Home

IAN - QUESTION & CONCERN On disappearing PASS ICONS

This is a discussion on IAN - QUESTION & CONCERN On disappearing PASS ICONS within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-03-2008, 11:56 AM   #9
Banned

FootballDetails's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: IAN - QUESTION & CONCERN On disappearing PASS ICONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Ian - Could we get this feature added to ranked games so this feature will actually be utilized as intended, ie to help cut down cheesing online?
I think that's a great idea. I don't expect serious players to drop back 20 yards. It's a smart feature, but it needs to be expanded into other levels of play to be fully realized and appreciated.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:59 AM   #10
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
I'm probably one of the few that thinks this is a terrible idea. QBs don't lose their vision when they leave the pocket. I think it would have been better to keep the icons, improve the line interaction and let footwork & ratings take care of the rest. This is one of those cases where EA needs a FOOTBALL fix, not a video game one.

What I would like to see is a modified version of the cone, without the cone. Split the field in 2 for good QBs and into 3-4 for those with lesser vision. Make it so the icons only appear in sections the QB is looking. The good QBs would only have to look left & right. The lesser QBs will have to look in 3-4 directions.

With better line interaction, realistic footwork/accuracy/power relationship and a coneless cone system, the passing game would be sweet.
I think more of the issue is online play with players dropping back 20+ yards on pass plays to by time on passes and take advantage of the poor D-line madden has. This makes it tough since all QB's throw still perfect to either side of the field. So this is a great Idea to force people to play realistic and stay atleast NEAR the pocket. My concern is people still exploiting the roll-out part of it.

But I do hear what you are saying and I think IAN and the crew already stated this is a Band-aid type fix just for this year and a more fleshed out fix will be included next year. This is just something the community wanted so they included something for us.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:59 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
I'm probably one of the few that thinks this is a terrible idea. QBs don't lose their vision when they leave the pocket. I think it would have been better to keep the icons, improve the line interaction and let footwork & ratings take care of the rest. This is one of those cases where EA needs a FOOTBALL fix, not a video game one.

What I would like to see is a modified version of the cone, without the cone. Split the field in 2 for good QBs and into 3-4 for those with lesser vision. Make it so the icons only appear in sections the QB is looking. The good QBs would only have to look left & right. The lesser QBs will have to look in 3-4 directions.

With better line interaction, realistic footwork/accuracy/power relationship and a coneless cone system, the passing game would be sweet.
Maybe disappearing icons are not a good long term solution, but it is a great immediate solution for this year due to the lines not being where they need to be. And I agree with Odogg, it needs to be for online ranked since this is the arena that gives rise to the complaint.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2008, 12:02 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Well I also had in mind nano blitzes too. So even if you do run like that, in the case of a nano blitz you would do best just to keep it and run up the field because there will be no coming back to the area where a pocket should be formed.
Yea i felt that is what you were refering to. I was just kind of using a broad "time to throw" general assumption.

Remember when play maker came out and people would take vick and run for the sidelines and makes throws across the field and anywhere they wanted and it was extremely tough to do anything to counter this? I am concerned of the same kind of thing.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:10 PM   #13
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:

Having the icons turn off is not the long term solution but as you guys know OL/DL interaction did not receive a major look this year.

I only expect to see this patch needed for this year and this year only I'm sure the team can come up with a better solution next year.

Although I will take this for right now.

Last edited by Russell_SCEA; 06-03-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell05

Having the icons turn off is not the long term solution but as you guys know OL/DL interaction did not receive a major look this year.

I only expect to see this patch needed for this year and this year only I'm sure the team can come up with a better solution next year.

Although I will take this for right now.
russel did Ian and them say anything when u were there on how this will be handled? My main question is on the first post.

Thanks bro
Old 06-03-2008, 12:24 PM   #15
Pro

Sigma4Life's Arena

OVR: 9

I think disabling icons is a very rudimentary fix that will solve some problems yet cause others. The proper fix, which can easily be implemented immediately in 09, is to greatly reduce QB accuracy once they drop back 10+ yards.

The inaccuracy of the throw should be based on the distance from the QB to the intended receiver. Any throw beyond 5 yards from the LOS should be very inaccurate and not reach the intended receiver 90% of the time. I think passes to RBs in the flats short crossing routes should reach the intended receiver but should not hit him in stride.

Ideally it would work like the following when the QB is more than 10 - 15 yards behind the LOS:

When the intended receiver is:
behind LOS: 1 - 2 yards off target
0 - 5 yards beyond LOS: 2 - 3 yards off target
6 - 15 yards beyond LOS: 3 - 5 yards off target
16 - 30 yards beyond LOS: 6 - 10 yards off target
31+ yards beyond LOS: 11 - 20 yards off target
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2008, 12:31 PM   #16
Pro

Blazelore's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma4Life
I think disabling icons is a very rudimentary fix that will solve some problems yet cause others. The proper fix, which can easily be implemented immediately in 09, is to greatly reduce QB accuracy once they drop back 10+ yards.

The inaccuracy of the throw should be based on the distance from the QB to the intended receiver. Any throw beyond 5 yards from the LOS should be very inaccurate and not reach the intended receiver 90% of the time. I think passes to RBs in the flats short crossing routes should reach the intended receiver but should not hit him in stride.

Ideally it would work like the following when the QB is more than 10 - 15 yards behind the LOS:

When the intended receiver is:
behind LOS: 1 - 2 yards off target
0 - 5 yards beyond LOS: 2 - 3 yards off target
6 - 15 yards beyond LOS: 3 - 5 yards off target
16 - 30 yards beyond LOS: 6 - 10 yards off target
31+ yards beyond LOS: 11 - 20 yards off target

Yeah but in real life how many QBs have ever dropped back 10 yards and becomes less accurate. As long as they have time to throw they're fine. That's not a good solution. Hell remember that play in 05 or 06 when McNabb was chase all around in the backfield for like 20 yards but still ended up completing like 60+ yard pass to Pinkston? That play lasted like 15 seconds. There needs to be more of a clutch or composure rating to determine whether or not he can make those throws. It shouldn't just make him less accurate and that's it. You know thats not realistic!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »