Home

Question about Accelerated Clock

This is a discussion on Question about Accelerated Clock within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-03-2008, 12:12 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
Question about Accelerated Clock

I never used this feature on the legacy gen versions of the game. Can someone explain exactly what it is and why is it so important that everyone wants it included in the game? Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: Question about Accelerated Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeveli20
I never used this feature on the legacy gen versions of the game. Can someone explain exactly what it is and why is it so important that everyone wants it included in the game? Thanks.
Its a 60 minute game but the time just accelerates instead of real-time. Its good for getting realistic stats.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:23 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

So you can only use it on 15 minute quarters? And if so, what is the non-accelerated clock equivalent in terms of quarter length?
Old 06-03-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Because it doesn't take us as long as an NFL team to get a play into the QB, the accelerated clock speeds up the clock in the huddle so it simulates how long it takes.

Makes clock management much more realistic. Unfortunately for some reason Tiburon has always made it go back to normal clock speed with 2 minutes to go in the half... which is kinda self defeating considering that's when clock management is most critical.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:43 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Its a 60 minute game but the time just accelerates instead of real-time. Its good for getting realistic stats.
That is not it at all. The clock is still real time only it accelerates to 19 seconds left on the playclock as soon as you break the huddle. That way more time elapses between plays.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Unfortunately for some reason Tiburon has always made it go back to normal clock speed with 2 minutes to go in the half... which is kinda self defeating considering that's when clock management is most critical.
Actually I hated how in APF the accelerated clock stayed until the end. In real life, teams are quite capable of getting to the line with 25+ seconds left on the play clock when pressed for time, even without running the no huddle offense. So the accelerated clock robs you of 5+ seconds for every play in such a situation. Your only option to counter this is the no huddle.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:49 PM   #7
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69

So why is it better than just shortened quarters if you still get a similar numbers of plays in? Just for the time of possession stat?

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Carolina Panthers - Nashville Predators
Old 06-03-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
Actually I hated how in APF the accelerated clock stayed until the end. In real life, teams are quite capable of getting to the line with 25+ seconds left on the play clock when pressed for time, even without running the no huddle offense. So the accelerated clock robs you of 5+ seconds for every play in such a situation. Your only option to counter this is the no huddle.
I second that. I actually lost a game b/c of that (I had a chip shot FG set up w/ not timeouts left but the time accelerated and time ran out).

Just for clarification for the threadstarter, you don't necessarily have to play on 15 min quarters when you use accelerated clock. You can still have the quarter length that you desire. Another reason I liked accel. clock is b/c you didn't have as much time to make adjustments at the line of scrimmage. It really put the pressure on to make quick decisions.

Crossing my fingers that it makes it's way into '09 ...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »