Home

Could EA make two football games?

This is a discussion on Could EA make two football games? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-13-2008, 07:10 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 17
Re: Could EA make two football games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bears5122
That "realism with a wink" approach took a double digit percent loss in sales last year. Lets face it, Madden sells because of brand name, lack of competition and the best marketing of all the companies.
I'd bet my house that 2K's market share loss going from NFL2K5 to the bare-bones port of APF2K8 is quite alot larger EA's market share loss. The price point of NFL2K5 is the reason they got a piece of EA's market share the last time around (as a previous poster stated), not realism. If those gamers were truly in it for the "realism" then they would've at least given APF a sniff. They didn't. APF was pretty much dead on arrival. And don't tell me it's because of the license, because Pro Evolution Soccor (formerly Winning Eleven) kicked FIFA's rear in both review scores and sales most of the time. If enough people actually thought APF was some revolutionary sim game then the game wouldn't have been pretty much cancelled after just one showing.

And in case some of you have forgotten, Madden 05 reviewed right there with NFL2K5 almost across the board. We're talking review scores by hardcore gamers like you and me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2008, 07:10 PM   #42
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamabushi
Its called a fix. Improving is making better.
Ill ask you this; again, besides graphics, how is the 360/PS3 '08, '09 better then PS2/XBox '04, '05, '06?
again, I am talking about the current gen games being improved. Not improved over the last gen games, just improved over the likes of Madden '06, '07, and '08 on the 360/PS3. And the inclusion of last gen features is an improvement to the series on the current gen.(360/PS3)

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 05-13-2008, 07:20 PM   #43
Banned

So many of the haters can't seem to grasp the realities of building a game that must be released on a yearly basis. I wonder what the world would have thought of a GTA4 if had been released with one year's worth of dev time being built from the ground up. Two years? The reviews, bugs, and glitches would've been abysmal. Despite what the haters have been trying to say, NG Madden has been built from the ground up. And it will take time to get the game to where many feel it needs to go wit ha yearly release.......just like the last gen. Go pop in a copy of NFL2K for Dreamcast. Then play NFL2K1 and tell me there's a ton of difference. Then pop in NFL2K5. A TON of difference. Same engine, hugely different game. Why is that? The answer is development time. You could apply the same formula and experiment to the Madden of LG and the result would be exactly the same.

Somebody mentioned Bioshock and Call of Duty. Those games were in production for several years before they were released. And when they were released there were still glitches and bugs. Hell, COD's online service was busted for some time after it came out. Ask yourselves OBJECTIVELY how those games would have played if released after a year of development, and then a sequal a year later. The same principles would apply.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:24 PM   #44
umd
MVP

umd's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
again, I am talking about the current gen games being improved. Not improved over the last gen games, just improved over the likes of Madden '06, '07, and '08 on the 360/PS3. And the inclusion of last gen features is an improvement to the series on the current gen.(360/PS3)
That's like sweeping dirt under the rug because you're too lazy to throw it in the garbage.

You're not wanting to compare last gen to this gen is because this gen of Madden has pretty much sucked. To take a terrible (I mean truly lackluster) effort like Madden 06 and make it like they're improving (by just) a bit each year is ridiculous. That football game was so poor it had nowhere to go but up.

If EA is to be complemented (new improvements! new features!) for re-adding old features they should be trashed for the ones that haven't be re-added yet.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:27 PM   #45
Banned

Oh, I think you'd trash EA's game no matter what.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #46
MVP

yamabushi's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
I'd bet my house that 2K's market share loss going from NFL2K5 to the bare-bones port of APF2K8 is quite alot larger EA's market share loss. The price point of NFL2K5 is the reason they got a piece of EA's market share the last time around (as a previous poster stated), not realism. If those gamers were truly in it for the "realism" then they would've at least given APF a sniff. They didn't. APF was pretty much dead on arrival. And don't tell me it's because of the license, because Pro Evolution Soccor (formerly Winning Eleven) kicked FIFA's rear in both review scores and sales most of the time. If enough people actually thought APF was some revolutionary sim game then the game wouldn't have been pretty much cancelled after just one showing.

And in case some of you have forgotten, Madden 05 reviewed right there with NFL2K5 almost across the board. We're talking review scores by hardcore gamers like you and me.
APF died on the vine due to lack of a franchise option. plain and simple. Which PSE/winning 11 has had for years.

As for '05/2K5 review scores... Ill just point you to the absurd ratings for '06 on the 360 to show how seriously they should be taken.

Quote:
Thank you.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:30 PM   #47
umd
MVP

umd's Arena

Quote:
NG Madden has been built from the ground up. And it will take time to get the game to where many feel it needs to go wit ha yearly release
No way it has . It is the same gameplay engine for 8+ years. "Ground up" is a bit of an overreaching exaggeration my friend. Sure Madden doesn't have a development cycle like GTAIV and never will be expected to. But, to say it's been completely rebuilt is a ridiculous statement.

So based on your schedule, and this "ground up" business you're spouting when exactly can we expect a full feature list that resembles the PS2/Xbox consoles?

2011? 2012? 2013? What if new consoles come out? It's fair to say it's cool to start over again? Or will it be the same "ground up" engine since the 2000 ish?

Rinse and repeat.

Last edited by umd; 05-13-2008 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:32 PM   #48
umd
MVP

umd's Arena

Quote:
Oh, I think you'd trash EA's game no matter what.
Don't you have an EA cheerleading competition to get to?

I'll trash Madden, well, when Madden's trash. I like good games. NCAA football last gen was an awesome series oh and god forbid made by EA. I'm hoping they can get it righted for 09 so that I can see the feature list return to ps2/xbox levels in 2010.

Madden has stunk next gen. It's been a buggy (Franchise and TO's), lackluster (radio guy?) mess.

Last edited by umd; 05-13-2008 at 07:37 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »