Home

'08 worth it or just wait till '09?

This is a discussion on '08 worth it or just wait till '09? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-26-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
'08 worth it or just wait till '09?

Have Madden '07 (360) but really didn't like the way it played, so I skipped '08 and went with APF 2K8, which is a good game but the lack of a franchise mode hurt its longevity (I'm not a big online gamer).

So, I've been wanting to play a football game, but just don't know about '08. Some people love it, others hate it. Is it worth it to pick up a used copy and play it for 4-5 months, or just wait until '09 and see if the game truly has evolved?
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: '08 worth it or just wait till '09?

I would wait for 09', because if you enjoyed APF 2K8 and all of the presentation elements it had to offer, Madden 08 feel very lifeless. Gameplay wise it decent with another player offline or friends online. The A.I. is really what hurts besides presentation. If you can play a football game that came out in 2005 and is now backwards compatible, and have the necessary accessories to get rosters and settings tweaks, that might be better to hold you down for another 4-5 months. Take care and good luck with your decision.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

If you are coming from APF here are some things you should know gameplay wise. Maddens passing game is really bad compared to APF all the way around. Mainly because of the way the QB's throw. You'll notice it immediantly. However, Maddens running game is alot better then APFs. . And the playbooks seem really authentic and thats a good thing too. I would say dont pay full price for Madden. And with APF I dont play online either I just play exibition against the CPU. I sold my Madden 08 and Im happy with APF. But I dont play video games that much I average one game every few weeks lol. So it might be different for you. I would say get madden if you can find it for 30 or less.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:32 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Wait untill 09.

If you've played 07 then you've played 08. Well not quite but pretty close. They added icons called weapons that are nothing more than a graphicical representation of a players best stats. And that stupid radio announcer is still there (Is this next gen?). He will be replaced in 09.

If you must buy, then buy used. Screw Evil A**holes.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:32 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 10

If you can find Madden 08 for under $4.38, then buy it. Otherwise, stay away from it. Wait for 09. And when 09 comes out, DO NOT GO BY WHAT THE GAMING WEBSITE REVIEWS INDICATE (they were giving good grades to 08 but there were glitches left and right they never mentioned-idiots)!! Wait for the true gamers reviews on this forum or the like. That's where you'll get the real feedback.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2008, 12:42 AM   #6
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'll probably stay with APF and maybe dust off '07 if I'm really desperate.

I've played Madden since the beginning but have grown more frustrated with the series since '05. I skipped '06 (hated the vision cone), got '07 as a gift (defensive AI is so frustrating and the lack of polish for a next-gen title is shocking) and stayed away from '08 after reading a lot of posts here and MM.

APF isn't perfect, but it doesn't have game-breaking faults like Madden has had in recent years. Guess I'll mess around with the rosters on APF and pick guys I've never used before and bump up the difficulty.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 03-28-2008, 12:28 AM   #7
Rookie

erichoya's Arena

OVR: 1

I've been facing the exact same dilemma. Have 07 but just never bit on 08.

With the announcement today of the new collector's edition of 09 that will include Head Coach, I think I'll just hold out and enjoy APF and 07 for a few more months.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:52 PM   #8
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

this collection of sentiments seems to reflect an overall attitude towards recent madden titles. What i can't understand is how the games constantly manage to get rave reviews while after a couple of months have passed, it becomes a coaster.

Also a lot of the reviews were raving about the 'super sim' feature - don't these guys want to actually play the game? If you just want to sim, that is what head coach is about.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »