Home

Finally upgrading to Next Gen (Help Needed)

This is a discussion on Finally upgrading to Next Gen (Help Needed) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 1
Finally upgrading to Next Gen (Help Needed)

Wassup fellas. It’s been a while since I’ve posted but I check the forums often. Anyway, the wife and I are taking our some of tax return money and putting it towards fixing up the house. Re-painting and refurnishing the living room and den.

Part of the upgrade is to upgrade our TV’s to HD. To my surprise, the little woman suggested I should upgrade my system to Xbox360 or PS3, since I still playing on the Current Gen (PS2). Who am I to argue with wifey (lol). With that said, I haven’t really been paying attention to the pro’s and con’s of each system because I didn’t really see myself upgrading anytime soon.

My question, for those that have next gen systems, is which would you suggest? Keep in mind the following:

1) I currently have PS2 (never owned an Xbox).
2) I enjoy playing video games, but don’t really have a lot of time to play. My collection over the last 3 years has consisted of buying the new NCAA, the new Madden and the newest version of Grand Theft Auto. (another reason I would like to upgrade since GTA IV is not available for PS2).

Are the PS3 and Xbox360 versions of Madden / NCAA drastically different?
Is the online experience (particularly on Madden) better on PS3 than Xbox360 (or vice versa)?

Any help you provide is greatly appreciated.

Also, I am still stuck in the 90’s when it comes to technology so any advise on HD / LCD/ Plasma TV’s you guys can give would also be welcome.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Finally upgrading to Next Gen (Help Needed)

What's happening,

I'll help you the best I can. I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I'll give you my opinions:

As far as HDTV, I have a 32" 720p Sony Bravia. The picture is pretty good and for the most part I'm satisfied. However, I know once I move into a bigger place, I'm going to want a bigger TV. Though Sony is a good quality TV, there's several other quality TV's out there w/ better prices. One brand I would suggest is Vizio. I personally don't have one but from what I've seen, the picture is pretty good and the price is right. If you run to Best Buy or Circuit City, an associate should be able to break down the pro's and con's of each. Also, read customer reviews; if nothing else, they're usually informative.

As far as Xbox 360 or PS3, that's a never ending discussion lol. I currently have a 360 myself but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't considering picking up a PS3 as well. Since you already have a PS2, you might want to roll with a PS3. But, I'd suggest you wait until the Metal Gear Solid PS3 Bundle comes out on June 12 before you pick one up. You'll get more bang for your buck then as opposed to grabbing one of these 40G ones.

As far as Madden and NCAA goes, it's been said that both versions will be nearly identical this year. But I still wouldn't be suprised if the 360 version held the edge over the PS3 version this year.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:09 PM   #3
Pro

clarkerots's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Pitt
Wassup fellas. It’s been a while since I’ve posted but I check the forums often. Anyway, the wife and I are taking our some of tax return money and putting it towards fixing up the house. Re-painting and refurnishing the living room and den.

Part of the upgrade is to upgrade our TV’s to HD. To my surprise, the little woman suggested I should upgrade my system to Xbox360 or PS3, since I still playing on the Current Gen (PS2). Who am I to argue with wifey (lol). With that said, I haven’t really been paying attention to the pro’s and con’s of each system because I didn’t really see myself upgrading anytime soon.

My question, for those that have next gen systems, is which would you suggest? Keep in mind the following:

1) I currently have PS2 (never owned an Xbox).
2) I enjoy playing video games, but don’t really have a lot of time to play. My collection over the last 3 years has consisted of buying the new NCAA, the new Madden and the newest version of Grand Theft Auto. (another reason I would like to upgrade since GTA IV is not available for PS2).

Are the PS3 and Xbox360 versions of Madden / NCAA drastically different?
Is the online experience (particularly on Madden) better on PS3 than Xbox360 (or vice versa)?

Any help you provide is greatly appreciated.

Also, I am still stuck in the 90’s when it comes to technology so any advise on HD / LCD/ Plasma TV’s you guys can give would also be welcome.
Sorry, I'm still stuck on the part where your wife suggested you should upgrade your system! Damn, you should marry that woman!!!! Oh.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:39 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
What's happening,

I'll help you the best I can. I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I'll give you my opinions:

As far as HDTV, I have a 32" 720p Sony Bravia. The picture is pretty good and for the most part I'm satisfied. However, I know once I move into a bigger place, I'm going to want a bigger TV. Though Sony is a good quality TV, there's several other quality TV's out there w/ better prices. One brand I would suggest is Vizio. I personally don't have one but from what I've seen, the picture is pretty good and the price is right. If you run to Best Buy or Circuit City, an associate should be able to break down the pro's and con's of each. Also, read customer reviews; if nothing else, they're usually informative.

As far as Xbox 360 or PS3, that's a never ending discussion lol. I currently have a 360 myself but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't considering picking up a PS3 as well. Since you already have a PS2, you might want to roll with a PS3. But, I'd suggest you wait until the Metal Gear Solid PS3 Bundle comes out on June 12 before you pick one up. You'll get more bang for your buck then as opposed to grabbing one of these 40G ones.

As far as Madden and NCAA goes, it's been said that both versions will be nearly identical this year. But I still wouldn't be suprised if the 360 version held the edge over the PS3 version this year.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:05 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Since you have a PS2, I would go with a PS3. Plus, you get a blu-ray player to go with your new HDTV.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2008, 07:45 PM   #6
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

PS3 + Vizio FTW
Old 05-15-2008, 08:00 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

DTX3's Arena

OVR: 56

You could never go wrong with a PS3, and i use my 360 90% of the time. But a video game console(reliable one), along with perhaps the best Blu-ray player out for $399 is a steal.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:13 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
PS3 + Vizio FTW
For all the ppl who don't know the vizio brand is made by sony ....Yes cheaper but a great value...... Anyway i would say since you have a ps2 get a ps3 BUT those 3 games i don't think will be making the move so if you like the sony brand get a ps3 great system,if your a bit of a cowboy try the xbox360--both are good game consoles with a ps3 you get a blu-ray player for hd-movies,but you can stream hd movies from the xbox360 marketplace off live.........Hard to pick ...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »