Home

Class Action Suit Against EA?

This is a discussion on Class Action Suit Against EA? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-20-2007, 01:23 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Class Action Suit Against EA?

After turning in a complaint to ConsumerAffairs.com regarding the bugs in Madden NFL 2008 for Xbox 360, I got the following e-mail in return:

"Hello. My name is Richard Doherty and I am a consumer protection attorney in Chicago. I am responding to your request to consumeraffairs.com to be contacted by an attorney regarding the problems you are experiencing with Electronic Arts' Madden 08.
We are investigating the possibility of filing a class action lawsuit regarding the glitches that plague this game and have deprived countless consumers of the full value of what they paid for.
If you are interested in speaking with us regarding this problem, please either email me at [email protected] or call me at (312) 372-8822.
I look forward to hearing from you."

Anybody else hear about this whole class action suit? It intrigues me that we gamers are being listened and responded to on such a level.

I don't think this belongs in the I have A Problem with Madden sticky, if it does, forgive me, but I think it's a whole seperate topic to be discussed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2007, 01:30 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Class Action Suit Against EA?

stupid...

just because you don't like the game doesn't mean you can sue...
Old 10-20-2007, 01:35 AM   #3
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJX619SD
stupid...

If you buy a stove it should heat things up without a problem. If you buy a car it should run properly for a reasonable amount of time. Right now if you buy a video game and certain parts don't work properly you might as well kiss your money goodbye because there is zero recourse. Does this have a chance? I doubt it, but right now the video game industry is getting away with a lot that it shouldn't IMO.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:04 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Exactly, if I bought a brand new car, and it didn't run correctly and there were various problems with it which caused me to be dissatisfied with the car, and the company promised to fix it, and then went silent for a month, I think people would be on the same side of saying that it is a problem.

If a videogame though doesn't work as advertised and has various problems, it's ok? I'm screwed out of my money? They promise to fix it, so I keep it for awhile longer, but then they never release a patch.

It's the same thing. Microsoft got sued for releasing Xbox 360's that had problems and they didn't acknowledge those problems that rendered them unplayable. After the lawsuit, they definitely changed their tune. There is precedence for this, and I personally am sick of being treated badly by a company as large as EA. Will this amount to anything? Maybe and maybe not, but there is a better shot at getting the game fixed this way than by trying to tell EA to fix it, because they don't respond.

Last edited by NCHelix; 10-20-2007 at 02:09 AM.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:18 AM   #5
Banned

bsb13's Arena

OVR: 30

Im not trying to defend madden or anything but video games are different than cars and stoves and things like that. All games have bugs, always have and always will. With all the impressions that you can find for a game these days there is no reason for people to get burned, just wait and read them and if the game is getting trashed then dont buy it. You dont have to buy a game the very first day its released and if anyone buys madden after reading all the impression's that are out now, you deserve to get burned. If I buy a game and its trash I will just learn my lesson and not buy the next version or atleast rent it first. I just think filing a class action law suit over a video game is down right silly and what is even more silly, is that the people who file it will be first in line for next years version.

Edit..I havent played madden 08 for next gen but if the game freezes thats a whole nother story.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2007, 08:09 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJX619SD
stupid...

Anybody CAN sue anybody else for anything. It's up to the legal system to determine if the lawsuit filed has any merits or not.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:20 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsb13
Im not trying to defend madden or anything but video games are different than cars and stoves and things like that. All games have bugs, always have and always will. With all the impressions that you can find for a game these days there is no reason for people to get burned, just wait and read them and if the game is getting trashed then dont buy it. You dont have to buy a game the very first day its released and if anyone buys madden after reading all the impression's that are out now, you deserve to get burned. If I buy a game and its trash I will just learn my lesson and not buy the next version or atleast rent it first. I just think filing a class action law suit over a video game is down right silly and what is even more silly, is that the people who file it will be first in line for next years version.

Edit..I havent played madden 08 for next gen but if the game freezes thats a whole nother story.
If you bought and played it, you would have more credibility because you would have a better idea as to what people are talking about. Not to mention that this isn't a first-time or only-time issue (in terms of substantial bugs that dramatically impact playability).

You may think a class action suit over a videogame is silly, presumably because its a "toy", and not a car or stove, but it's still a consumer product where money is spent and profit is made. While I laud your efforts to be good consumer, the fact remains that any purchase is ultimately a crap-shoot for the consumer. But if I'm a consumer, I can and should expect a reasonably working product for the money I've spent.

I also could turn your argument around and say that people shouldn't have a right to file class action suits for cars or stoves either because they could have "read the reviews". While you may argue that the consumer has a certain amount of responsibility, that does not negate responsibility of the vendor either.

A judge may agree with you that a class action suit for videogame is "silly", he may not. But even if he did, the fact that EA would have to spend some amount of time, resources, or manpower to defend it may be enough to wake them up a bit. Unfortunately, people willing to give them a pass would not do anything to make them wake up. I'd rather go the route that would make them wake up.

Last edited by Flamehead; 10-20-2007 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:58 AM   #8
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Yeah, you can sue anyone and everyone nowadays in this sue happy world.

The bottomline is, is the game unplayable out of the box? Can you play one season out of the box?

Can you play other modes out of the box?

EA could contend as long as it's playable out of the box, their shouldn't be a class action law suit and a judge could rule that way as well.

I'm not saying it's not playable in franchise mode with the freezing issues after year 2 or whatever.

Someone tried the BBB about a month ago and that died a natural death.

I'd rather EA spend their time and resources producing better quality games vs tying their resources and time in courtrooms.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »