Home

Madden NFL 08 Review (360)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 08 Review (360) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2007, 02:11 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Madden NFL 08 Review (360)

We have just posted our Madden NFL 08 review. Find out what Clay Shaver had to say about it.
"I’m a fraud.

While that may not comes as a shock to some of the “fans” of my previous reviews, you have to at least be surprised to hear me admit it. You see, I’ve been living a lie for the past six years and change here at Operation Sports. Now, in my defense, I didn’t realize I was a hypocrite poser till just recently. You see, I’ve spent countless hours reading the message board here at OS and I’ve always gotten a good laugh out of those folks that took the time to complain about the little things.

The socks are too long.

The end zone is not the right color.

The suites at enter field name here are not pointed the right direction.

While these are extreme examples, those folks were always shouted down with cries of "it’s all about gameplay!"
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2007, 02:58 PM   #2
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Madden NFL 08 Review (360)

I'm a lot more critical of the gameplay than you. You didn't mention the sub par player interaction(despite gang tackling finally making it in) or any of the bugs, but a nice review none the less.

The lack of presentation, psychic DBs/LBs, landmine effect, silly blocking AI, limited blocking interaction, excessive turnovers, stat bugs, franchise bugs... and so one, would draw a 6/10 from me. For me, the game is slightly more fun than it is frustrating.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:27 PM   #3
All Star

JohnnytheSkin's Arena

OVR: 33

Would you like the invisibility cloak or the flame shield?

Good review and I agree on all points. Even with the recycled commentary, NCAA still has enough presentation to keep me interested (though I really miss the team specific entrances). Madden just lacks that, and while the gameplay is much improved (though the weapons are "eh") it's now year three of lackluster presentation. I like the stat overlays...I mean they have that big black bar on the bottom, why not use it for something other than some thuggish avatar?

The niggling gameplay issues still exist, the phantom tackles are still there, Mario running is not COMPLETELY gone, and the line interaction blows. However, I agree that the game just isn't that "fun", though at least I won't be trading it before the mid-season this time.

As for the cloak and shield, I'll toss them in for free...I think you'll need them.

Oh, sorry...I got distracted by the internet. - Scott Pilgrim
Old 09-12-2007, 04:03 PM   #4
Farewell and 'ado

DocHolliday's Arena

OVR: 19

This game should not get the same score as APF. even though APF may be a tad limited, I have not one across one intense where the game does not do what it advertised to do.

Last edited by DocHolliday; 09-12-2007 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:28 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 7

It was a good, honest article. I was hoping he would talk more about the turnover issues, but its there. I unfortunately am not so lenient about that problem as others, but here's hoping that some miracle patch will come along and save my 60 dollars. I also love when people talk about how to play a game like theyre way is so much more valid than another's because they have some inside edge or feel like they are playing the game that the developers deemed it to be played. It makes me feel like more of an *** for being on the forums looking for answers and asking for help. I must be the worst Madden player ever!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2007, 04:29 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

I disagree about APF. I think that game blows Madden out of the water and deserves a higher score. Madden is boring. APF is fun. Enough said. After all, isn't that the bottom line when it comes to these games: whether you have FUN playing them or not.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:32 PM   #7
Farewell and 'ado

DocHolliday's Arena

I meant that APF should be rated higher. madden definetly does not do what is advertised
Old 09-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #8
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

This review felt more like an editorial that I'd read on ESPN's page 2, than it did a review.

I don't think most people consider presentation a "little thing". While it may be trumped by most by Gameplay in the short list of what can make or break a game, I think most consider presentation nearly as important as graphics as a key piece of the enitire package.

And while this is an obvious sore spot for the reivewer, I would have liked to have read more about these other facets of the game. I don't think there was any mention of the graphics/player models/field/crowd/sideline graphics/textures and animations. Besides the new branching animations system, it would have been nice to read about actual running/passing/defense part of the game. There was an explanation of how the weapons system is supposed to work, but there were no examples of how the weapons "actually" work in game. You mention that they remind you not to throw to a guy like Champ Bailey, but provide no in game example to show that they actually matter within the game. Does Bailey's weapon actually make him play different that other top tier CB's? Did he eat your QB up when you did throw in his direction? What about coverages, audibles and playbooks?

For being called the "game of the year" and one that required a lot of time because it was so deep, when it was questioned why this review was taking so long to get out, this review got much less attention to detail than reviews for the two other football games this year (NCAA and APF).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »