Home

EA focused more on "The Ring" feature and "Trophies" then on the important things

This is a discussion on EA focused more on "The Ring" feature and "Trophies" then on the important things within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 12:48 AM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: EA focused more on "The Ring" feature and "Trophies" then on the important things

EA has really gone from the most liked company in history to the most hated in only 8 years. I remember when Madden was MADDEN. I don't even know what to call it these days. Its simply amazing how year in and year out EA kills this franchise. They act like they spend all this time, and listened to everything we had to say this year, Ortiz said he was "in the forums, checking what people had to say"... its a joke.

After all the gameplay talk, after all the hype, after all the features coming back... were still stuck with the biggest bug filled game to date (int glitch, big arms glitch, ghost running, punt glitch, turnovers like crazy, should we go on), a ring and trophy feature that replaced the old gamer level feature that no one used, and a new gameplay engine that is bearly noticable, not to mention a game that has more phantom fumbles and interceptions then the amount of sad looking players on the sideline.

Its amazing what Madden used to stand for and what most people think of it now. If they could, the guy was right, they would buy ever title they can, they don't want to compete. How does March Maddness do? How does Tiger Woods do? How does Tony Hawk do? How does NHL do? NBA Live doesn't even sell anymore. The only reason EA still sells is because they got the lisence to the most popular gaming sport in the world. They choose the most exciting sport and knew they would have to do nothing to sell units. All they need is NCAA and Madden, because quite frankly, thats all they sell. And it would sell with any company! EA isn't the leader in sports gaming, its the Yankees of gaming. Buy the two (NCAA and NFL) biggest stars you can, and hope for a championship (hope you still sell). Sooner or later, its not going to work... and after this year, and another year of the same... people will start to understand. Its a shame this exclusive lisence ever started, leave it to EA to lead the charge. Athought nothing will stop EA from having the lisence, its amazing to think about how well they were respected, to how fast they seem to be falling (in the gaming community).
Old 08-17-2007, 01:12 AM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: EA focused more on "The Ring" feature and "Trophies" then on the important things

It's a sad sad day when I would rather turn to some text sims than a Madden franchise.

Hopefully Greydog Software's next pro sim isn't too far off.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:21 AM   #43
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphsundin
It's a sad sad day when I would rather turn to some text sims than a Madden franchise.

Hopefully Greydog Software's next pro sim isn't too far off.
It's even sadder that a small shop like that can put together a much more comprehensive and detailed franchise mode than EA Sports. EA has only had something like 10 years to get it right.

I'm fairly bummed out about Madden again and contemplating a quick trip to Ebay for it. With some great games coming out this fall (personally excited about Bioshock), I don't know if I'll miss it. Only a few months away till the new College Hoops game. I guess seeing the same bugs over and over, year after year has just made me realize this is just a $60 roster update.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:48 AM   #44
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbshady

Its amazing what Madden used to stand for and what most people think of it now. If they could, the guy was right, they would buy ever title they can, they don't want to compete. How does March Maddness do? How does Tiger Woods do? How does Tony Hawk do? How does NHL do? NBA Live doesn't even sell anymore. The only reason EA still sells is because they got the lisence to the most popular gaming sport in the world. They choose the most exciting sport and knew they would have to do nothing to sell units. All they need is NCAA and Madden, because quite frankly, thats all they sell.
Just wanted to point out that NBA Live'07 sold pretty well (almost as much as NBA2K7) and EA also has a lot of other titles that sell well (Command & Conquer, Battlefield, Need for Speed, FIFA, The Sims ect). They're not just banking on the sales of their football titles, EA is a monster publisher that moves units across multiple genres...
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.

Last edited by DLaren; 08-17-2007 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:14 AM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbshady
EA has really gone from the most liked company in history to the most hated in only 8 years. I remember when Madden was MADDEN. I don't even know what to call it these days. Its simply amazing how year in and year out EA kills this franchise. They act like they spend all this time, and listened to everything we had to say this year, Ortiz said he was "in the forums, checking what people had to say"... its a joke.

After all the gameplay talk, after all the hype, after all the features coming back... were still stuck with the biggest bug filled game to date (int glitch, big arms glitch, ghost running, punt glitch, turnovers like crazy, should we go on), a ring and trophy feature that replaced the old gamer level feature that no one used, and a new gameplay engine that is bearly noticable, not to mention a game that has more phantom fumbles and interceptions then the amount of sad looking players on the sideline.

Its amazing what Madden used to stand for and what most people think of it now. If they could, the guy was right, they would buy ever title they can, they don't want to compete. How does March Maddness do? How does Tiger Woods do? How does Tony Hawk do? How does NHL do? NBA Live doesn't even sell anymore. The only reason EA still sells is because they got the lisence to the most popular gaming sport in the world. They choose the most exciting sport and knew they would have to do nothing to sell units. All they need is NCAA and Madden, because quite frankly, thats all they sell. And it would sell with any company! EA isn't the leader in sports gaming, its the Yankees of gaming. Buy the two (NCAA and NFL) biggest stars you can, and hope for a championship (hope you still sell). Sooner or later, its not going to work... and after this year, and another year of the same... people will start to understand. Its a shame this exclusive lisence ever started, leave it to EA to lead the charge. Athought nothing will stop EA from having the lisence, its amazing to think about how well they were respected, to how fast they seem to be falling (in the gaming community).
Amazing post. Especially the part about EA's fall from grace. It made me remember how excited I was back then (as a 12-13 year old) and seeing Madden 99 on the shelf and being introduced to franchise mode. I remember the soundtrack wasn't the current EA trax crap and it had really catchy menu tunes.(I wish I could get a hold of that music) Madden 2000 was even better with Ludacris' intro song, which to this day is a classic.

I was a freaking madden fan, and I loved the game. Then 2K hit, with it's flashy graphics and suplex tackles. But Madden had franchise mode and that hooked me in. Then 01, 02, 03 hit and I was firmly into the PS2 era. I must've played the hell out of 03, that soundtrack was amazing and I wouldn't be surprised if I still memorized those songs. (Especially considering there were only around 11 tracks in all)

Anyway, then 04 hit with Vick on the cover. I remember getting to blockbuster when it opened and grabbing a copy to rent (didn't have enough to buy) and brought it home to play. Needless to say, I ended up purchasing it not long after. But after a couple weeks of playing it, I just hit a wall. I remember the moment vividly, I was playing as the Bills and experienced a turn of events I could only attribute to the Catchup A.I. (We've all seen this at some point) Usually, I wouldn't mind this. But after years of the same crap occuring, I just lost my will to play it. I seriously just said to myself, this game hasn't progressed at all. Are they even trying anymore?

My friend had ESPN NFL Football (with Sapp on the cover) and I played it when I went over. Man, it just seemed so much more real, but it still had it's own share of problems. Anyway, I couldn't stomach Madden anymore, but when 2K5 hit, that was it for me and EA. Heh, I honestly gave 08 a try this week and while I did see an improvement, it just wasn't enough. Right now the game is sitting in it's blockbuster case, I have no motivation to even touch it.

In my CD rack, I still have the cases for Madden 2000 and 01, and looking at those and reading your post, I suddenly had all these memories flooding back. Oh, how the mighty have fallen. Hopefully EA wisens up and gets it's act together. If not, I'll always be thankful they at least blessed me with NHL 94. (Greatest sports game ever)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2007, 07:50 AM   #46
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

This thread should be renamed the "I hate EA and i'm a whiny *earmuffs* thread" LOL

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 08-17-2007, 08:11 AM   #47
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
This thread should be renamed the "I hate EA and i'm a whiny *earmuffs* thread" LOL
Maybe not a whiny *earmuffs*, but definitely a whiny person who likes to troll message boards. Thread locked.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »