Home

Serious Talk: Pocket passing

This is a discussion on Serious Talk: Pocket passing within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-05-2008, 12:32 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: Serious Talk: Pocket passing

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmac
I'm not sure why this should be so hard- the 2K series has had a proper pocket and proper quarterback drops for years and years. The quarterback autodrops to the appropriate depth and you know when he plants his back foot it's time to deliver the ball.

The issue is, for the thousandth time, the suction blocking. Because DE's don't get pushed past the quarterback, they get sucked into the blockers, so you're going to have a ton of room for the QB to run to because the defensive end isn't anywhere near as far upfield as he should be. Just stop locking up the defensive ends and you'll have a situation where if the quarterback drops too far back, the defensive end has a clear angle to him (and the OT doesn't know to keep blocking because he's done his job already by pushing the DE too far upfield). Sack. Rinse and repeat and people will stop taking 20 yard drops. The reason they do it now is because there if much more reward to doing so than there is reward for standing in the (non-existent) pocket.

True, but remember we can't refer to 2k football or all the defenders of Madden will call you a troll. The lack of a pocket is a game killer for me.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #18
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmac
I'm not sure why this should be so hard- the 2K series has had a proper pocket and proper quarterback drops for years and years. The quarterback autodrops to the appropriate depth and you know when he plants his back foot it's time to deliver the ball.
EXACTLY! To sum up what I've bolded, besides not having a pocket, there is no emphasis on TIMING. Timing is one of the most important aspects of passing the ball and I can't recall EA ever capturing it thoroughly. I never mention it b/c I figure if we're still rioting (lol) for a pocket, there's no way that we can expect EA to improve on that aspect.

It's always one or the other with EA. So far to this point, it's pretty much been neither.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #19
MVP

capp34's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
true, but the gamer should be punsish and not awarded for the 20 step drop. He should be sacked and not be able to throw a 50 yard strike down the field.
With the pocket thats in the game now...this is all we need.

Kings of the Kourt Commissioner

KOTK Discord - https://discord.gg/Swj5cJe
Old 05-05-2008, 01:03 PM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by capp34
With the pocket thats in the game now...this is all we need.
are you joking?
Old 05-05-2008, 01:06 PM   #21
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

I've been playing Madden since the early Genesis days till now. I guess I need to find a new hobby because I've never paid notice to no pockets.

I've always was more concerned about my reads vs a pocket. I never went back 20 yds, either.

I'm sure it would be a plus to have a NFL pocket, but I won't get worked up or lose any sleep over it because I've never noticed it before.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2008, 01:06 PM   #22
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
are you joking?

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 05-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #23
MVP

yamabushi's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
true, but the gamer should be punsish and not awarded for the 20 step drop. He should be sacked and not be able to throw a 50 yard strike down the field.
why not have something similar to the old vision cone, but, for the 'pocket' where if the QB drops back out of this area theres a sharp drop-off in accuracy. this will penalize the back pedaling players and teach them where there supposed to be.
but, of course, this requires decent O-line AI.....
Old 05-05-2008, 01:10 PM   #24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I've been playing Madden since the early Genesis days till now. I guess I need to find a new hobby because I've never paid notice to no pockets.

I've always was more concerned about my reads vs a pocket. I never went back 20 yds, either.

I'm sure it would be a plus to have a NFL pocket, but I won't get worked up or lose any sleep over it because I've never noticed it before.
Have you ever played online and someone dropped back 20 yards? It kind of kill coverage and make zones useless. A pocket will bring more football logic to the game vs finding new ways to nano blitz to be successful.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »