Home

Could EA make two football games?

This is a discussion on Could EA make two football games? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-09-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
Banned

ColumbusKilled's Arena

OVR: 13
Could EA make two football games?

Does anyone know the details of their license?

Is there some reason that they couldn't build something akin to the 2K series for hardcore sim gamers and leave Madden to the arcade fans?

Do the terms of their license allow them unlimited NFL games? They are certainly making Head Coach which has not only the NFLPA and NFL licenseses, but the coaching licenses.

Why not build a game from the ground up that would satisfy the people that think Madden is a joke?

I know that I would certainly buy it, and I think a lot of 2K fans like myself that won't buy a Madden until it becomes slightly realistic would likely pick it up as well. They already expended the money on an NFL license, so if the license allows them to slap that on multiple games (I haven't played NFL street, but I know that it uses the NFLPA license at a minimum) what is stopping them?

(Other than the fear that given a competitor that people will not buy Madden).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: Could EA make two football games?

I think, at least for now, Head Coach is their attempt at satisfying the hardcore gamers. But of course that does nothing for the hardcore gamers who want to actually play the games.

I'm not entirely sure but I think they are actually forced to put out more than one game a year because of the exclusive license contract.

Personally, I'd love to see them do what you are proposing if they ever buy out Take Two. It'd be nice to see them keep the 2K football and basketball engines as their sim games and continue their Madden Challenge style football with Madden. I highly doubt they'll do this though.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

they already make three football games. NFL Tour, Head Coach, and Madden. And for better or for worse, I don't see them making a fourth.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 05-09-2008, 05:38 PM   #4
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
they already make three football games. NFL Tour, Head Coach, and Madden. And for better or for worse, I don't see them making a fourth.
That's basically it right there.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 05-10-2008, 04:44 PM   #5
Think Different

onetonmartin's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageTheInfinite
That's basically it right there.
They ought to cut it down to Madden Fun and Madden Pro.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2008, 04:55 PM   #6
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

I would like that option, but it wouldn't be a good business move. The first probelm, is that Madden is currently marketed as a sim. It would be pretty tough to market the new game as "Now this one is REALLY REALLY a Sim!!".

The other problem is that they would be investing alot to build a new game that would basically steal some sales from the original. Yeah, they would pick up a few extra sales from guys like you and me, and some folks might get both games.....but not nearly enough to cover the investment.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:39 PM   #7
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
I would like that option, but it wouldn't be a good business move. The first probelm, is that Madden is currently marketed as a sim. It would be pretty tough to market the new game as "Now this one is REALLY REALLY a Sim!!".

The other problem is that they would be investing alot to build a new game that would basically steal some sales from the original. Yeah, they would pick up a few extra sales from guys like you and me, and some folks might get both games.....but not nearly enough to cover the investment.
exactly.

EA's three football games in my opinion are marketed as so:

NFL Head Coach: Sim
NFL Tour: Arcade
Madden: Sim/Arcade

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 05-11-2008, 09:21 AM   #8
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

EA does not make a game like 2k because they can't. They do not have the know how to make a realistic football game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »