Home

New lawsuit against EA!!!

This is a discussion on New lawsuit against EA!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-12-2008, 09:18 AM   #41
MVP

mdgoalie37's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: New lawsuit against EA!!!

I really don't get the joy that people get from seeing possible litigation against a company like EA. I get it when people were happy when Enron went down becasue they wound up ruining employees' retirement funds.

Essentially EA won a bid. The NFL decided to sell their license to one company and choose EA. EA would have been foolish not to bid for this liscense. A new stadium has bids for design, construction, vending and the works, is there a lawsuit brought by fans becasue of the lack of beverage or food options?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2008, 10:30 AM   #42
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
I'm no lawyer and really could care less about this type of stuff, but I don't think what you're saying is the argument. I'm pretty sure they are saying that EA has cornered the football market completely---with exclusive deals such it's three exclusive deals.
Yes that is their argument. However, what adambroski was saying is that if courts start ruling on a limit to exclusive league licenses that can be purchased by a single company it will actually end up hurting the leagues' freedom to sell their licenses and trademarks as they see fit.

Say company A already has 3 exclusive licenses and that is the limit. Then say league X want to sell its license exclusively. Company A cannot bid on that license because it has reached the limit. So at the very least it lowers the potential price league X will get for its exclusive and in the worst case scenario it can make exclusivity worthless to the league because without other bidders the price won't reach the premium that makes exclusivity attractive to the leagues. Heck, there may be no bidders at all.

Last edited by mercalnd; 06-12-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:35 AM   #43
It's 5 o'clock somewhere

beau21's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
Say company A already has 3 exclusive licenses and that is the limit. Then say league X want to sell its license exclusively. Company A cannot bid on that license because it has reached the limit. So at the very least it lowers the potential price league X will get for its exclusive and in the worst case scenario it can make exclusivity worthless to the league because without other bidders the price won't reach the premium that makes exclusivity attractive to the leagues. Heck, they're may be no bidders at all.
less exclusive licenses sounds great to me!

Old 06-12-2008, 10:36 AM   #44
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
It's a shame they didn't mention the fact EA own the rights on PC and deliberately chose not to release a PC game this year, hence blacking out the platform from any new NFL game. That's pretty unethical behaviour right there.
That's exactly what 2K did with baseball. They have exclusive rights to it for the PC since there is no such thing as "first party" in PC gaming.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pro-EA, anti-2K or anything. I do wish there weren't these exclusive license deals. I just don't think they are illegal in any way since these licenses are just the right to use trademarks and I firmly believe that any company (or league in this case) should have total freedom over how they wish to use/sell their trademarks.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:40 AM   #45
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1221
less exclusive licenses sounds great to me!

Believe me I wish there weren't any exclusives either. I just don't think that the courts should be telling companies how they can and cannot sell their trademarks. That's part of capitalism too but no one seems to care about that while they're screaming monopoly and consumer choice.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #46
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Ridiculous. It's a video game guys.

Before I got on these boards, I though Madden 08 was a good game.

For guys that have no idea how Madden is produced at Tiburon, they are sure asking for much.

Just because it was in current-gen doesn't mean it has to be in next gen. I didn't know computer programming/coding or wateva its called was easy.
asking for too much?! We are asking for features that date back as far as 4+ years ago. You know what... because it was in current gen DOES mean it has to be in next gen, because by definition, Next Gen is supposedly more powerful, more spacious, more resourceful, and better. When you have as much money and resources as EA... IT IS EASY.

As a matter of fact, when I think about it. Madden is the ONLY game on Next Gen that has regressed... the ONLY one (that matters). GTA, COD, NBA 2k is what I can speak on, but Madden is the only game that I know of on Next Gen that has regressed. Explain that.

Let's get the fantasy football section poppin!
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/fantasy-football/
Old 06-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #47
Banned

OVR: 10

Why couldnt the NFL allow only 2 developers instead of one? That wouldnt be much headache for them and we the consumers would get a choice. They would make more money because then consumers would have a opportunity to make a decision. Besides, we the consumers are getting more impatience by the lack of progress by EA. Soon it wont be only forums, but youtube, people at stadiums, and other methods to voice there frustration. We need only 2 developers, and let the public make there choice. I hope those guys win and make a change. Even if they dont, it might open some eyes in the NFL and EA about how we feel.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:41 AM   #48
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21
Smile Re: New lawsuit against EA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowherPower
There is ONE major difference however. EA's deal locks EVERYONE out from producing an NFL game,where 2k's deal only limits 3rd party.
From a baseball perspective,gamers still have a choice of another licensed MLB game...with football,we don't have that choice.

I'm sick and tired of all this licensing crap just like alot of other folks are.
As far as your comment about 2k always being "plagued every year by some major glitch"....the same can easily be said about Madden.

Bottom line.....this exclusive crap (imo) has only crippled the sports gaming genre. I've said this before,and I'll say it again......
I have not seen ANYTHING in either company's game to warrant exclusivity.......except greed.
Then take it up with the leagues giving out the licenses. The NBA didn't go exclusive, neither did the NHL. MLB went 3rd party exclusive, and both NASCAR and FIFA are with EA as well.

EA isn't exactly innocent with this situation, but a huge chunk of their business is the licensed sports games. I don't blame them for getting all the available licenses they could get. I do blame the NFL though, as they're the ones holding the rights to license their property as they see fit. I highly doubt EA pays them more money than the NFL would see if they had their license fully open.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »