Home

CPU Deep Ball

This is a discussion on CPU Deep Ball within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2007, 11:30 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: CPU Deep Ball

I think throwing the deep ball is easier than ever. I never used to throw it because it felt cheap and only people that suck would run fly routes..come on you know that's true. But this year I run a lot of deep posts and even some fly routes that I would never run before and it just seems easier. Not in a cheap way like before..just easier.

Also just wanted to say that the cpu has never thrown anything more than 10 yards against me.
R.I.P. #21
Old 09-03-2007, 03:30 AM   #10
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphsundin
I think throwing the deep ball is easier than ever. I never used to throw it because it felt cheap and only people that suck would run fly routes..come on you know that's true. But this year I run a lot of deep posts and even some fly routes that I would never run before and it just seems easier. Not in a cheap way like before..just easier.

Also just wanted to say that the cpu has never thrown anything more than 10 yards against me.
I can get the deep ball once in a while but it is usually because the DB AI takes a bad angle and goes for the pick. I have never had the bomb over the top. my QB only has about 90 power so that may be it? it seems as if i push up once i throw i am still not getting that nice rainblow arc.

the cpu has never attempted a bomb. the deepest is about 25-30 yards and never a streak.

honestly, either they have the stupidest testers in the business or they just don't care about the hard core player.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:17 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2Green
I have yet to have the CPU throw a bomb or any other deep ball against me. I played a game the other day,trying to bait the cpu, but no luck. I feel like I dont even have to defend it at all.

Comments?
It's all about pass protection. If the CPU QB has the time, he'll throw it deep. Just last night, I was playing against the Cardinals, and I could not apply any pressure on Matt Leinhart, what so ever. He kept throwing bomb after bomb downfield to Fitzgerald and Boldin. Only once or twice were the passes 50-60 yards downfield. Most of them were 30-40, but it was because he had all the time in the world that he was able to do so.

And for those who say it's impossible to throw deep yourself...you're nuts. Depending on who he's matched up against, I can get a deep ball to Lee Evans where he burns the CB and has a good 3-4 yards of separation downfield. Key words here are "depending on who he's matched up against". I CANNOT do this when it's Champ Bailey or Asante Samuel covering him. But when they get tired and a backup comes in? It's on!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2007, 10:39 AM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
It's all about pass protection. If the CPU QB has the time, he'll throw it deep. Just last night, I was playing against the Cardinals, and I could not apply any pressure on Matt Leinhart, what so ever. He kept throwing bomb after bomb downfield to Fitzgerald and Boldin. Only once or twice were the passes 50-60 yards downfield. Most of them were 30-40, but it was because he had all the time in the world that he was able to do so.

And for those who say it's impossible to throw deep yourself...you're nuts. Depending on who he's matched up against, I can get a deep ball to Lee Evans where he burns the CB and has a good 3-4 yards of separation downfield. Key words here are "depending on who he's matched up against". I CANNOT do this when it's Champ Bailey or Asante Samuel covering him. But when they get tired and a backup comes in? It's on!
After 5 games I have 1 sack. So I think the cpu has plenty of time to fire one deep on me.
R.I.P. #21
Old 09-03-2007, 10:42 AM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano
I can get the deep ball once in a while but it is usually because the DB AI takes a bad angle and goes for the pick. I have never had the bomb over the top. my QB only has about 90 power so that may be it? it seems as if i push up once i throw i am still not getting that nice rainblow arc.

the cpu has never attempted a bomb. the deepest is about 25-30 yards and never a streak.

honestly, either they have the stupidest testers in the business or they just don't care about the hard core player.
I'm playing with Charlie Frye so your QB is surely better than mine. When I throw deep it's usually when my receiver is running side by side with the DB. I throw a bullet to the WRs shoulder away from the DB. One time however, I was able to throw a lob deep ball to Winslow. It was a wheel route and he had toasted a linebacker so i just lobbed it up and he ran under it very nicely.
R.I.P. #21
Old 09-03-2007, 01:27 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 2

It isn't difficult to throw deep with a player with the speed weapon. I'm on my second franchise(Because I made some bad decisions in the first), but in the first, I traded for Kevin Curtis. With his speed and Jamarcus' cannon arm, Curtis lead the league in yardage and that was also with having quite a bit of drops. In year two, I decided not to get Kevin Curtis and instead traded for Troy Williamson, and I've had the same results. When I throw it up, Troy may not have too much separation, but by the time the ball gets there, Troy has 3-4 yards separation and can run in for a TD.

As for throwing deep to the bigger slower guys, yeah, I think all you can do is throw a high bullet so that they stop and jump for the ball. Otherwise it seems they won't even make a play on the ball.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:06 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 15

I think the purpose of this thread was the lack of CPU Deep Passes. If you (user) playcall right you can complete passes deep in this game.

The Problem is the CPU almost NEVER throw s deep. Which makes for a very boring game knowing that you do not have to defend passes no further than 20 yards from the line of scrimmage.

It's a HUGE flaw in the AI and it hurts the experience of playing this game in a major way, when you go into a game against the league's best deep threats and they never even run go routes in Madden08.

It's like every team in this game runs some variation of the West Coast offense in this game. No matter what their personnel is. And it's really frustrating that the AI is so bad in this area even after 3 years on NextGen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2007, 12:43 AM   #16
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubbs
I think the purpose of this thread was the lack of CPU Deep Passes. If you (user) playcall right you can complete passes deep in this game.

The Problem is the CPU almost NEVER throw s deep. Which makes for a very boring game knowing that you do not have to defend passes no further than 20 yards from the line of scrimmage.

It's a HUGE flaw in the AI and it hurts the experience of playing this game in a major way, when you go into a game against the league's best deep threats and they never even run go routes in Madden08.

It's like every team in this game runs some variation of the West Coast offense in this game. No matter what their personnel is. And it's really frustrating that the AI is so bad in this area even after 3 years on NextGen.
I agree. The CPU will throw at least one WR screen per game but not a WR streak.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »