Home

Is Madden worth getting?

This is a discussion on Is Madden worth getting? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 10:09 AM   #9
Cyber Griffin

CFav's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Is Madden worth getting?

NFL 2K5 is backwards compatible now...just saying ...all you need is the Datel Xport (or SATA) and download some of Puja's rosters and your good to go...I was a madden fan for YEARS, but I think 2K5 is better than Madden 08 game play wise(IMO)...again, just saying

Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock (Wii)
Transformers: War For Cybertron (DS)
Guitar Hero 5 (Wii)
Band Hero (Wii)
MUA2 (PS3/XBox 360)
Hax Attacks (iPad/iPhone)

Old 01-21-2008, 11:06 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFav
NFL 2K5 is backwards compatible now...just saying ...all you need is the Datel Xport (or SATA) and download some of Puja's rosters and your good to go...I was a madden fan for YEARS, but I think 2K5 is better than Madden 08 game play wise(IMO)...again, just saying
I concur. This gen's Madden seems more arcadey than last gen's madden or NFL 2K5. Your money would be better spent investing in the necessary tools to play with updated rosters and schedules with NFL2k5 if you're looking for something that still attempts simulation, IMHO.

That said, rent Madden and see what you think.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:18 AM   #11
MVP

Flyermania's Arena

OVR: 27

If you were a big 2k5 fan, I would have to say no. Madden hasn't changed that much over the years, and if you are/were more of a 2k fan you will still be annoyed with how the game plays. I broke down and bought Madden and just wasn't happy with it....I did get some good games on it from time to time, but overall it was a frustrating experience. Once 2k5 became backwards compatible I picked up an Xport and got rid of Madden.

Your best bet is to give Madden a rental to see if you like it or not.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:43 PM   #12
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

I've tried Dan's 100 sliders and it made the game much more fun and playable for me. It's still a huge bore, but at least I can finish a game without being frustrated.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 01-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
If you were a big 2k5 fan, I would have to say no. Madden hasn't changed that much over the years, and if you are/were more of a 2k fan you will still be annoyed with how the game plays. I broke down and bought Madden and just wasn't happy with it....I did get some good games on it from time to time, but overall it was a frustrating experience. Once 2k5 became backwards compatible I picked up an Xport and got rid of Madden.

Your best bet is to give Madden a rental to see if you like it or not.
Yeah a rental is the way to go. Then if you like it, get it for $40 used, I don't see how you could go wrong. I was a big 2k5 fan when it came out. I haven't played it in a couple years, but I do have it hiding somewhere in the house. The way people talk about it, I'm gonna have to find that thing. It seems that it's the perfect game that lacks ANY flaws. Maybe I'll be surpised when I actually find it.

I skipped just about the same amount of years playing Madden(2002). I hated 06 and 07 on the 360. I found myself really liking 08. IMO it was a major upgrade over 06 and 07 in terms of player control. It's definately a great head to head game.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:27 PM   #14
All Star

OVR: 21

Can the PS2 version be played on the PS3?

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 01-21-2008, 04:42 PM   #15
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41

I say yes. Go out and try it. Some people like it some dont but, you need to come up with your own conclusion. Like most people, I bought the game the day it came out (3rd in line in Philly EB) and I was just floored at how the game was good but, had so many problems. The first game I played there were 9 turnovers, 6 ints & 5 fumbles, 2 were overturned. I was pissed. Im a huge football fan and was playing NFL 2K5 until I got a 360 last year. I thought to my self. This cant be it. How could EA put out a good game with so many bugs and problems with. But, then talk of the patch started.

I waited and waited. Playing games against friends and cpu. I was enjoying it but, I felt something was missing. Finally, I couldnt take it anymore and took it back when NBA 2K8 came out. I was pleased with NBA and it was taking up my time. Then COD4 came out and I didnt play any other game until 2 weeks ago when one of my friends was selling his Madden 08 for $30. I told him I would think about it.

I then came on this site and started doing my research on the game post-patch. I read so many good and bad things that I said screw it and gave up the $30. IMO the game plays so much better post-patch. Thats just my opinion. First game I played P.P. was a loss to the Cowboys on All Madden 24 - 17 w/ my Jets. Only 2 turnovers that game and I havent played a game were both teams combined for more than 4 to's. To me it plays 85% better. There are still some plays that leave me shaking my head (Damn LB's, DB's one foot jump one handed swat animation needs to go EA and Madden, NO HUMAN ON EARTH CAN MAKE THAT PLAY) with amazement.

But, to finally answer your question. Rent it or buy it from Gamestop. Atleast this way you can make up your mind without giving up any money long term. If you buy pre-owned from Gamestop you have 7 days to return it if you dont like it. And I dont think I have to explain about renting.

What ever you dont listen to the people telling that the game is crap and bashing EA. Make up your own mind.

If you dont buy Madden you can always get COD4 if you dont have it already. Its a great multiplayer game.

Twitch: DirtyJerz32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
No longer shall you be referred to as DirtyJerz32, but simply BOSS -

Last edited by DirtyJerz32; 01-21-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2008, 05:16 PM   #16
MVP

Mjphillips's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYjetsdynasty
I say yes. Go out and try it. Some people like it some dont but, you need to come up with your own conclusion. Like most people, I bought the game the day it came out (3rd in line in Philly EB) and I was just floored at how the game was good but, had so many problems. The first game I played there were 9 turnovers, 6 ints & 5 fumbles, 2 were overturned. I was pissed. Im a huge football fan and was playing NFL 2K5 until I got a 360 last year. I thought to my self. This cant be it. How could EA put out a good game with so many bugs and problems with. But, then talk of the patch started.

I waited and waited. Playing games against friends and cpu. I was enjoying it but, I felt something was missing. Finally, I couldnt take it anymore and took it back when NBA 2K8 came out. I was pleased with NBA and it was taking up my time. Then COD4 came out and I didnt play any other game until 2 weeks ago when one of my friends was selling his Madden 08 for $30. I told him I would think about it.

I then came on this site and started doing my research on the game post-patch. I read so many good and bad things that I said screw it and gave up the $30. IMO the game plays so much better post-patch. Thats just my opinion. First game I played P.P. was a loss to the Cowboys on All Madden 24 - 17 w/ my Jets. Only 2 turnovers that game and I havent played a game were both teams combined for more than 4 to's. To me it plays 85% better. There are still some plays that leave me shaking my head (Damn LB's, DB's one foot jump one handed swat animation needs to go EA and Madden, NO HUMAN ON EARTH CAN MAKE THAT PLAY) with amazement.

But, to finally answer your question. Rent it or buy it from Gamestop. Atleast this way you can make up your mind without giving up any money long term. If you buy pre-owned from Gamestop you have 7 days to return it if you dont like it. And I dont think I have to explain about renting.

What ever you dont listen to the people telling that the game is crap and bashing EA. Make up your own mind.

If you dont buy Madden you can always get COD4 if you dont have it already. Its a great multiplayer game.
I just started playing 2K5 and I have played Madden already but don't own it. I am having a hard time deciding if I should buy Madden or buy the X port thing today so that I can play 2K5 with updated rosters. Anybody wanna chime in. ANd yes I know i should decide for myself but I am curious what others would do in my situation. I really wanna play some real updated rosters NFL football!!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »