Home

Ian Pockets and DE Play

This is a discussion on Ian Pockets and DE Play within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-31-2008, 12:56 PM   #49
MVP

OVR: 52
Re: Ian Pockets and DE Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekey55
Ian,

One thing I noticed in your Mo-Cap session videos is that the actors werent violent enough...I know that sounds weird, but watching an NFL game O-line D-Line battles are like war. The trenches need more life and speed in my opinion.

This level of intensity will probably be difficult to incorporate due to the safety of your mo-cap talent, but hopefully there can be an urgency and intensity added to all your animation packages.
This is very much an issue - we all notice it too. It's something that is really hard because of a.) safety and b.) exertion amount. These guys can do upwards of 80 shots like those in a row...so it's a tough balance of getting things done while still having good quality "violence" - that's a great way to put it. Usually that's a big part of the job of our animators - to take fringe-NFL semi-tired mocap data and turn it into NFL-style action. But only so much can be done. It's something we can definitely improve on at capture though...
Old 05-31-2008, 12:58 PM   #50
MVP

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Those are good. I'm also looking for stuff like this

Haynesworth sets McNeil up here. He takes his first step outside and then moves back to McNeil's inside shoulder. Also notice KGB. He does not move in and get stuck onto or ridden by the Guard. He hand fights with the Guard and loops around. The Guard releases him and attempts to pick up Haynesworth but it is too late. The big man splits there attempt to double. Of course I think Ideally what McNeil was probably supposed to do is slide back and try to pick up KGB.

I would definitely recommend Bull Rush and one nobody has done and that is Speed Rush.
Another great reference video. Thanks man.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:07 PM   #51
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

You could have me come in and do mo-cap I'm not as athletic as I once was, but I have the technique down... you just gotta speed up the animations a bit:P
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2008, 01:16 PM   #52
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Also Ian, I think one thing you guys should look into is having Dline moves tagged to specific players. I wouldn't want everyone using Freeney's spin move and speed rush. Not everyone should perform Strahan's Bull Rush. Some guys should have multiple moves, some guys one move, and maybe some guys no pass rush moves - particularly guys that are just run stoppers.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:19 PM   #53
Banned

OVR: 13

Ian, is there zone blocking in Madden? If you play with Denver, Atlanta, Houston or Oakland, can you see aspects of zone blocking in the offensive line execution?

Also, is All Pro voting still tied to pancakes and, if so, are pancakes realistic and balanced? In other words are you getting less because youre a HUM player playing on 8 or 7 minute Qtrs?
Old 05-31-2008, 08:48 PM   #54
Rookie

Deltron's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15
Hey guys,
So I looked around all morning and put together a video of basically what would be a very small (but core) set of edge pass rush moves for whenever the time would come that we attack this OL/DL re-vamp. Obviously we'd have a lot more variety and try to do some player-styles too, but this is just a nice sampling of moves. If you want to see more specific ones (like bull rush or something), let me know and I can look for them.

Implementation wise, the way it might work could be something like:
1. Initial moves go to... ->
2. Lowered Locomotion (very short time, if at all) which goes to... ->
3. Get Engaged Moves ->

3a. All the "Get Engaged" moves would have branch windows that allow you to break out of the engagement. These would be trigger the "Non-Engaged" pass rush moves in the video. ->

4. If you don't get out of the move during the branch window, you get "engaged", which would be the looping 2 man "rip-sunk" animation (or a normal Head-Up animation obviously too based on your gap / pass rush assignment). This could loop for a really short time (i.e. maybe 2 steps) or all the way around the pocket if we want to. Key control details for these looping animations are:
4a. Be ever-so-slightly "steer-able" so you feel like you're still in control. The better you are as a DL, the more steering control / feel you have. This part bugged me about 2k because those edge rushing animations (like Too Tall Jones) were just really long canned animations.
4b. Be "branch-able" at any time for special moves or sacks. Again, the thing that bugged me about 2k's was though they could branch out into sacks, you couldn't do anything as a user during that time. I'd really like to get the guy looping around the edge then be able to set him up with a sick spin move a la Freeney.
One quick suggestion ... I hope all of these windows and moves are available to the AI defenders as well ... because plenty of people do not control the dlinemen when on defense, yet would still expect to see an effective pass rush.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:44 PM   #55
All Star

OVR: 20

Is there a way you could incorporate DL play with the R stick? So that pushing left on R stick pushes off to the left and pushing right on R stck pushes off to the right.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #56
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41

Those videos are great. Any way to have more than one interaction going at once in mo cap? Meaning, a full OL vs DL? Reason i ask, is on the "success" moves by the DL, the OL still faces up, doesnt attempt to get in a better position, or help out another O Lineman. The OL gets beat, and then goes back into his stance, back to the QB. YOu never see that in the NFL. When an OL gets beat, he either holds the D Lineman, or attempts to run with him and ends up back at the QB's feet, he NEVER just lets him go and squares up (unless its a screen).

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »