Home

Ian Cummings- " Let's discuss player movement... "

This is a discussion on Ian Cummings- " Let's discuss player movement... " within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-19-2008, 11:04 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 16
Ian Cummings- " Let's discuss player movement... "

Quote:
The other "Hello everyone" thread is obviously being loaded with feature requests and questions, so I wanted to address some player movement posts which seemed very passionate. (Please keep discussion in this thread towards THIS topic if at all possible. I will continue to update the FAQ and the other thread with other answers.)

Here are the two major posters I'll respond to:

“As for the gameplay being too twitchy, That has been my issue with all next gen Madden's to date. It feels too much like 2k and Gameday, that to me is something I never really could understand. I do however understand the battleship reference and it being too loose which makes one step out of bounds or miss a hole because of it.” – Pens87Crosby

“You guys are abandoning the genius design that made the early Madden's great in favor of an arcade thumb fest with no football required. To the MaddenMania community, for instance, the Hardcore player is the NFL fan who wants a true-to-life simulation of NFL football, except with us in control... so when EA attempts to tell the MM community that they're catering to them, they're doing precisely the opposite.” – ajdembroski

Ahhh...Mr. Dembroski. "Is that your friend out back in the wood chipper?" I've been reading your posts on MM since I was a producer on Madden NFL 2004. Both of you make excellent points. All I can say is just to wait a little bit longer to make assumptions like this:

"Now I'm seeing that NextGen has done away with inertia apparently"
- adembroski2 (digitalsportsmania)

To me, 09 reaches the perfect balance between the ultra-twitch of 08 and the un-steerable feel of last-gen. I guess the difference with me though is that I am not going to try to get on here and "sell" or "hype" our version of momentum to you - you need to see it for yourself. I realize your concerns...you don't have to plant and gather for 180 cuts, you can turn and face a direction immediately without having to curve, you can do ridiculous moves while sprinting, etc. Those have all been addressed, but some have more give than others for fun-factor. You'll see in the blog that Simon is releasing this week that a big trick to our new engine has been in actually implementing and forcing gather animations for all these situations that last year had nothing (i.e turning on a dime), but our engine allows those animations to be steered and modified procedurally based on ratings. This to me brings a much better balance between true realism while still feeling like you are in full control of the player.

Again though, I don't want you to think I'm trying to sell you because my taste may differ from your taste which may differ from the 5 million other folks that play this game (which is always the most difficult thing about working on Madden). I understand your pessimism too, if you feel like you've been burned by past releases of next-gen Madden I am in no position to tell you that you're wrong to by guarded or cautious.

Just to help give you a little more optimism, here's a post from PastaPadre's first impressions of NCAA's control (and note that Madden's control is slightly MORE momentum-based):

"...At first it took a little while to get acclimated to the player weight, momentum, and foot planting. Movement looks and feels much more natural but at first felt a little heavy. After a few minutes playing though it really began to feel like it was just right. User control is big especially in the running game or in the run after the catch. Elusiveness and acceleration attributes are huge...."

We're hoping to get a video out with the blog post that shows a ballcarrier in action solo - just running around doing moves. I'd like to see your feedback on those videos when they hit as well.

So hit me with your thoughts!
http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread....65944&tstart=0
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Ian Cummings- " Let's discuss player movement... "

Good stuff, thanks for posting this.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
All Star

OVR: 21

It'll be interesting to see. I always thought momentum in the last gen NCAA's (specifically '06) was damn near perfect in terms of how it depicted acceleration versus quickness and how the defense reacted to directional changes/speed and took appropriate angles. Outside of the tackling I thought that aspect made NCAA '06 and 2K5's running game neck and neck (2K5 didn't have that same sense of acceleration/speed imo).

I don't see any of that type of movement in the current NCAA vids, and I can't take most of the stuff Pastapadre says with seriousness. The other guy that gave impressions from that even mentioned it though so it'll be interesting to see if they've gone from next to no momentum to being able to match what was being done last gen.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 05-19-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

This does sound good. I sure hope it is used correctly
Old 05-19-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 16

Player movement in Madden on PS2/XBOX was perfect IMO....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2008, 11:55 AM   #6
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

Man i was hoping when it said Player Movement, it was talking about Franchise stuff
Old 05-19-2008, 11:59 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Man i was hoping when it said Player Movement, it was talking about Franchise stuff
I am so more worried about them getting the on the field stuff right before they go with all the other stuff right now. First things first.......BASICS!
Old 05-19-2008, 03:34 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by djordan
Player movement in Madden on PS2/XBOX was perfect IMO....
It flows and looks alot more realistic than next gen IMO. How sad is that even to consider? Look at Grand Theft Auto 4, now that's how to make a game next gen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »