Home

New lawsuit against EA!!!

This is a discussion on New lawsuit against EA!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-11-2008, 07:00 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 10
Smile New lawsuit against EA!!!

Gamers sue EA over football exclusivity

Pair of Madden purchasers going to court over "blatantly anticompetitive conduct" by locking down NFL, NCAA, and Arena Football licenses.

By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot Posted Jun 11, 2008 8:35 pm GMT

Electronic Arts already has antitrust issues on its plate, given that the company is currently seeking federal approval to acquire Take-Two Interactive. Last week that plate got a little more crowded when a pair of gamers in Washington, DC and California filed suit against the publisher in the US District Court of Northern California, alleging "blatantly anticompetitive conduct" in the way that it has cornered the football-gaming genre.
The class-action complaint focuses on Electronic Arts' actions since 2004, when Take-Two Interactive's NFL 2K5 was released at a $19.99 price point and sold more than 2.9 million copies in the US, according to NPD figures. Take-Two's previous football game, ESPN NFL Football, sold fewer than 450,000 copies in the US. Meanwhile, EA dropped the price of its Madden 2005 from $49.95 to $29.95 in response.
"This vigorous competition benefited consumers," according to the suit. "Electronic Arts could have continued to compete by offering a lower price and/or a higher quality product. Instead, Electronic Arts quickly entered into a series of exclusive agreements with the only viable sports football associations in the United States: the National Football League, the Arena Football League, and NCAA Football."
With no Take-Two competitor the following year, the suit notes that Electronic Arts raised the price of Madden 2006 back to $49.95, an increase of nearly 70 percent. The suit also brings up Electronic Arts' attempted acquisition of Take-Two, saying that it "would remove one of the few companies with the ability and expertise to compete in the market for interactive football software" if EA somehow lost its exclusive deals.
The suit does not address Take-Two's bid to reenter the football market with former player licenses but no professional league attached. That game, All-Pro Football 2K8, sold a little more than 275,000 copies at US retailers, according to the NPD Group.
The plaintiffs are asking for restitution and damages for those who purchased an Electronic Arts football game since August of 2005, disgorgement of all profits made as a result of anticompetitive actions, and that the infringing agreements be declared null and void.
A representatives with Electronic Arts said the publisher could not comment on pending legal matters. The plaintiffs had not responded to GameSpot's requests for comment as of press time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 27
Re: New lawsuit against EA!!!

Wow, someone actually followed through with all the threats going around the net.

Good luck to both of them. I doubt they will win anything, but you never know if these guys have "people" in high places.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Good luck boys. (girls)

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 06-11-2008, 07:19 PM   #4
Rookie

Ronnie brown23's Arena

OVR: 3

they need all the luck they can get. they have a .0000001% chance of winning.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:00 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 25

Unfortunate futile attempt. **** every time I think about all the exclusive sports games licenses out there it pisses me off thinking about what could have been.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2008, 09:08 PM   #6
Pro

Sigma4Life's Arena

OVR: 9

It's worth a shot. They make very good arguments with regards to EA's response to NFL 2K5.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:11 PM   #7
Pro

CptObvious's Arena

OVR: 9

This is a waste of time...the NFL et all are privately run organizations who can exclusively license their product how they see fit, regardless of the merits contained in the lawsuit. It will probably get dismissed rather quickly.

I wish them luck as I would love to see some real competition for Madden and NCAA, but its just not going to happen.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:35 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 6

Competition would be great but it really is a waste of time. The NFL themselves wanted only 1 developer so it is not ALL EA's fault. The way in which they went about it may seem a little..."monopoly-ish" but that is how it worked out.

I honestly think a developer should just try and get a game going, without the NFL license there is also some huge potential. It won't sell like the NFL game does but it will sell to the hardcore and there must be a lot of fans of a good, realistic playing game. Why do they need the NFL? It will just make them lazy like it did to Tiburon, though I think Tiburon are feeling the heat and that is why they are coming onto the boards and "getting community feedback". Thank you for coming onto the boards, just be ready for critisism, it is well deserved based on the lackluster stuff that has been coming out since the competition disappeared.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »