Home

What is the deal with ?

This is a discussion on What is the deal with ? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-20-2007, 12:40 PM   #1
MVP

cch99's Arena

OVR: 9
What is the deal with ?

Brian Westbrook. I play the PS2 version and I just can't figure it out. Westbrook sucks for me. And it's not the lack of a running game either. Anyone else that gets carries is getting over 4 YPC.

Bsacailly it's like thiis.
Through 7 games Westbrook is averagin 3.1 YPC. Meanwhile Buckhalter is getting 4.5. I even benched Westbrook for a half last night. If there was anytime that Buckhalter would falter this is where it would be I figured. Well he goes and gets 4.2 YPC against the Vikings. Westbrook ended the first hald with 6 Carries for 2 yards when i benched him.

Buckhalter finshed with 7 carries for 29 yards. I just can't figure it out.

Anyone else have any players like this ? Guys who should be good but for whatever reason don't get it done.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
Rookie

Deelron's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: What is the deal with ?

I always have problems getting Gore to produce for me. Pretty much every running back I use from 88-95 Ovr. I have better results with then I do with Gore, even given the same offensive line. I figure there is just something about his setup that doesn't mesh with how I play.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:48 PM   #3
MVP

cch99's Arena

Yeh. With Westbrook it just feels like he never has room to make things happen. As soon as I put Buckhalter in the game there will be a big hole that Westbrook would have eaten up. I also think that I just tend to do better iwth "bigger" backs in the game.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:40 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

Well, maybe this a play style issue. You shouldn't be running the same or calling the same play with Westbrook and Buckhalter. Buckhalter is good for running up the gut, but Westbrook isn't so much of a between the tackles runner.

Try running Westbrook more to the outside and throwing to him some in the flats. That should help his production.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:19 PM   #5
MVP

cch99's Arena

Westbrook is actually fine receiving. That is how I've been getting use out of him. He is leading the team in receptions. I try to run to the outside a little with him but I find it hard to run outside with anyone in the game.

That being said, Westbrook actually gets most of his yardage between the tackles. People think he is a flat out speed guy and gets his yards on the edges but he goes inside all the time. he finds the cracks and slides through holes all the time. Once in a while I see that animation where they slide through a hole but not often enough wth Westbrook IMO. Just a side stat, he is actually 8 for 8 on 3rd and 1's this year at getting the first down.

The thing is it just seems that when he is in the game the holse just aren't there.

I was kind of throwing this out to find out more people who had players that don't step it up in Madden then on how to get better production out of him, but still, thanks for the advice.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

I completely kill w/ Westbrook...It's all about spinning. He has the sickest spin move, you just have to time it.

If your trying to stiff arm w/ him and power run then you're using him wrong. You gotta juke and spin and when he get's in the open turn on his afterburners.

Run the spiltbacks HB blast. Set your TE in motion to the weakside and when Westbrook gets the hand off spin off the tackler. You can break open some big time runs w/ that play.

Also try the HB inside from the near package, and the HB zone from the weak I. The double counter is good too.

Again...I kill w/ this dude so it's not Westbrook that's the problem...Don't take that the wrong way either.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:47 PM   #7
MVP

cch99's Arena

No offence taken. I know it's the way I play. I play towards a power back style trying to run over guys with the highlight stick. I know Westbrook's would be the finesse moves but I am not fast enough with the sticks on inside runs. Forget about a spin move I hit the button about 2 seconds after I get tackled. I will try to do it but yeah, i know it's me.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:29 AM   #8
MVP

cch99's Arena

So I took the spin move advice and it works like a charm but not to the extent that I am dominating, which is good. I played the Cowboys, in a tight 30-27 win and Westbrook had 24 carries for 122 yards.

Funny thing was Buckhalter actually broke a 66 yard run. My farthest run of the year by far. And I didn't even do anything. The hole opened up and I got 2 blocks and was off to the races. One of the Cowboys defenders dove and missed and I was gone.

Anyway, just played till halftime of the Eagles-Redskins and it is tied up 14-14. Westbrook has 12 for 67 with a 22 yard scamper. So take away the 22 yarder and he is right at 4 YPC. He also had a 57 yard Screen Pass for a TD on the first drive of the game. He is now playing liike the Westbrook he should be. I know it's only 2 games but it is so far removed from before without being overboard.

Thanks for the help.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »