Home

The Radio Guy Trilogy - for better or worse

This is a discussion on The Radio Guy Trilogy - for better or worse within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2007, 12:25 AM   #1
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23
The Radio Guy Trilogy - for better or worse

For those of us who care, as well for those of us who could care less, this really could be the Radio Guy's last year on Next Gen (if the int. Russell had w/ EA accuratley foreshadows a change for next year).

Given that, I was caused to reflect on his "impact" on the game of Madden. I am very interested to know why people liked him, disliked him or felt mixed about. Were his attempts to merge play-by-play AND color commentary duties (with a splash of homerism) really a failure or just an unappreciated experiment that arose out of complaints about the repetitiveness of Micheals/Madden commentary on last gen?

Please share your feelings and any other insight you may have about what has become one of the most infamous personalities in sports gaming.

I'll start with something I've heard no one mention before:

In franchise mode, ev'one knows in-game stat overlays are sorely missing. However, I decided to turn up the Radio Guy and discover that he actually mentions accumulated season stats throughout the game, such a touchdowns and catches on the year. I was very surprised that the Radio Guy had this function. Did anyone else know this? Did he do this in 06 and 07?

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2007, 01:19 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: The Radio Guy Trilogy - for better or worse

I understand what they were trying to do with the radio announcer. But I think the use of a homer announcer needs to be a secondary option, and he also needs to sound more like a homer. You should have the option of listening to the national broadcast crew or your local radio guy.

As for the regular announcers, I have no problem with bringing in a couple no-names to do it. In fact, I think having no-name announcers is better than Al and John. Big names don't have the time and are expensive to hire for this stuff, while some no-names can put in a ton of material.

Whatever they do, it needs to improve a lot. I feel like I'm playing Sega Genesis when listening to the sound of the game. I'm all for bringing in a real announce crew as the main option while leaving the radio guy as an alternative.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:20 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 11

Yeah,..He keeps track of stats but not often.

The Radio guys was cool the first year and it was interesting but in year 2, it got tired and now in year 3 everyone hates it.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:29 AM   #4
MVP

They could always do a homer type broadcast crew. They just did it wrong. We have digital radio, so they don't need to make it sound like a broadcast from the early 1900's.

As for the madden/michaels play by play it was outdated, boring, repetitive, and not very infomative.

It was good in the 32 bit days but it barely involved at all since then. Ea just continued to rehash the same lines and hire a new boring play by play to go alone with madden.

Just because the radio announcer is getting stale doesn't mean the outdated, recycled madden commentary is any better.

They are doing the same thing with the radio announcer that they did with madden.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:30 AM   #5
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

I don't like him, I don't hate him. I just wish there was an actual ESPN type presentation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2007, 02:38 AM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
I don't like him, I don't hate him. I just wish there was an actual ESPN type presentation.
They don't have to make it soundl like he is broadcasting across a cup to string connection. Modern A.M. radio sounds better.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:40 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

I say hire no names, if done right it can work out like it did for 2K

Dan Marino
Shannon Sharpe

Lem Barney
Elvin Bethea
Joey Browner

Clyde Simmons
Pete Metzelaars
Eugene Robinson
Terry McDaniel
Rob Moore
Alvin Harper
Old 08-22-2007, 09:55 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1
Angry Re: The Radio Guy Trilogy - for better or worse

I never thought the radio guy's commentary for next Gens was anything special, but that is the whole point most of the sports games that EA puts out each year are just recycled from previous years. I've been playing madden religiously for the current generation systems for over 4 years now and i've heard the same ole phrases and sayings from al and madden, it hardly ever changes. THe most I believe it ever changed was in 2006 when madden would give highlight in game commentary on a star nfl player. While it is understandable or plausible that current gen system capacities have been maxed out by the Ea programmers, there is a lot of room for work in Next Gen as the radio guy is just too mundane for an NFL broadcast. Why can't Ea get a decent nfl style presentation such as a ESPN into the game? Get the guys such as Boomer in the game! With all the money they've garnered from profits, I think they should and i know many would love this. Why not have a monday night football presentation with al and john madden, and different announcers for sunday games? Wouldn't it be possible with the next generation systems?

Sad as this may seem, we all know if EA wanted to it could, but it is resting on it's laurels knowing that many of us just want a NFL football game and since we have no choice. THis year's madden is by no way stellar at all, it's a very good game do not get me wrong but there's so much room for improvement. The more I end up playing madden on my Xbox 360 the more i realize the flaws as well, such as ludicrous DB AI with 51 inch vertical swat leaps,LB's with 80 speed able to go stride for stride with your 95 speed slot wr, way too many fumbles, broken franchise mode where Rb's routinely avg 2000 yds a year. In a way it is kind of unacceptable for next generation systems to have such issues, i mean this is the third year of the game. Ea keeps on adding what it seems like gimmicks (weapons feature, lead blocker etc etc.) yet are these different additions to the same game warrant or justify us as consumers forking over 50-60 dollars a year for? In my opinion Ea does just enough to keep us hoping that the problems for next year that are found in this year's will be fixed. But that's what they do it seems, they keep us coming back and hoping for something more, because in a sense we have no where else to look except to them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »