Home

Could EA make two football games?

This is a discussion on Could EA make two football games? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #25
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Could EA make two football games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
No, what it should let you know is that not everyone thinks it is crap.
What it lets me know is that the majority is willing to settle for mediocrity instead of greatness.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2008, 07:10 PM   #26
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
What it lets me know is that the majority is willing to settle for mediocrity instead of greatness.
to me it lets me know that people can enjoy the game for what it offers and not worrying about what it don't. People have fun with the game for what it offers. Whats wrong with that?

I don't think anybody is settling for anything. They are playing a game that they get enjoyment from. At the same time, they are looking forward to improvements each and every year. Maybe the improvements aren't coming on the grand scale that some believe they should, but they are coming.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 05-12-2008, 07:13 PM   #27
umd
MVP

umd's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Maybe the improvements aren't coming on the grand scale that some believe they should, but they are coming.
With the bar set so low on the new hardware there's no where to go but up ...and slowly.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:16 PM   #28
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by umd
With the bar set so low on the new hardware there's no where to go but up ...and slowly.
at least they're going up.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:18 PM   #29
umd
MVP

umd's Arena

Quote:
at least they're going up.
not in franchise mode they aint...
Old 05-12-2008, 07:20 PM   #30
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by umd
not in franchise mode they aint...
we'll have to wait til this year to judge that. Last year, no they weren't, but this year, has yet to be determined.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:52 PM   #31
MVP

yamabushi's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Maybe the improvements aren't coming on the grand scale that some believe they should, but they are coming.
Besides graphics, theres no 'improvements', theyre still playing catch-up to last-gens feature set.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2008, 08:00 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
It's hard to tell when there's no other NFL game to take market share from it. Madden has been successful because of brand name and marketing plus the fact at one time, it actually WAS the most realistic football sim on the market.

It's a bit of a myth that consumers don't want realism. If the history of football games has taught us anything, it's that brands can gain the market share quickly if they come out with a great football game.

Tecmo Super Bowl wasn't the most sim game looking back on it, but for it's time it set the bar for realistic football games. Then Madden came out on the SNES and quickly gained the market share with it's passing icons and other innovations. NFL Gameday came to the PS1 and nearly killed off Madden with it's realistic gameplay and it's polygons over sprites. Finally, NFL2K5 took LOADS of market share from Madden. You're fooling yourself if you don't think 2K5 outselling Madden on the XBOX wasn't a big deal considering that the 360 is the most popular sports game console. There's also a reason that NFL QB Club, ESPN Primetime, NFL Blitz, and NFL Fever have never really been that successful despite being "more arcade" and better graphically.

Besides, you don't see games like Call Of Duty 4, Rainbow Six, Bioshock, etc. dumbing down gameplay and lacking basic factors required of those games. Hell, I've heard people complain that GTA4 is too hard. So it shouldn't be an excuse for Madden. Lacking realistic passing/line play engine is inexcusable no matter how you put it and represents an extreme misfire on how EA decides to desgin there game.
Thank you!!! Post of the year, IMO.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »