Home

Turnovers explained in length

This is a discussion on Turnovers explained in length within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2007, 10:36 AM   #17
I smell sulfur...

Kodii Rockets's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Turnovers explained in length

Good Post Blue, I would love to play you online, you sound like a gamer. Especially since my team is the bears, real bears fan, not a band wagon boy, btw we still love rex g baby...

Follow this link to view 10 Yard Fight on Operation Sports >>10YF on OS
Old 09-29-2007, 11:27 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdon2k
Hey, thanks for the props Cower, glad someone feels my pain lol. And thanks for being rational Blue, and trying to see both sides. I do agree that playing style does have some effect on play as I have been able to reduce some of the turnovers protecting all of the time. But the problem is it only reduces them, like takes them from 16 to 8 or so. Still too high. When I am playing online and I know I am playing someone I should beat with ease and I have to work my butt off to stay in the game or win due to the ball popping out all the time, I have to say, it's frustrating.

That leads me to another point you brought up, sliders. First, I refuse to obsess over fixing and tweaking a game that should have been playable out of the box. The people of EA sports get paid to tweak and test these games, not me. I have a job of my own, and it doesn't include playing hour after hour, tweaking a broken game for some company that doesn't give a rat's ***. Secondly, you can't use sliders during online ranked games (which is all I play due to the bad A.I.). So even getting them from a site like this is pointless. HAVE EA release a patch that adjusts sliders (if that's possible). It's their job not mine...

As for the interceptions, I have been able to curb them by hitting slant and corner routes, but it kinda sucks that I have to limit my offense because of the buggy secondary. Sometimes, Ill throw a button hook and have my guy seal the DB and stop moving (for accuracy) bullet the ball (sometimes precision passing down so only my guy can catch the ball) and the defender warps through my man who should have him sealed, and grab the ball. Ridiculous! The worst part of all is that being from Indiana, I love using the Colts. And having to play them as if I was using Baltimore is really disapointing. I am not saying I would want to air the ball out all the time, but I have pretty much reduced to running a west coast offense with dinks and dunks making up my passing game. It sucks.

So back to the big picture, so I played Madden 08 for Ps2 last night. Pretty enjoyable, but the game kinda messed me up because I had to think/strategize because there are so many options offensively. I had to worry about the streak routes, which are pretty ineffective on next gen. I am still not sure I can go back though, the field looks like you're playing in an indoor arena field (it just looks SO small). Also, momentum isn't much of a factor during the players movements. But that's another topic. So back to the bigger picture, I think I will not play next gen until it gets patched (actually that's my biggest worry,that EA does not believe there is an issue at all), so here I am with $1000 sitting in the entertainment system (360, PS3) reduced to playing 08 on a system I could have got for $70 used. Luckily, my wife doesn't know.
I understand and believe you. I've also read your posts in the patch thread. The difference with you and me though, is that you play online and I play offline franchise mode. For online play the game might really be broken cause you can't edit the sliders which means the game is reduced to a contest of who exploits the video game the best. That's the reason I don't play online.

About tweaking the sliders, I'm so used to it now that it feels automatic. But it's completely ok if you don't want to bother with it, I know it's pretty tiresome.

But in the end I think the offline game is more of a sim now than ever before if you really dedicate yourself to play it like one. It's not easy and I'm still not done with the process myself. But comparing the games I get now to when I started playing out of the box, I'm having more fun with Madden than ever before. The reason to that is that I see more REALISM in the game than ever before. It's not perfect but then again, any one-and-only type realism doesn't exhist in the real NFL either.

I'll post the sliders tomorrow. We'll see if it helps somebody in any way.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:34 AM   #19
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.a.sick
Good Post Blue, I would love to play you online, you sound like a gamer. Especially since my team is the bears, real bears fan, not a band wagon boy, btw we still love rex g baby...
Thanks man! Being such an NFL nut I end up like this

Yeah, we'd probably have some good games. But I don't have gold Live, since I don't really play any games online
Old 09-29-2007, 12:19 PM   #20
Banned

arichzona's Arena

You did do a very good job of breaking everything down for those who do not know football. However, as was posted earlier.......the cpu throwing picks is the problem that cannot be consistently addressed. I have had those great games where I don't pick anyone off, sometimes two in a row - then.........I there is a game where I pick off six which since I wanted to like the game so much, I can almost justify - I tried to do so. However, when the CPU QB makes such horrible decisions that he acts as if he is actually throwing at my defenders as if it is playing some sort of football-dodgeball hybrid.......it is time to move on.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:42 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 3

the only logical explanation is:

THIS IS AN EA GAME.
A company with no competition.
Just imagine if you were the only kid applying for college in the USA.
Would you actually need to do "A+" work to get in, NO.
You do what was needed to get in, because no one else will take your spot if you not up to par.

But I dont really have a problem with turnovers on either NCAA or MADDEN.
Especially not with fumbles because they mostly get reversed.
But the INTS were not a big problem, only every now and then, which I just chalk up to a bad game.

We need to be worried more about the disappearing players and player edit glitches.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2007, 01:01 PM   #22
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by arichzona
You did do a very good job of breaking everything down for those who do not know football. However, as was posted earlier.......the cpu throwing picks is the problem that cannot be consistently addressed. I have had those great games where I don't pick anyone off, sometimes two in a row - then.........I there is a game where I pick off six which since I wanted to like the game so much, I can almost justify - I tried to do so. However, when the CPU QB makes such horrible decisions that he acts as if he is actually throwing at my defenders as if it is playing some sort of football-dodgeball hybrid.......it is time to move on.
All I can do to reply is to be stupid, sound like an idiot and deny it on my own account. The most picks I've gotten is 3. I agree with the fact that I too get INT's that I think I shouldn't have gotten but in the end that's ok cause my interception TOTALS aren't unrealistic. The totals are what matters.

I really believe that the solution to the CPU turnovers is understanding how the game works and what sliders really affect what. This is a work in progress for me but I can't be too far off.

I'll post a short description of my playing style on defense. I call both man-to-man and zone coverages (mostly Cover 3 if it's zone). I mostly match my DB's with the number of WR's the offense comes out with. The exception to this is if I have a strong feeling on whether it's going to be a run or a pass. I use the 46 normal defense a lot as a run defense. If the CPU is throwing to one guy a lot I highlight that receiver. I almost always have 2 deep safeties. I rarely blitz. I control the MLB most of the time (the FS when in 46 defense) and I really stick with my assignment. My philosophy is the bend-but-don't break defense. When I tackle, I usually go low with the hit stick. I very rarely hit high cause I tend to miss that way. When defending I go for the pass break up cause otherwise I also tend to miss. I don't use bump-n-run too much cause if the WR's beat it I'll get hit for 20 yards. My team is the Vikings with real life DB's.

After the 7 games I've played I'm giving up 82 YPG rushing, 176 YPG passing and 18.3 PPG. Offensively I average 128 YPG rushing, 163 YPG passing and 17.2 PPG. I have 2 defensive TD's. I'm looking to boost the CPU offense a little but give up less points by focusing on not turning the ball over even more than I am now.

Last edited by Blue_Monkey; 09-29-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:02 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 5

i was fooling around with the sliders and tried something new.i was think maybe if i increase wr catching it would make them react to the ball faster and go for the ball more.tried it and it seems to be working so far i'm seeing fewer ints and to my suprise less fumbles.weird huh.anyway turned catching way up to about 75 for cpu and human .anyone else tried this
Old 09-29-2007, 01:23 PM   #24
Banned

arichzona's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Monkey
All I can do to reply is to be stupid, sound like an idiot and deny it on my own account. The most picks I've gotten is 3. I agree with the fact that I too get INT's that I think I shouldn't have gotten but in the end that's ok cause my interception TOTALS aren't unrealistic. The totals are what matters.

I really believe that the solution to the CPU turnovers is understanding how the game works and what sliders really affect what. This is a work in progress for me but I can't be too far off.

I'll post a short description of my playing style on defense. I call both man-to-man and zone coverages (mostly Cover 3 if it's zone). I mostly match my DB's with the number of WR's the offense comes out with. The exception to this is if I have a strong feeling on whether it's going to be a run or a pass. I use the 46 normal defense a lot as a run defense. If the CPU is throwing to one guy a lot I highlight that receiver. I almost always have 2 deep safeties. I rarely blitz. I control the MLB most of the time (the FS when in 46 defense) and I really stick with my assignment. My philosophy is the bend-but-don't break defense. When I tackle, I usually go low with the hit stick. I very rarely hit high cause I tend to miss that way. When defending I go for the pass break up cause otherwise I also tend to miss. I don't use bump-n-run too much cause if the WR's beat it I'll get hit for 20 yards. My team is the Vikings with real life DB's.

After the 7 games I've played I'm giving up 82 YPG rushing, 176 YPG passing and 18.3 PPG. Offensively I average 128 YPG rushing, 163 YPG passing and 17.2 PPG. I have 2 defensive TD's. I'm looking to boost the CPU offense a little but give up less points by focusing on turning the ball over even less than I am now.
I know what you are thinking, and if they work for you - great for you. I thought that way for a while also. Since then, I have gone to the extent of playing on all-madden, with the cpu sliders set @ 100 for accuracy and WR catching, with my AWR & INT @ zero, and just in case the game did not recognize zero as an actual value, I tried 99 & 1. With this setup I tried knockdowns (hum) at every value from 20-100. I have had runs of games (5-7 games) where they play great football. But when the best QB's in the game make consistently horrible decisions, the game is flawed. If this was not an issue I think there would probably not be threads on the board solely dealing with the int problem.

I did have a posted set that did fix the int problem. It did. However it fixed it by having the unrealistic comp% (always 70% or higher). While that did eliminate the issue of the cpu throwing at your defenders, it is almost equally as frustrating knowing that if they drop back and you don't sack them - they will complete the pass. With this set the cpu was going for between 140-260 each game......

The problem remains that the cpu throws the ball AT your defenders, DB AWR is too high, and the catch ratings for most DB's is too high. If you have not had a game where you picked them off more than three times, count your blessings and enjoy the game. You are very fortunate and I would love to be in your situation.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »