Home

EA's NEW idea for the RIGHT ANALOG stick

This is a discussion on EA's NEW idea for the RIGHT ANALOG stick within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-28-2007, 04:49 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 29
Re: EA's NEW idea for the RIGHT ANALOG stick

You just have to remember that you are talking about EA....

Their gimmicks usually turn a game into garbage.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:45 PM   #10
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16

People seem to forget the initial reason EA added the vision-cone was to seperate QB's with high Awareness ratings from those with low Awareness ratings.

Whatever EA does, I'm sure they will want to continue with the mind-set that there needs to be something that gives an advantage to players who choose QB's with high Awareness ratings; as opposed to those who choose a QB with high speed and accuracy even though he may have a very low Awareness rating.

Personally, I think this new idea would be a refreshing change, but I also agree with EA's original goal of trying to give the AWR rating more meaning; a synergy of the two ideas would be great.

When I play my boy he chooses the Seahawks and benches Hasselbech in favor of Seneca Wallace; and is very successful might I add. Is this realistic? Nope. Why can he do this? Because AWR (the rating that represents the QB's decision making skills) doesn't mean anything on the next-gen consoles; atleast the vision cone is a solid attempt to remedy this.

If the cone is taken out in favor of a new passing system I'd be fine with that, I just hope something else is done to punish users who choose QB's based primarily on their SPEED and ACCURACY while totally disregarding the QB's AWARENESS (which is supposed to be the most important attribute); atleast then the risk/reward factor would be greater and the game would be a bit more balanced IMO.
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.

Last edited by DLaren; 10-28-2007 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:15 PM   #11
Pro

lbartlett_32's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_Bonami

My thoughts on how it should be implemented are like this

the right stick gives you total freedom on where( direction) you want to throw the ball on the field. While simultaneous use of the left trigger gives you power control.

Want to throw a short screen to the left?...give the right analog stick a quick flick down and to the left.

Want to throw a bullet over the middle to a crossing reciever?... push the right stick up while squeezing the left trigger completely in.

Want to toss a deep lob down field to the right sideline? Flick the right stick diagonally up to the right.
Quick question. I like the idea of what you are talking about. The only problem I see with not having corresponding buttons for a receiver is if you have two guys crossing over the middle how do you control which one you are throwing to?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2007, 10:30 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 17

Im not sure I understand your dilemma...With this proposed passing feature, it is to simulate a more realistic passing system that wouldnt utilize assigned recievers to button presses but rather a more organic free form system that allows a player to throw to an area. This would force the player to the know the play routes to employ better accuracy and timing to increase their completion percentage rather than having a designated button press do 90% of the work.

Its a radical new way of passing that would require adjustments and practice...but I feel once the player got accustomed to it, that it would ultimately be more rewarding and fun to play with if done right.

This idea isnt totally unique....If you all remember NFL Fever 2004, it had something 'similar' called READ and LEAD which was a great concept and actually worked pretty well but it just wasnt completely tweaked for simplicity. (I was actually on the brainstorming discussion team that designed some of the enhancements for that game.)
Old 10-28-2007, 11:16 PM   #13
Pro

JBucc's Arena

OVR: 8

I'm not sure you could be accurate enough with the analog sticks to do something like that and not have it be insanely hard and frustrating. How did NFL Fever do theirs?
Old 10-28-2007, 11:57 PM   #14
MVP

phant030's Arena

OVR: 14

Lisa...your idea is cool, but confusing....if more than one receiver is in the area, how do you choose? Example: Outside Streak, Slot Corner....the direction for both would be left diagonal...who gets the ball?
Old 10-29-2007, 12:33 AM   #15
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Sounds like a cool idea but I think it would take the fun out of playing. Video games would become work. I'd have to memorize defensive coverages, figure out the correct read on every play for every coverage, in order to be able and use this new control scheme without getting sacked.

I remember when NFL Fever tried this, it was kinda fun but made the passing game really hard. If you were playing online against someone using "normal" controls you'd get absolutely slaughtered.

Don't mean to kill your idea, but I just know that I personally am not a good enough controller jockey/football know it all to pull off all the movements and button presses necessary for a scheme like that. A NFL QB has maybe 4 seconds...that's not a lot of time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2007, 12:34 AM   #16
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

I am going to go out on a limb and guess that they are thinking about copying the other games "QB Evade" on the R stick idea.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »