Home

Madden 08-IN Retrospect

This is a discussion on Madden 08-IN Retrospect within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-13-2008, 05:58 AM   #25
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: Madden 08-IN Retrospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
I like the game enough that I can get past the flaws. Unlike too many other 2K die-hards (former die hard in my case), I'm not going to sit around pouting and forcing myself to hate the game every year while trying to make out like I gave it a chance on BB's like this one. If you go into a movie wanting to hate it.........you will. If you want to hate a new album that comes out.......you will. If you play a game wanting and expecting to hate it.........you will. Too much infantile brand loyalty in sports gaming that's clouding people's judgement and objectivity. I got over being angry about the license (the one 2K sports also tried securing) a long time ago. It's just software.

Of course, I'm not saying that's why ALL people who dislike Madden don't like the game...........but we all know that's why a great many of them do.
What? Many people at OS used to get 3-4 football titles a year last gen and Madden was one of the best titles. Madden this gen is still being out performed by last gen Madden. I just want a quality football game and next gen madden has been an overall disappointment.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2008, 08:38 AM   #26
MVP

OVR: 18

My favorite Madden game for 08 was the one for the PSP. Played great and I can play on the go. Great Superstar minigames, in game save, and many more options that did not get in the 360/PS3 edition. Peace.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:22 AM   #27
Bills Mafia!!

racerx's Arena

OVR: 21

In retrospect with me, This is actually the first season since I can remember that I did not finsh a full season in Madden. In between waiting for the patch and lack of presentation this game just did not hold my interest this year. I might have played a total of 20 games between exihibition and franchise play.
NCAA Basketball - UK Wildcats
Old 03-14-2008, 09:21 AM   #28
MVP

cable guy's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombrokaw
I'm not a very picky person. I'd just like to be able to advance to the next season without it freezing a fourth of the time. Call me demanding but I'd like that number to be zero.
That is a very understandable complaint. And must be addressed.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:23 AM   #29
MVP

cable guy's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage
My favorite Madden game for 08 was the one for the PSP. Played great and I can play on the go. Great Superstar minigames, in game save, and many more options that did not get in the 360/PS3 edition. Peace.
I agree 100%.

I haven't seen anybody else say that.

PSP played the best out of any system.

I almost thought it was my imagination, because I only played a handful of games on PSP.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:39 AM   #30
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion523
Now that the season's over and the next Madden is less 6 months away I figured I'd give 08 one more whirl(I haven't played it since Dec.-Jan) and for all the grief its been given by me and others its really a great game.If EA could fix the CPU QB AI and also give us some atmosphere(as well as an announcer) 09 could be the best Madden ever.After seeing the debacle that is MLB 2K8 I learned one thing: change for the sake of change isn't nescessarily a good thing,2K ruined that game trying to be"innovative".I really think Madden is poised to breakout this season and be the game we want it to be.Any thoughts?
Disagree w/ everything here wholeheartedly.

Next-Gen Madden is better graphics and gang tackles...I don't see how anything is "great" about it.

Gameplay sucked w/ interceptions and fumbles running rampid through every game. DB's or LB's would jump 10 ft in the air to make some uncanny interception...RB's and WR's not prone to fumbling would fumble 2-3 or more a game. The slider just completely suck. I can't make formation subs like in last gen. I can't edit a player to change his freaking position. You have the interception x2 glitch which is just a horrendous bug. You have simulation stats being WAY WAY off...ex. most INT's thrown by a CPU QB being maybe 15...maybe. Franchise would freeze after year 4. Relocation was a joke because you couldn't keep the same uni's. In season scouting was a joke because it did NOTHING. Trading AI and drafting AI is horrible as it ever was. Lest I mention the FA Pool, which was the game killer for me, not having a single Kicker, Punter, 2-5 MLBs, and other positions w/ a scarce amount of position players to choose from...UNACCEPTABLE.

Online play...My gosh...I've never lost a connection w/ any other game, but w/ Madden the last 6 games I played I was either in the 1st qtr or half way through and the connection was lost....ALL of those games ended up as losses...3 or 4 of them I was winning before the game was disconnected.

Must also mention the complete annoyance of playing w/o "Fair Play". All the going for it on 4th and Long in the 1st Qtr, or doing a 2 pt conversion every single time, or an on-side kick...I can't even play this game online, when I loved playing it online w/ my PS2 "ages" ago.

Superstar...Still as crappy as ever. It doesn't even make much sense how your player just propel to the # 1 slot at his position so quick, and it still needs more features to it...too bland.

MLB 2K8 might have a framerate issue for some...Not that problematic for me. I'm loving the gameplay though...There are a few things like the CPU not stealing as much as they should, or the CPU Pitchers not throwing many balls but it still plays a great game of baseball, and is much more fun than Madden.

You have so much more flexibility w/ editing players, they have implemented work arounds for the dumb trades and/or lineup issues, and on line play is not nearly as "cheesy" as Madden now is.

I'll be playing this game far longer than I have played the last two 360 Maddens.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:06 PM   #31
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

lost interest completely...next years I will not even rent unless I fall in LOVE with the demo.

When I buy a sports title I want to actually PLAY the games instead of finding myself 'simming' them most of the time.

Madden is a AAA title w/ single A content- look at how amazing other games have been the past couple of years...madden doesn't cut it anymore, it just isn't keeping up with the times period.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2008, 03:45 PM   #32
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
lost interest completely...next years I will not even rent unless I fall in LOVE with the demo.

When I buy a sports title I want to actually PLAY the games instead of finding myself 'simming' them most of the time.

Madden is a AAA title w/ single A content- look at how amazing other games have been the past couple of years...madden doesn't cut it anymore, it just isn't keeping up with the times period.
Dude what are you talking about they got ring builder...

So you can be all digitally blinged out. If that isn't keeping up w/ the times I don't know what is...lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »