Home

to any recently converted 2k players out there

This is a discussion on to any recently converted 2k players out there within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-03-2007, 09:49 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 7
to any recently converted 2k players out there

Being a massive fan of espn nfl 2k5 I never have really gotten into madden. It felt less physical and less immersive, almost less 'in the game' even though thats ea's line.

but i want to ask, has anyone who is like me, been recently converted by this brand new madden? (08)

reading reviews and watching vids it looks much improved, and really what the main things is is the new tackle animation system, i hated the canned animation and believed it made the gameplay suffer, this new system looks great.

im looking for opinions from likeminded people who have gone to madden out of the lack of other nfl game and actually been impressed by this new one.

im looking for gameplay thoughts only, i know about all the features and graphics etc. and im happy wiht that.

i know i should play the demo, but i think demos are not so good for sports game, i believe it is almost impossible to get a true feeling for a game without playing at least 10 minute games+ and being able to access all the training and controls from the offset. i hated the nhl 08 dmeo, but absolutely love the game now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2007, 12:19 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: to any recently converted 2k players out there

I've been a 2k player since day one. I've checked madden out every years since 03 and i have not like the feel of the gameplay ever. With all the news of a patch for Madden 08 on the 360 i decided to go rent it yesterday. This is my latest post from the Madden patch thread.

Well I'm 4 games into my franchise and I'm bored to death with this game already. Yeah it seems to be a little better after the patch but it's still the biggest plie of crap I've ever played. The feel of the game it just so unrealistic to me, the player movements are foolish, the collision dection is still a mess. I have no Idea how this game is so popular.

I just attempted to play a game on line to check that part out. Total joke. The game runs completely different on line then it does off line. It's impossible to get the kicking meter full because it lags constantly. The game does not run smooth at all on line. If 2k can do it why can't EA? It's a damn shame that the NFL sold the exclusive rigths to EA. I can only hope they do not renew the contract after it expires in 09. I'm going back to NFL 2k5 with updated roster for my NFL fix. Madden 08 is

junk.

I guess that explains how I feel about Madden. The game feels fake to me compared to the 2K games. When I'm controlling a man in APF 2k8 or NFL 2k5 on defense I really feel like I have total control of him. In Madden playing defense is a crap shoot, the players feel floaty and the controls feel loose.

I hope the Backbreaker game that is in the works is good when it comes out. That will give Madden haters like me another option.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:06 PM   #3
Pro

thanks for your thoughts,

im coming from the same position as you, im dissapointed because i need a great nfl game, my bro is going to order nfl 2k5 again now with the BC, hope it plays okay. (cant get 2k8 here no pal release )

however i want to hear others' opinions too.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:17 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 2

I disagree. I love Madden. I hated it right away, but the more you play it you really get a feel for it and it is a game that requires a lot of skill. I loved All-Pro 2K8 and played it all the time for a couple months. I actually won the APF tournament. I cant lose at that game so for a challenge I picked up Madden and I now love the game. Playing defense is a blast. I would have to say that Madden requires a lot more individual controlled player skill.

The only thing I hate about the game is when a DB is trailing a WR on some routes the DB gets a magic speed burst while in full sprint covering the receiver and picks the ball off when the WR allows him free access to the thrown pass and does not attempt to catch it. It is way less frequent after the patch, but it still happens. It is frustrating to make a good hot route, recognize the coverage, find an open man and have a DB pick off or bat down a ball he has no business getting too.

One other problem with the game is the players on-line are d-bags. I have played the Cowboys and the Patriots so many times it makes me sick.

I love the game though. I dont know what is exactly, but the game is fun.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:32 PM   #5
Pro

After the patch, this game is pretty good. The tackle animations and jumping catches look good and the stadiums for the most part look nice. The play is a lot better, though there are still some DBs making behind the back INTs and the like. But speaking of 2K, I hope the Madden team is taking note, especially of the recently backwards compatible NFL 2K5.

Next year, the focus is supposed to be on presentation. If they can keep post-patch improvments and fix the other annoying things like little to no weather effects, kickers who kick for a touchback every time, CPU never challenging a play, etc. then they could have a decent game on their hands.

Looking at 2K5, some presentation things we need in Madden are:

-- announcers + a sideline reporter
-- actual stat overlays with player pictures
-- close-ups of the fans
-- better cut scenes
-- better angles (2K5 has one from a blimp for example)
-- better introduction and closure (Marshall Faulk talking about "ring builders" and whatnot? Come on!)
-- a half time show (and not the old one with the bizarre looking cheerleaders)
-- better sideline detail and not all players moving the exact same way at the same time
-- trash talking on the field and animations to boot (loved the one where a play gets broken up in 2K5 and the guy is sitting on the ground, arms up, asking for a flag--steal that one, Madden!)
-- goal post nets

So for me to be fully converted (i.e. making Madden my first and/or only puchase next year), I want to see Madden deliver on the presentation they promised. That, to me, makes a game playable even if there are some quirks. To play the vanilla version of football that Madden offers and then have it be superbuggy is too much. NFL 2K5 had its on field issues but I loved the presentation and that helped me stick with it despite the issues. Madden needs to match that at least to win me over. Can Madden finally live up to the hype, fix the problems on the field and add the presentation?

Of course, I will wait until the season starts at the earliest to see what changes are made and to make sure (like this year) there aren't bugs that make the game collect dust on the shelf until late November. Hopefully, the Madden team fears a backlash for this years train wreck but they probably won't. Of course, if they do, it may just be an awesome game in 08.

Last edited by renojedi; 12-03-2007 at 07:35 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2007, 08:00 PM   #6
Pro

ill se ehow 2k5 plays on 360, if it has problems i will try out madden for sure,

definetly sounds improved, and as i said im okay with features, online and presentation for madden becuase all i care about si the gameplay compared to 2k

more opinions are welcome.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:43 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 17

I loved 2K5 and do enjoy the gameplay in 2K8 immensely. It is very realistic and plays a great game of real football. However, I really do miss the NFL players and teams.

Madden fills that void somewhat but still doesnt get that realistic gameplay and depth that 2K8 delivers. The animations still feel cartoony in comparison. The tackling engine just isnt as rich.

What does Madden need to do?

Madden needs to finally scrap their finite and often overly repetitive motion captured based animation engine and turn to a completely organic physics based collision system that takes real angles, velocity and mass into account when tackling and gameplay is unfolding. This will truly take Madden and sports gameplay finally into the NEXT GEN era that we have all been waiting for. Imagine playing a sports game that has every play unfold differently. No 2 tackles ever looking identical?

Pure gaming bliss
Old 12-04-2007, 12:50 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 29

In Madden the gameplay is a lot smoother than in 07. However, there are a few things you will notice when playing the CPU.

-When the CPU is running down the sideline, the player starts to go all "wonky" and sometimes even runs out of bounds.

-Occasionally you will see rough tackle animations when there is a large group of players (kickoff returns, mainly)

-Madden is much smoother with moving your players. The strafe system in 2k8 along with audibles (on both sides of the ball) being awkward makes for a lot of frustration at first.

-If you are a gameplay only person, go with 2k8 for realism, etc. (minus Earl 'God' Campbell as anyone's RB)

If you enjoy Franchise, get Madden 08...or NFL 2k5

Personally, other than lacking features (a lack of Franchise is inexcusable) and no way around legends in APF2K8 I have to say it is a great game. I sold my copy of APF and got Madden...

Since the patch, I am loving Madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »