Home

MUST HAVE Options for Madden 09

This is a discussion on MUST HAVE Options for Madden 09 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2008, 04:09 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Icon3 MUST HAVE Options for Madden 09

Let's face it, the majority of Madden loyalists love the NFL and the excitement it produces both on and off the field. While little frills like Superstar Mode are nice and cute, they aren't what most people are looking for when it comes to buying and playing Madden year in and year out. Maddenites are looking for REALISM and PRESENTATION.

2K5 had it right in a couple of areas, mainly in their presentation. My experience with 2K5, my observations while playing Madden since the days of the Sega Genesis, and my love of the NFL have prompted me to create the following list of MUST HAVE options for Madden 2009 and CONSISTENTLY beyond:
  1. Accelerated Clock - Where did this go? Why was it taken away? Has EA noticed that many slider threads comment on the difference in quarter length due to shifts at the line of scrimmage, watching cut scenes, etc.? Bring back the accelerated clock and this is fixed! People can enjoy the cut scenes, take their time picking plays, etc. without worrying about if they're going to have between 120 and 140 plays per game.
  2. Challenges - 2K5 was spot-on when they allowed you to challenge a play, but then gave you options on what exactly you were challenging. For example, I was playing Madden yesterday and I completed a pass to my WR. He didn't even take two steps before he was hit and fumbled. I wanted to challenge that he didn't have possession of the ball and it wasn't a catch, but all I could do was challenge the fumble itself. You would think that these next-gen consoles would be smart enough to handle anything and more that the old consoles could. Let's wake up, EA.
  3. Automatic Replays - What is up with the static look, fast pace, and poor angles of the replays? These can be much, much better. Clear up the pictures and slow down the action so we can enjoy (or despise) the previous play.
  4. See the Field When Passing - I forgot what year had this option, but it was cool when you could select the camera to zoom out when passing. This allowed you to see sideline to sideline and then you could tell if a DB was dropping back in zone, or pressing towards the flats. As it is, I almost always have to roll out of the pocket just to see if my WR is covered on a curl route, or my RB is covered in the flats. So, obviously, every time I roll out I'm increasing the risk of a sack. It's simply not realistic to limit the QB vision like that.
  5. Fix the Presentation - I don't know if it's pride or laziness or both, but EA, fix your presentation! Take a page from 2K5! The halftime highlights with Chris Berman were awesome, the interviews at the end of each game got old but were fun, and the off season interaction with Mel Kiper was cool for the upcoming draft. You guys have the NFL license; go out and get Rich Eisen to do the pre-game and halftime shows, and get Mike Mayock to cover the draft. Maybe even pull lines from actual coach press conferences the year before for the post game. Please, do SOMETHING.
  6. Better Announcer - I agree that Madden and Michaels were getting stale, but this new guy in a home team radio format just doesn't work. I actually turn off the announcer when I play. He's just terrible, in my opinion. Go get a legitimate, big-name play-by-play and color guy for Madden 09. This is one of the things that makes NCAA football so great is the trio of Nessler, Corso, and Herbstreit. The comments are smart, witty, and make you feel more like you're part of a real college game.
  7. Off Season - Have you noticed in recent years the booming popularity of free agency, the draft, and the scouting combine? Maybe allow the user to send his scouts and actually watch a prospect go through drills without controlling the prospect. Pick what you want to see and who you want to see do it, and then judge the prospect in action. Figure out a way to make free agency more exciting! The top tier players in free agency every year are being worked at 12:01 AM every year on the day of free agency. Make a sense of urgency early! Lastly, make the draft itself more realistic. Give use the option to have the commissioner go up to the podium after each selection and announce it. I understand you might not get Roger Goodell to do the voiceover, but get his approval and find a voice impersonator or something. Another angle that made the draft fun that you used to have was the background noise of phones and chatter. Trades and discussions, baby! THAT'S realism!
Wow...If these issues were addressed, we would have the ultimate game of NFL football ever released. Why does EA think that a new gimmick each year will sell more copies? JUST MAKE THE GAME REALISTIC IN AS MANY AREAS AS YOU CAN AND YOU WILL SATISFY YOUR CUSTOMERS MORE THAN YOU EVER HAVE IN THE PAST.

W 24-14 at #7 Wisconsin
W 41-3 vs SDSU
W 20-13 vs Idaho
L 28-35 at #1 USC
W 31-13 at #23 Arizona
L 31-34 vs ASU
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: MUST HAVE Options for Madden 09

Good points. I agree with everything. All EA has to do is watch an actual NFL broadcast game and copy the camera angles pre and post play, the replay cameras(make them frequent and also integrate the commentary), and add some sideline cuts and stadium shots and the game would get a tremendous boost in authenticity in my book. For the life of me I just don't understand why EA has never done this. Is it talent, arrogance, or just pure ignorance? I just don't know. The game is so damn boring tho, something has to be done.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 03-16-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
Rookie

larma's Arena

OVR: 9

Great list. I might actually look into Madden 09 if these (or at least a few of these) make it in.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:39 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Even if all of that were added if the game still animates the same ....
Old 03-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 26

Facts:

The game isn't going to progress because of these 2 vital things.

1. The HDD isn't standard in the X360

2. Its still being developed on a DVD.

Thats the bottom line.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2008, 07:29 PM   #6
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbreaker
Facts:

Thats the bottom line.
While these would certainly help, these are not the vital reasons why the game isn't progressing.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 03-16-2008, 08:02 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageTheInfinite
While these would certainly help, these are not the vital reasons why the game isn't progressing.
They are very vital, or we are just gonna get the same thing that we have always gotten. Dev. state all the time that they could get so much more done if they had larger media and a HDD, and of course more ram.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:51 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbreaker
Facts:

Thats the bottom line.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »