Home

Now THIS is atmosphere and presentation!

This is a discussion on Now THIS is atmosphere and presentation! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-29-2008, 07:47 PM   #41
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Now THIS is atmosphere and presentation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Everytime I see your avatar I get pumped for The Show heh.
its a great game.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2008, 11:39 PM   #42
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

OVR: 11

I've always thought this idea for presentation, especially in something like franchise, would be an excellent idea:

Everybody loves stats. Not only would I like to see more stat overlays, but I would like in depth comparison stats. So, for example, if Adrian Peterson in, say, 2010 in franchise mode has already hit 7,500+ rushing yards, I'd love to see a stat that mentions that he's the first player to reach such a number in such a short amount of time.

But, I'd like to go further. I'd also love to see a photo of Peterson (or whoever) with his stats lined up against, say, Barry Sanders and Jim Brown. I'd like to see the stats of all three players in relation to whatever the commentator is saying. So if Peterson eventually gets 100 TD's in his career, I'd like to see how many games it took him compared to Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, or Jim Brown. Then have the commentator talk about it.

And you can do so much with this idea. If Tomlinson is closing in on the all-time Emmitt Smith rushing record, I'd like to have them show both their stats side by side, and state how impressive of a feat this is.

Likewise, it can be a double-edged sword. If I draft a QB in round one, and he's not playing well, compare his first three years in the NFL to QB's who were picked in the similar range as my QB. So if I draft him at #3 overall, compare his stats to Peyton Manning and Troy Aikman, and discuss how my QB doesn't seem to be on pace to have a solid career due to the statistical comparison.

I think it would bring a lot of weight to the game, strengthen franchise mode, and would be a great nod to NFL history.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:46 AM   #43
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000
I've always thought this idea for presentation, especially in something like franchise, would be an excellent idea:

Everybody loves stats. Not only would I like to see more stat overlays, but I would like in depth comparison stats. So, for example, if Adrian Peterson in, say, 2010 in franchise mode has already hit 7,500+ rushing yards, I'd love to see a stat that mentions that he's the first player to reach such a number in such a short amount of time.

But, I'd like to go further. I'd also love to see a photo of Peterson (or whoever) with his stats lined up against, say, Barry Sanders and Jim Brown. I'd like to see the stats of all three players in relation to whatever the commentator is saying. So if Peterson eventually gets 100 TD's in his career, I'd like to see how many games it took him compared to Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, or Jim Brown. Then have the commentator talk about it.

And you can do so much with this idea. If Tomlinson is closing in on the all-time Emmitt Smith rushing record, I'd like to have them show both their stats side by side, and state how impressive of a feat this is.

Likewise, it can be a double-edged sword. If I draft a QB in round one, and he's not playing well, compare his first three years in the NFL to QB's who were picked in the similar range as my QB. So if I draft him at #3 overall, compare his stats to Peyton Manning and Troy Aikman, and discuss how my QB doesn't seem to be on pace to have a solid career due to the statistical comparison.

I think it would bring a lot of weight to the game, strengthen franchise mode, and would be a great nod to NFL history.
Man, that's good!

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 05-30-2008, 03:34 AM   #44
MVP

OVR: 12

First off, that PBP is absolutely atrocious. I can't imagine they would put a game out with that. We're talking worse than the radio announcer and back to the days of Joe Montana Sports Talk. Hammond sounds like he was hit in the head with something.

Next would be atmosphere, and I agree 100% with the original poster. I would take an upgrade in crowd dynamics over an announcing crew anyday. I don't see why this is that hard to do either. Get a sound guru in to mess with the crowd pitches and noises. Emulate some real life crowds. Then plug them in in the appropriate scenes. Close games have a higher volume, close plays have a higher pitch, etc. Breaking away on a big run should send the crowd crazy, just as throwing a pick in an important part of the game should send a gasp through the crowd.

I still am sticking by my statement that these games are just not made by big football fans. They just don't watch enough to see how crowds normally react. EA should really take their development team and send them across the country to pro and college games throughout the season to understand why football is great. Why crowds go wild. The crowd is still an embarassment to the game, along with the announcing. I'm sorry, but from the early looks of things, Madden continues to be the running joke of the sports gaming world.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:37 AM   #45
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bears5122
First off, that PBP is absolutely atrocious. I can't imagine they would put a game out with that. We're talking worse than the radio announcer and back to the days of Joe Montana Sports Talk. Hammond sounds like he was hit in the head with something.

Next would be atmosphere, and I agree 100% with the original poster. I would take an upgrade in crowd dynamics over an announcing crew anyday. I don't see why this is that hard to do either. Get a sound guru in to mess with the crowd pitches and noises. Emulate some real life crowds. Then plug them in in the appropriate scenes. Close games have a higher volume, close plays have a higher pitch, etc. Breaking away on a big run should send the crowd crazy, just as throwing a pick in an important part of the game should send a gasp through the crowd.

I still am sticking by my statement that these games are just not made by big football fans. They just don't watch enough to see how crowds normally react. EA should really take their development team and send them across the country to pro and college games throughout the season to understand why football is great. Why crowds go wild. The crowd is still an embarassment to the game, along with the announcing. I'm sorry, but from the early looks of things, Madden continues to be the running joke of the sports gaming world.
Well said! It's a huge downer when you break off a big run, pass, or defensive play only to hear a minimal reaction by the crowd whether home or away. This should be a #1 priority where presentation/atmosphere is concerned.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2008, 10:11 AM   #46
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

The producers over at FIFA are headed in the right direction. Listen to to the different levels of crowd volume in this video. Also note that as a team gets the ball near the opponent's goal the sound of the crowd actually swells and builds. The crowd dynamics in FIFA are pretty good.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:31 AM   #47
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
The producers over at FIFA are headed in the right direction. Listen to to the different levels of crowd volume in this video. Also note that as a team gets the ball near the opponent's goal the sound of the crowd actually swells and builds. The crowd dynamics in FIFA are pretty good.

That is light years ahead of any Madden game I have ever played! I just don't understand how EA can get one game so right, and another so wrong?

I'm not much of a soccer fan, but watching that video actually felt like I was watching a real live sporting event. That could never be said of any Madden versions up to this point. Sure wish EA would do a bit more sharing between it's core games ... now I understand what BKing has been talking about when he tauts FIFA as a much better game.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:44 AM   #48
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler99
That is light years ahead of any Madden game I have ever played! I just don't understand how EA can get one game so right, and another so wrong?

I'm not much of a soccer fan, but watching that video actually felt like I was watching a real live sporting event. That could never be said of any Madden versions up to this point. Sure wish EA would do a bit more sharing between it's core games ... now I understand what BKing has been talking about when he tauts FIFA as a much better game.
I told you. It has it's quirks and shortcomings, but it is "next-gen." And the animations and ball physics are the best I've ever seen in a sports game. And UEFA has even more authentic feel. I'm not trying to always bring up Fifa but I feel that so much of what they bring to the table could find it's way into Madden/NCAA. What's sad is that, while I'll buy both of these games, the REAL "football" title I'm waiting for is Fifa09! Rumour has it that they'll have 10v10 online play.....

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »