Home

Switch to 3-4 Defense?

This is a discussion on Switch to 3-4 Defense? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-20-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 14
Switch to 3-4 Defense?

Thinking of switching to the 3-4 defense for a change of pace, but I've always been more of a 4-3 guy. Does it work as well as the 4-3 in Madden? Do any of you prefer it to the 4-3? I've always found it's less effective against the run, and there usually aren't as many "heavy" d-lineman available in the draft which is required for the 3-4.

Any thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
Banned

Re: Switch to 3-4 Defense?

I'm currently messing around with a Buffalo franchise and I run the 4-3. I have two average sized DT's in the middle, with two smaller, quick DE's at the edges.

My hope was that the quick ends would provide a nice pass rush with the tackles doing an adequate job of holding up the run. Now I'm not sure how much, if at all, size comes into play in Madden, but I'm finding the smaller, quick DE's get blown off the line by the Offensive Tackles, and unless the smaller DT's are real quick, they provide pretty much no pass rush, and also get blown off the line on occasion. All four of my lineman are rated between 80-90 so I thought I'd get a bit more performance. Any of you guys having much luck in the pass rush department with smaller, quick DE's. Do most of you prefer the stronger, monster DT's, or the smaller, quick ones? Below are the players I currently start:

RE - L. Woodley, 80, 263 lbs (trade w/Pitt)
LE - L. Jackson, 90, 270 lbs (rookie came in as 90!)
DT - McCargo, 82, 297 lbs
DT - K. Williams, 82, 295 lbs

By the way, I play using Squint's post-patch sliders on all-pro
Old 03-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #3
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler99
I'm currently messing around with a Buffalo franchise and I run the 4-3. I have two average sized DT's in the middle, with two smaller, quick DE's at the edges.

My hope was that the quick ends would provide a nice pass rush with the tackles doing an adequate job of holding up the run. Now I'm not sure how much, if at all, size comes into play in Madden, but I'm finding the smaller, quick DE's get blown off the line by the Offensive Tackles, and unless the smaller DT's are real quick, they provide pretty much no pass rush, and also get blown off the line on occasion. All four of my lineman are rated between 80-90 so I thought I'd get a bit more performance. Any of you guys having much luck in the pass rush department with smaller, quick DE's. Do most of you prefer the stronger, monster DT's, or the smaller, quick ones? Below are the players I currently start:
In my experience (both with the next-gen and last-gen version of '08) it's possible to be very effective with smaller DE's as long as they have high agility, acceleration, and awareness ratings; though I've also had success with DE's who lacked in the awareness category but the other two are a must. If they have high agility that will make up for their lack of strength because of instead of trying to over-power their blocker they'll swim through or spin out of blocks. High acceleration helps them get from point A to point B quicker.

As far as DT's, I usually don't depend on those guys to put pressure on the Qb; though Sapp was pretty good at it due to his high agility and awareness ratings. But I usually try to find big, fat, strong (with the strength rating being the most important) DT's and stick them in there solely for run stopping.
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:06 PM   #4
Banned

Good points ... I'll have to check on DE's agility, acceleration, and awareness ratings. Pretty sure their awareness ratings are fairly low as one is a rookie, and the other only a 2nd year player. I know both of their speed ratings are between 77-80 which should be pretty good for a DE?

Gonna see if I can pull off a reasonable trade for the Arizona DT's. They have two monsters from Michigan (Watson & Branch), although their only rated in the 77-78 range right now.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler99
Good points ... I'll have to check on DE's agility, acceleration, and awareness ratings. Pretty sure their awareness ratings are fairly low as one is a rookie, and the other only a 2nd year player. I know both of their speed ratings are between 77-80 which should be pretty good for a DE?
Yea, usually anything 70+ is an acceptable speed for a DE, especially if he also has high ratings in acceleration and agility.
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2008, 03:56 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

Because madden hasn't implemented double-team blocking yet, if you have a good DT, you can run a 3-4 defense. That being said, all your linebackers should have speed, as they will have to move around more. You will also be running a lot more zone plays as well.

It can be done, but madden is better suited for a 4-3 defense at the moment.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »