Home

Great idea to replace the vision cone

This is a discussion on Great idea to replace the vision cone within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2008, 12:42 AM   #33
Release the Kirchen

auburntigersfan's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Great idea to replace the vision cone

i don't like it, with the vision cone no matter what qb you had you could succeed. In this it will be less up to skill and more luck.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #34
Pro

Sigma4Life's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburntigersfan
i don't like it, with the vision cone no matter what qb you had you could succeed. In this it will be less up to skill and more luck.
How is this up to luck? If anything it requires more skill because Peyton Manning will be clearly better than Trent Dilfer. If your playing with Dilfer you have to think twice about passing because you know he'll only 'see' 3 receivers on a given play. You can still be successful with him but you'll need to play with more skill. With Manning you have comfort knowing you can hit any open receiver on the field. That sounds pretty realistic to me.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:05 PM   #35
MVP

FunNgun034's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma4Life
I posted this on the NCAA forums and I'm curious about what you fellas think. This is copied verbatim from that thread:
-------
I think I have the solution. There should be 5 tiers of QB awareness with the following benefits/penalties.

Tier 5:
All 5 receiver buttons are active at the snap and throughout the duration of the play. This is your top of the line QB who will hit whoever is open no matter what the defense throws at you. Think Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

Tier 4:
4 receiver buttons are active at the snap. The 5th receiver is active at some random point during the play. This is your really good QB who rarely misses an open receiver.

Tier 3:
3 receiver buttons are active at the snap. The 4th & 5th receiver buttons become active at a random point during the play. This is the average QB for most schools. He sees most of the field but definately not all. Most highly rated freshmen would come in at this level. The vast majority of Juniors and Seniors would be tier 3 or above.

Tier 2:
2 receiver buttons are active at the snap. The 3rd, 4th and 5th receiver buttons become active at a random point during the play. This is a player that is more athlete than QB. This guy is probably a QB in HS that was switches back and forth between WR and QB depending on team need. McFadden may be a good example.

Tier 1:
1 receiver button is active at the snap. The 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th buttons become active at a random point during the play. This is a guy that simply isn't a QB. An example is a WR who is playing the position solely based on his speed.

Before the play the player can select which receivers he wants active at the snap. Obviously a tier 5 can skip this step. A tier 3 would press 3 buttons to select his primary receivers. It could be something as simple as pressing X, Y & B after selecting the play which means you want receivers X, Y & B active at the snap.

This could be taken a step further. When a QB gets rattled he may drop a tier.

Overall I think this solution takes into account the AWR in a very realistic way. Bad QBs never see all of their receivers. I think it would be fun & realistic to try and play your rocket armed freshman QB but be forced to bench him because he doesn't allow you to hit the open receiver with regularity. You'd play that intelligent but slow, weak armed senior QB because he allows you to get the ball to the open guy consistently.
the cone sucks period..... I like the dont fix it if it aint broken theory.... Madden sucks period and so does EA !!! I like the idea... you better patent it before EA uses it in 2010 lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2008, 01:26 PM   #36
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma4Life
How is this up to luck? If anything it requires more skill because Peyton Manning will be clearly better than Trent Dilfer. If your playing with Dilfer you have to think twice about passing because you know he'll only 'see' 3 receivers on a given play. You can still be successful with him but you'll need to play with more skill. With Manning you have comfort knowing you can hit any open receiver on the field. That sounds pretty realistic to me.
Yep. I really like the idea more and more. All I would add would be the "QB Pressure" implementation. So even if you had a QB that could see 4 icons at the snap. When the DL/LB or whoever starts to get pressure, the icons start disappearing. Man that would actually add more to the importance of getting pressure on the QB especially the elite QB's.

then let's say the QB evades the rush the icons came back....etc..

Good stuff.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 05-16-2008, 07:53 PM   #37
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Yep. I really like the idea more and more. All I would add would be the "QB Pressure" implementation. So even if you had a QB that could see 4 icons at the snap. When the DL/LB or whoever starts to get pressure, the icons start disappearing. Man that would actually add more to the importance of getting pressure on the QB especially the elite QB's.

then let's say the QB evades the rush the icons came back....etc..

Good stuff.
I liked the idea at first as well, but a good point was made about having a reciver wide open right in front of you and not being able to trow to him would be a major flaw. I think maybe having the teirs affect pre-snap diagrams may be the best way to impliment it. (i think EA is already adding something to this effect.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:59 PM   #38
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunNgun034
the cone sucks period..... I like the dont fix it if it aint broken theory.... Madden sucks period and so does EA !!! I like the idea... you better patent it before EA uses it in 2010 lol
well that added a lot to the discussion.

And personally, I like(d) the vision cone. It may not have been the greatest or best way to distinguish one QB from the next but it was something.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 05-16-2008, 08:39 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
well that added a lot to the discussion.

And personally, I like(d) the vision cone. It may not have been the greatest or best way to distinguish one QB from the next but it was something.
Yes that is the best way to distinguish QB's. Maybe the cone can shrink as the pressure gets closer.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:32 PM   #40
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii_Stars
Yes that is the best way to distinguish QB's. Maybe the cone can shrink as the pressure gets closer.
I don't know that I would say that its the best way, especially with how "generic" it was to begin with. There are other ways to distinguish between the different QB's and the number one thing that I would love to see is different throwing animations. That in my opinion, along with vision cone would be a great combination.

However, the cone is good, but its time for them to expand upon it. Yes, its smaller for average QB's and larger for QB's of Pro Bowl caliber but we need to see other "influences" be added.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »