Home

Madden NFL 08 Review (360)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 08 Review (360) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2007, 09:02 PM   #49
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: Madden NFL 08 Review (360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
lol then what is Madden in comparison? Shouldn't Madden be expected to be held to the same standard? Or is it only APF that should be held to 2K5's presentation standard? This is the Madden forum btw - and Madden has the EsPN license that 2K5 used to have. Although I don't believe it's all about the license.
Spank I cant believe you have not gotten madden yet. It is by far the best game play madden ever. You know how much I loved 2k5 to me this is the best game since then. Try it play it like the way you did 2k5 and I think you might like it
Old 09-16-2007, 10:30 PM   #50
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram209
Spank I cant believe you have not gotten madden yet. It is by far the best game play madden ever. You know how much I loved 2k5 to me this is the best game since then. Try it play it like the way you did 2k5 and I think you might like it
I played it over a friend's house about a week after it released. And he's a HARDcore Madden PS2 fan. This was his first NG Madden experience and he was bored/disappointed. We both found the turnover issue perplexing - although strangely they started to seem like punts/change of possessions after a while. He returned it for the PS2 version. My view wasn't as harsh as his was, but I think that's in part because I know where the game came from w/Madden '06. In the end there was a lot more that I didn't like than I did like.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 09-16-2007, 11:58 PM   #51
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
lol then what is Madden in comparison? Shouldn't Madden be expected to be held to the same standard? Or is it only APF that should be held to 2K5's presentation standard? This is the Madden forum btw - and Madden has the EsPN license that 2K5 used to have. Although I don't believe it's all about the license.
I don't find Field Pass to be any more worthwhile in the presentation department than what Madden has. Field Pass is so cringe-worthy and horrid I turned it off after like 3 games. It's up to 2K to live up to 2K standards, not the other way around. Simple fact is this: APF is just a port of 2K5 stripped to the very core 3 years later. You mean to tell me they couldn't have incorporated some presentation with all that time they had to work on it? Or is their only talent in that department to just borrow ESPN's overlays? Face facts, the great presentation from 2K5 had more to do with ESPN's willingness to donate everything they had to simply pop into the game than 2K's creative prowess in that department. Now that the ESPN license is gone, so is the material in question. I tell you what else.....the MLB and NHL 2K games aren't exactly stellar in the presentation category either since the license went away. Explain that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2007, 12:36 AM   #52
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
I don't find Field Pass to be any more worthwhile in the presentation department than what Madden has. Field Pass is so cringe-worthy and horrid I turned it off after like 3 games. It's up to 2K to live up to 2K standards, not the other way around. Simple fact is this: APF is just a port of 2K5 stripped to the very core 3 years later. You mean to tell me they couldn't have incorporated some presentation with all that time they had to work on it? Or is their only talent in that department to just borrow ESPN's overlays? Face facts, the great presentation from 2K5 had more to do with ESPN's willingness to donate everything they had to simply pop into the game than 2K's creative prowess in that department. Now that the ESPN license is gone, so is the material in question. I tell you what else.....the MLB and NHL 2K games aren't exactly stellar in the presentation category either since the license went away. Explain that.
My explanation would be... you're talking more about APF in the Madden forum than about Madden itself lol. Since you feel "2K has to live up to 2K standards", you answered my question

EDIT: you do know the point you made about ESPN makes no sense. On one hand you're faulting presentation in APF, then said:
Quote:
"the great presentation from 2K5 had more to do with ESPN's willingness to donate everything they had to simply pop into the game than 2K's creative prowess in that department"
I don't know about presentation in NHL2K, but most would say presentation in MLB is done quite well. Curiously you didn't mention NBA2K, which improved significantly the year AFTER they lost the EsPN license. And improved on what the did the year following that. So your point makes no sense.

I still find it funny you're making these arguments here

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS

Last edited by spankdatazz22; 09-17-2007 at 01:05 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:10 AM   #53
Pro

OVR: 6

Well, I can't speak for everyone else, but I just made my comment because every time I come to OS, I get beat over the head with how bad the presentation in Madden is, now I get treated to a whole review putting the final nail into the horse's coffin. I don't see the same criticism thrown in 2K's direction, so I'm left to assume that the general consensus(here at least) is that the field pass crap, corny player chatter and 4 year old play by play commentary = good presentation? Bizarro world in the flesh I say. I think Madden's presentation is serviceable, theres nothing that makes me cringe like field pass, or hearing Mike Singletary sound like SGT. Slaughter. I generally immerse myself into the game too much to worry about stuff like that anyway.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:44 AM   #54
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
Madden is sim and APF is arcade? What are you guys smoking. Oh well to each his own, I guess if you like something enough you can make yourself believe anything.
Same holds true for both EA AND 2K fanboys.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:04 PM   #55
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
My explanation would be... you're talking more about APF in the Madden forum than about Madden itself lol. Since you feel "2K has to live up to 2K standards", you answered my question
If you peruse this thread you'll see i wasn't the one who brought up APF.

Quote:
EDIT: you do know the point you made about ESPN makes no sense. On one hand you're faulting presentation in APF, then said:

"the great presentation from 2K5 had more to do with ESPN's willingness to donate everything they had to simply pop into the game than 2K's creative prowess in that department"
It's a direct rebuttal to YOUR comment about how it's "not about the license".

Quote:
I don't know about presentation in NHL2K, but most would say presentation in MLB is done quite well. Curiously you didn't mention NBA2K, which improved significantly the year AFTER they lost the EsPN license. And improved on what the did the year following that. So your point makes no sense.
I haven't played NBA. Actually my point makes perfect sense. Whether or not there have been "improvements" in 2K games it's plain to see the games haven't come close to the level of presentation they had when they had the ESPN license. The evidence at hand is contrary to your statement about it "not being about the license". It clearly IS about the license.

Quote:
I still find it funny you're making these arguments here
Seems to me you're doing the same thing. LOL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2007, 01:21 PM   #56
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
Whether or not there have been "improvements" in 2K games it's plain to see the games haven't come close to the level of presentation they had when they had the ESPN license.
Actually that's not true. College Hoops has a half-time and post game show. It also has a weekly recap show, on top of a preseason show and a Selection Sunday Show, all of which are significantly longer than what was found in NFL 2K5. I would say that CH2K7 had actually surpassed NFL 2K5's presentation. The NBA and NHL games, while they haven't reach or surpassed NFL 2K5's presentation, have much better presentation than their own counterparts from the ESPN days.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »