Home

zone plays sucks in this game

This is a discussion on zone plays sucks in this game within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2007, 09:48 PM   #1
Be Massive

sportsdude's Arena

OVR: 21
zone plays sucks in this game

Defensive zones don't work. my players immediately run to the ball instead of staying at home and letting the play develop. This is extremely annoying.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2007, 02:52 AM   #2
Pro

Bballplaya72's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: zone plays sucks in this game

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsdude
Defensive zones don't work. my players immediately run to the ball instead of staying at home and letting the play develop. This is extremely annoying.
Letting the play develop? Sounds like you're talking about offense, not defense. In defense you always want to pursue the ball carrier, unless you have contain responsibilities, then you fill your gap and take away the cutback lane. You always want your defenders to flow to the ball, letting a play "develop" is what you want on the offensive side of the ball.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:55 AM   #3
I love meaty chics

ac11367's Arena

OVR: 7

By the time the play is allowed to develop, the defense is already behind the 8-ball.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 7

Zone Blitz > Zone. Especially with the CPU, if you play in zone coverage and not put any pressure, the CPU will find the gap and tear you apart.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 5

not really it depends on the defense you call, call nickel 9 velcro that defense is almost unbeatable everybody drops back into a coverage like a zone, but not man to man, o well i cant explain it, just try it, all i kno is that its a good defense with user vs. user, it also works against running qbs as well, as when the qb tries to run the player in the zone collapses and goes after qb.

but for the cpu im not sure but to me it seems like it should work inless u play a smart qb of course

Virginia Tech Hokies 11-3
Los Angeles Lakers 24-11
North Carolina Tarheels #1 17-0

The Games I'm Currently Playing
Nba 2k8
Madden Nfl 08
Ncaa Football 08

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2007, 02:35 PM   #6
Be Massive

sportsdude's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballplaya72
Letting the play develop? Sounds like you're talking about offense, not defense. In defense you always want to pursue the ball carrier, unless you have contain responsibilities, then you fill your gap and take away the cutback lane. You always want your defenders to flow to the ball, letting a play "develop" is what you want on the offensive side of the ball.
I guess I didn't explain myself properly.

The linebackers see a handoff and immediately run to the ball, but they run in a straight line instead of taking an angle.

Other times, they run straight into a blocker. I mean, there's no reason the basic 4-3 zone shouldn't be able to stop the run, but it's a horrible play. The linebackers disappear and before you know it, the opposing running back has 10-15 free yards before the safeties tackle him. No reason my safeties should be making as many tackles as they with the plays that I call.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:53 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

Zones work in certain situations and that is about it. If you want to run a zone for your main defense, I would suggest using a zone blitz and playmaking certain guys based off what your opponent is doing. Zones don't work in this game, because the front four don't get pressure fast enough, leaving the holes in the zone to be exposed.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:42 PM   #8
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsdude
I guess I didn't explain myself properly.

The linebackers see a handoff and immediately run to the ball, but they run in a straight line instead of taking an angle.

Other times, they run straight into a blocker. I mean, there's no reason the basic 4-3 zone shouldn't be able to stop the run, but it's a horrible play. The linebackers disappear and before you know it, the opposing running back has 10-15 free yards before the safeties tackle him. No reason my safeties should be making as many tackles as they with the plays that I call.
The only zone that is not ineirantly weak against a run is a cover one, which isn't really a zone since the underneath guys are playing man. Zone is a pass defense, not a run defense. Running cove2, 3, or 4 will leave you vulnerable to the ground game - that's football.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »