Home

Will OS ever review Madden 08?

This is a discussion on Will OS ever review Madden 08? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2007, 01:19 AM   #25
P2K
Banned

OVR: 34
Re: Will OS ever review Madden 08?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
If those who haven't donated shouldn't have a voice on the site, then why let them join? If their voice doesn't count, then why even let them speak?

I'm not trying to step on toes here because those that have donated should be heard before someone like myself, but if they had stepped up and said the same thing, would it have made any difference?
Because unlike othe sites that are subscription-based, OS is free. Absolutely free.

Free of charge.

Not only that, nobody on the staff here is being payed to do their jobs.

It's pretty much a "good ol' fun, collective minds getting together" type of place.

So if that is the case, how in the hell can you get upset and mad that a review isn't up at the time you think it should be up?

Despite OS being a premier sports gaming site, it is very different from the rest.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2007, 01:21 AM   #26
P2K
Banned

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldogg
i see no one complain on ign or gamespot about people giving the site money. it should not be an issue here either.

There is no issue because in order to view anything, you have to pay as soon as you open the site.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:04 AM   #27
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2K
Because unlike othe sites that are subscription-based, OS is free. Absolutely free.

Free of charge.

Not only that, nobody on the staff here is being payed to do their jobs.

It's pretty much a "good ol' fun, collective minds getting together" type of place.

So if that is the case, how in the hell can you get upset and mad that a review isn't up at the time you think it should be up?

Despite OS being a premier sports gaming site, it is very different from the rest.
I'm not upset at all. I really could care less as I've already decided to pass on the game this year. I was just agreeing with the OP that a review a month after the game is released is rather meaningless. By this time, enough info has been brought to the forefront by other sites and posters of this site that the majority of people have already made a decision to buy the game or not. So the review really doesn't serve much of a point. While the reviews here may be looked upon with more merit than those of other sites because of the attention to detail they give to all aspects of the game, it's basically too late to benefit anybody.

I'm not sure what other sites your talking about that require money for a subscription, but as far as I know, all of the other reviews I've read on the game were free of charge (IGN, Gamespot, etc.).

I do understand that the atmosphere is unique here, that is the reason I've transitioned from the 2K boards over the last several months, but I also think that if the reviewers are too busy to review the game, then maybe pass the buck on to someone else, so that the members here can reap the benefits.

I'll leave it at that, though. No reason to go back and forth on this issue as the points have been made for both sides.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:34 AM   #28
Legend

Shaver's Arena

OVR: 27

Well, let me speak on this from a few perspectives (in one voice). As the Managing Editor, the person writing the review, and a Sports Gamer -- OS is not the other sites in a few different ways that directly relate to the topic of this thread.

#1 -- We are not used by the industry to move games in the same way as other sites. Developers who want to move games through a site, provide those sites with games weeks in advance of release so that they can complete the review on release day in an effort to move units. OS receives games after release day and, in many cases, the reviewers have to buy the games themselves. Therefore, the review is based on the quality of the product and not used as a direct marketing tool (to the same extent) as sites that get the game early. However, until OS is given those games early (and the unit to play them on - a huge component that we also lack), we have to be who we are.

#2 -- The OS crowd is a different animal. The large majority of OS readers (I'd say 90%+) have already made the decision to make the purchase before the game was even released. We will not sway those readers. The readers that we will sway... deserve a complete a total look at the game. That's what this window of time provides.

#3 -- Madden is simply complex. Madden is the biggest review of the year. It's THE sports game. Throw on top of that the fact that this year's game is all over the road for me (personally), I have to be fair. During the first 10 days I had the game, the direction of the review would have been completely different from one day to the next. I have literally gone from love to hate a half dozen times and, to be fair, I, as the Reviewer, have to find that place where I know how I feel. I don't believe that can happen in 5 days. It takes 5 days for the "new" to rub off. That's like writing a story without all the facts.

In closing, let me say that, I agree. I am not proud of the fact that this review has taken a little extra time. However, I'm not going to put anything out there that I don't stand by. The review will be live by Wednesday.

Thank you for your patience.

Check out my BLOG - Remodeling Clay

Follow me on Twitter: @RemodelingClay
Old 09-10-2007, 10:41 AM   #29
Banned

OVR: 4

^^^true indeed and well said.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:55 AM   #30
I love meaty chics

ac11367's Arena

OVR: 7

Buying the game yourself and make your own conclusion = $60 + tax

Paying this forum's admin/reviewers a salary for (what you perceived to be timely) reviews = much more than $60
Old 09-10-2007, 11:05 AM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay_OS
The review will be live by Wednesday. Thank you for your patience.
And there you have it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2007, 11:06 AM   #32
Pro

Dienekes's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay_OS
Well, let me speak on this from a few perspectives (in one voice). As the Managing Editor, the person writing the review, and a Sports Gamer -- OS is not the other sites in a few different ways that directly relate to the topic of this thread.

#1 -- We are not used by the industry to move games in the same way as other sites. Developers who want to move games through a site, provide those sites with games weeks in advance of release so that they can complete the review on release day in an effort to move units. OS receives games after release day and, in many cases, the reviewers have to buy the games themselves. Therefore, the review is based on the quality of the product and not used as a direct marketing tool (to the same extent) as sites that get the game early. However, until OS is given those games early (and the unit to play them on - a huge component that we also lack), we have to be who we are.

#2 -- The OS crowd is a different animal. The large majority of OS readers (I'd say 90%+) have already made the decision to make the purchase before the game was even released. We will not sway those readers. The readers that we will sway... deserve a complete a total look at the game. That's what this window of time provides.

#3 -- Madden is simply complex. Madden is the biggest review of the year. It's THE sports game. Throw on top of that the fact that this year's game is all over the road for me (personally), I have to be fair. During the first 10 days I had the game, the direction of the review would have been completely different from one day to the next. I have literally gone from love to hate a half dozen times and, to be fair, I, as the Reviewer, have to find that place where I know how I feel. I don't believe that can happen in 5 days. It takes 5 days for the "new" to rub off. That's like writing a story without all the facts.

In closing, let me say that, I agree. I am not proud of the fact that this review has taken a little extra time. However, I'm not going to put anything out there that I don't stand by. The review will be live by Wednesday.

Thank you for your patience.
Clay, Thanks so much for your response. Well spoken. I appreciate you addressing the issue forthrightly (sp?). I am sure your review will be one of the best and fairest out there, it always is.

In the past mods have also reviewed (Fossen for example). Perhaps I was somewhat confused by that. As for the couple of people who maintained the attitude "pay them or review it yourself" I think you missed the point. I am not angry or upset, I was offering something as a member to the site staff that will do nothing but benefit them. My only goal was to offer constructive criticism to a site I love to utilize.

I think mods here do a great job in making the forums a great place to visit (and I understand how hard Madden month must be for them) but I do believe the strictness could be dialed back a notch or two. It has gotten slightly over the top in the last year or so...

Thanks for listening and explaining!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »