Home

Why won't they let us put DE's at OLB?

This is a discussion on Why won't they let us put DE's at OLB? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-04-2008, 11:14 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: Why won't they let us put DE's at OLB?

This is a very reasonable request since the strong emphasis on the 3-4 defense. a 4-3 DE and a 3-4 OLB have similar duties so these positions should be able to switch either way on the depth chart for online players.

For those franchise guys you can switch his position to OLB and then use him at either.

As far as I know the idea of limiting where you can put certain positions was put into place because of people finding cheap ways to use these. With the addition of the new ratings these cheap moves should no longer help people.

basically moves like putty Randy Moss at CB are no longer affective because he would have very low man and zone coverage which would make him rely on physical skill only and this is exactly what he would have to do.

You guys did a great thing with the new next gen ratings so the depth chart can now have a lot of restrictions lifted
Old 06-04-2008, 11:36 AM   #10
MVP

BCJMU99's Arena

OVR: 10

Can we change players positions this year as well as all the changes we were able to edit on players last year??
JMU Football season ticket holder
UVA Football, Basketball & Baseball

76ers
Flyers

Currently playing Madden 23(XBX) and FFXVI , and PGA 2K23(PS5)
Old 06-04-2008, 01:01 PM   #11
Pro

Sigma4Life's Arena

OVR: 9

I think this is something EA should consider squeezing into 09. It seems like it may be a simple fix although I can see how this could cause bugs elsewhere.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2008, 02:09 PM   #12
Xeo
Banned

OVR: 3

wow, you've got to be kidding me... this really sucks because after seeing big blue's ratings i've been wondering what i'm going to do to utilize

Osi- 97
Strahan-94
Tuck-94

i thought maybe i could move tuck to OLB in certain formations... or maybe when i run a 3-4 have strahan at DT and tuck and Osi on the ends... or just having Strahan and Osi on the ends and then having kiwanuka and tuck at the OLB positions... that would be a sick *** pass rush... now you're saying i won't be able to do this? so basically tuck will only play when strahan or Osi get tired or if i put one of those 3 ends at DT? that's really bad...
Old 06-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #13
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

this is now two threads that you have started that could've very easily been asked in the Q&A thread stickied at the top of the page.

Why not post there if you are wanting/expecting an answer from Ian/EA?

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 06-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeo

i thought maybe i could move tuck to OLB in certain formations... or maybe when i run a 3-4 have strahan at DT and tuck and Osi on the ends... or just having Strahan and Osi on the ends and then having kiwanuka and tuck at the OLB positions... that would be a sick *** pass rush... now you're saying i won't be able to do this? so basically tuck will only play when strahan or Osi get tired or if i put one of those 3 ends at DT? that's really bad...

An NFL offensive coordinator would giggle with glee if he saw Strahan playing NT...he's simply too light in the pants. Actually, all of them would be considered too "small" to play line in a 3-4. In real life, besides backing up Osi & Strahan, the Giants did use Tuck as an effective DT in certain pass rush formations.

Another recent example is rookie Glenn Dorsey (6"2, 316), even with the injury concern flags, he was still widely considered the best defensive player in the draft. Some "experts" thought he was the best player overall. Parcells (a noted "3-4" defense guy) passed him over because he wasn't a good fit for the defense.

I do agree with the opinion that I think it'd be great if we were able to edit player positions in Madden 09. Especially DE's to OLB, I could compromise with not allowing OLB's to DE's...they would potentially be too devasting as speed rushers and in reality, the Colts would prob be only team to use a lineman the size of an average OLB.

Peace
Old 06-12-2008, 06:23 PM   #15
Pro

servo75's Arena

OVR: 9

Forget about the DE/OLB for a minute, you can't even change a player from a LG to a RG!! Madden might have 3 players who are "LG" on a depth chart, and 1 player who is a "RG", and you can't change LG to RG.

Personally, I wonder why the roster has to have "right" and "left" positions at all! Why not just have "G", "T", "DE", and just use left and right in the depth chart??
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2008, 06:45 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by servo75
Forget about the DE/OLB for a minute, you can't even change a player from a LG to a RG!! Madden might have 3 players who are "LG" on a depth chart, and 1 player who is a "RG", and you can't change LG to RG.

Personally, I wonder why the roster has to have "right" and "left" positions at all! Why not just have "G", "T", "DE", and just use left and right in the depth chart??
I'm pretty sure you can do that in the depth charts.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »