Home

Madden 09: Tackling Engine Blog & Video

This is a discussion on Madden 09: Tackling Engine Blog & Video within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2008, 12:24 AM   #33
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: New Blog And Video (Tackling Engine)

"And here come the pretzels. A barrage of pretzels downing Whitey Ford." If anyone can tell me what thats from and who said it, they get a poster of the week award!

Man I cant stop watching this vid......
Old 05-15-2008, 12:24 AM   #34
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

It looks real good, but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet. The two full gameplay vids have been lackluster so I have to see more on that front. But this could be a big step in the right direction.

One little nitpicky thing. The football is a little bit too big and it makes the ball carrier look a little unnatural looking.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 05-15-2008, 12:25 AM   #35
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Are the 'camera shakes' in the game, or did he add those for emphasis? they actually make a considerable impact IMO and without them the video wouldn't be the same.

I'm not meaning to be negative but I'm not seeing the differences very easily. Can someone sum them up? At slightly after half way through, Andre Carter tackles Vince Young with that ball strip attempt/potential 15y face mask penalty tackle that has been in the series since Madden 05 or so. How is this different now? and if it isn't, why is it in this video?

All the animations are nice, but I see nothing there that tells me this is a different animation system. I see little to no real gang tackles. I see absolutely no example of the engine handling momentum and velocity like a true engine should. I see no rag doll. I still see defenders bounce off tackles (e.g. Brandon Jacobs vs Pats about a quarter through). Every animation there could have been pre-rendered. For all we know, they just made a whole heap of new pre-determined animations and improved the system to load more suitable ones, as well as break animations when a new one is trying to be instigated. This is fine, but it isn't an ideal tackling engine.

When EA can happily proclaim "never see the same tackle twice" in Madden, then I'll be impressed. That marketing line is the true calling card of a proper animation system by today's gaming standards and funnily enough is starting to emmerge in most EA games that actually have competition.
my opinion is based on the videos ive seen thus far in conjunction with the blog, it just seems less scripted and more open from the vids seems like more stuff is happening on the fly as opposed to: players meet +animation triggered = play over. im with holding judment till i play em , but it just seems as though EA is making the efforts to to take it next gen ( or i should i say catch up to current gen LOL )
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2008, 12:26 AM   #36
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub88
I was about to say the same thing. Thanks goodness to the end of players falling like bowling pins.
Maybe in 1 on 1 situations, but the video clearly shows the phenomena remains in 2 or more vs 1 situations. About a quarter through, Jacobs is down the sideline and a Pats defender takes out his legs, while the other is knocked over like a bowling pin.

Hey, it can happen in real life. But what also happens in real life is the 2nd defender hits the free falling body in mid air and changes its direction with a collision. Sorry guys, but until that is a reality in Madden I won't be impressed. When you're fully aware of what animation systems are out there, it's hard to be impressed by anything still based on primitive physics engines.

Last edited by Nza; 05-15-2008 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:28 AM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 5

i saw at least 4 differnt wrap tackles not including the ones that the runners broke out of......plus its may 15th relax breath you cant act like the people at ea arnt working there tails off every week your getting at least two updates .take the vid for what it is showing off more responsive animations
Old 05-15-2008, 12:30 AM   #38
Nza
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeDogg
my opinion is based on the videos ive seen thus far in conjunction with the blog, it just seems less scripted and more open from the vids seems like more stuff is happening on the fly as opposed to: players meet +animation triggered = play over. im with holding judment till i play em , but it just seems as though EA is making the efforts to to take it next gen ( or i should i say catch up to current gen LOL )
That's cool, but those improvements could be achieved by simply improving the system the blog author mentions was already in Madden. He talks about how, with their 300 or so tackle animations, the best one was chosen for the situation and sometimes this just wasn't good enough.

So you change the system, right? well, maybe not. You could just add 100's of more animations to enhance the probability a better one is chosen, and improve the code to instigate animations at closer range. Add in break points in animations to exit the full animation early and you have pretty much what Madden is now. Is this really a "new system"? A new system would be a pure physics engine.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:35 AM   #39
Nza
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmark
i saw at least 4 differnt wrap tackles not including the ones that the runners broke out of......plus its may 15th relax breath you cant act like the people at ea arnt working there tails off every week your getting at least two updates .take the vid for what it is showing off more responsive animations
Right, I'm not saying the video didn't look good (still want to know about the camera shakes though) or even it wasn't an improvement over 08 in the animation department, I just question the claims it is a "new system", or an "all new tackling engine".

It may seem trivial, but I think it's important to question if we ever want to see truly advanced tackling in Madden. I would hate for EA to proclaim it's a new engine and then fail to push towards the next big tackling animation advancement (i.e. true physics) because "we already made a new tackling engine in 09".
Old 05-15-2008, 12:35 AM   #40
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
"And here come the pretzels. A barrage of pretzels downing Whitey Ford." If anyone can tell me what thats from and who said it, they get a poster of the week award!

Man I cant stop watching this vid......
The Simpsons...technically the Announcer is saying that, but Marge was in charge of the pretzels

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »