game they would have to wait 30 mins until they can get back into an online game.
I think the problem is the quitters and plug pullers have found some sort of way around the system. Which is why they don't get losses and their opponents don't get wins when they pull the plug.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2007, 12:24 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 6

Sorry, I'll try and keep this next post simple for you, since you seem to be intimidated by big words.

Your logic is idiotic.

If ranked games are bad because they turn into "win at all cost" games, and doing away with ranks (making every game unranked) would get rid of that mentality, it follows that unranked games make it more fun and less "win at all costs."

Therefore, if you play unranked games - which EA gives you the option to do - you won't have to deal with this mentality, because those with this mentality are busy playing ranked games.

Ranked games do not create competition. Rather, ranked games are a haven for those who are already competitive. Ranked game players are a completely self selecting group, and pretty much voluntarily separate themselves from the "buttercup" community.

Now, if you get rid of ranked games, what do you think will happen? Do you think people who are competitive will say, "Darn, ranked games are gone? I'm not a competitive person anymore?" Or do you think the more likely outcome is people keeping track of their record on their own and thus maintaining an equally competitive mentality, even if it isn't officially sanctioned by EA?

Furthermore, some people simply hate to lose and will quit/disconnect regardless of whether or not they're playing for ranked. I'd actually be willing to bet someone is more likely to finish a game where they fall behind 21-0 in a ranked game than in an unranked game, because in an unranked game there are no repercussions for quitting in any way shape or form.

The system is fine as it is. If you don't want to play ranked games, don't. But if you're still finding "win at all costs" mentalities in unranked games, what makes you think making every game unranked will solve it?
Old 08-16-2007, 12:27 PM   #27
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutwolf
Sorry, I'll try and keep this next post simple for you, since you seem to be intimidated by big words.

Your logic is idiotic.

Between this, the buttercup, and uncompetitive sap comments, whatever it is you are overcompensating for, it must be big.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:28 PM   #28
Banned

The fact you saw the buttercup comment shows me you read the post but can't formulate a response.

I love being right.

Lock this thread, the king has spoken.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:28 PM   #29
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
S

Now, if you get rid of ranked games, what do you think will happen? Do you think people who are competitive will say, "Darn, ranked games are gone? I'm not a competitive person anymore?" Or do you think the more likely outcome is people keeping track of their record on their own and thus maintaining an equally competitive mentality, even if it isn't officially sanctioned by EA?
I think a lot of the plug pulling and cheddar will disappear. But if you need an online ranking to make up for whatever it is you feel inferior about. Cool with me.

I still do however agree with the OP. I got this stuff out of my system long ago.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:29 PM   #30
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
The fact you saw the buttercup comment shows me you read the post but can't formulate a response.

I love being right.

Lock this thread, the king has spoken.
Overcompensation.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:30 PM   #31
Banned

Quote:
if you need an online ranking...Cool with me.
I'm glad we see eye to eye finally
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2007, 12:33 PM   #32
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
I'm glad we see eye to eye finally
We always had. My point was, I never got why people got so fired up over online rankings, they would pull plugs, break out the cheddar or get so fired up about it.

Video football is a hobby for me, I got that competitive stuff out actually playing.

Now on to trying to convince everyone how smart you are.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »