Home

zone plays sucks in this game

This is a discussion on zone plays sucks in this game within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-30-2007, 09:09 PM   #9
Pro

lbartlett_32's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: zone plays sucks in this game

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsdude
I guess I didn't explain myself properly.

The linebackers see a handoff and immediately run to the ball, but they run in a straight line instead of taking an angle.

Other times, they run straight into a blocker. I mean, there's no reason the basic 4-3 zone shouldn't be able to stop the run, but it's a horrible play. The linebackers disappear and before you know it, the opposing running back has 10-15 free yards before the safeties tackle him. No reason my safeties should be making as many tackles as they with the plays that I call.
The basic idea of a linebacker is to fill the hole. If there is a sweep outside, sure it would be nice for your outside backer to brush the defender and tackle the ball carrier. The idea is that the Outside backer takes on the lead blocker (not allowing him to get free or to the next level) while the MLB tackles the ball carrier. Sometimes the Center gets to the next level takes out the MLB (Next Level) and the ball carrier still has his lead blocker or one man to beat. Good MLB's such as Lewis and Urlacher are great against the run, because they are able to shed to block and still make the tackle.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:25 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsdude
I guess I didn't explain myself properly...

Other times, they run straight into a blocker....
It's called suction blocking in EA football games. One of the darker sides of its games. Don't get yourself too worked up over this aspect. It's been there for years. It'll only frustrate you even more.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:53 PM   #11
Be Massive

sportsdude's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsaQue
The only zone that is not ineirantly weak against a run is a cover one, which isn't really a zone since the underneath guys are playing man. Zone is a pass defense, not a run defense. Running cove2, 3, or 4 will leave you vulnerable to the ground game - that's football.
did you start liking football last week?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2007, 07:35 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsaQue
Zone is a pass defense, not a run defense. Running cove2, 3, or 4 will leave you vulnerable to the ground game - that's football.
that's exactly right

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »