Home

EA why cant you fix the QB throwing animation?

This is a discussion on EA why cant you fix the QB throwing animation? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 52
Re: EA why cant you fix the QB throwing animation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
The qb animations have been pitiful compared to 2k's and I have often wondered myself why EA never fixed this. Just look at 2k8 and all of the big name qb's and it's obvious that 2k has captured their throwing styles PERFECTLY. I think the OP has a good point but maybe said it the wrong.

If the "small team" of designers, artists, and programmers are passionate like you say then why has it taken so long to fix the many issues that has stopped people like myself from playing it for the last 3 years. I'm not trying to bash but you have been using 2k's football games for ideas to improve madden so obviously they were doing something right. It just doesn't make sense that a game made 3 years ago on a last gen system (2k5) and a game made without the benefit of an NFL license and a small budget (2k8) could be so far ahead of the only football game in town. Just curious about how passionate ea has been about madden up until now.
Honestly, is there an answer right I could write that would satisfy this question? Of course not. All I can say is that they may have "perfected "some things, but they also didn't perfect others. The same can be said for us...we have a much deeper product than 2k8 but our passing animations aren't as smooth as theirs. But obviously the things that they perfected were more important than our depth or other features that we perfected (at least to you and probably many others), and unfortunately that's the way things sometimes shake out.

If QB animations make it so you can't play our game, then that's cool with me. Follow up with us next year and hopefully we'll have had time to address that part of the game to make you want to play it again.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #34
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15
Honestly, is there an answer right I could write that would satisfy this question? Of course not. All I can say is that they may have "perfected "some things, but they also didn't perfect others. The same can be said for us...we have a much deeper product than 2k8 but our passing animations aren't as smooth as theirs. But obviously the things that they perfected were more important than our depth or other features that we perfected (at least to you and probably many others), and unfortunately that's the way things sometimes shake out.

If QB animations make it so you can't play our game, then that's cool with me. Follow up with us next year and hopefully we'll have had time to address that part of the game to make you want to play it again.
I actually plan on buying madden this year because I like what I have seen so far not to mention how desperate I am to have an NFL licensed football game. Again I wasn't trying to be rude and thanks for responding.

Last edited by Eddie1967; 06-14-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:18 PM   #35
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Trouble with QB animations is just because someone has good form, that doesn't make 'em right for it. I have almost perfect form, because I've studied the position all my life, even since I stopped playing it, but I don't have the flexibility, so it wouldn't look right... my arm doesn't have that stretch as I'm driving my shoulder forward.
That's not the problem though. Play NBA2K8 and The Show and you would see how much signature styles add to those games.

Having a Peyton Manning throw like somebody completely different just takes away from the immersion factor. Add in that a QB is throwing an average of 55-60% of the time in the game, and I would say it's a big deal.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2008, 09:05 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 15

Ian will we be getting a Madden Demo before the game releases this year?
Old 06-15-2008, 12:18 PM   #37
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
The qb animations have been bad compared to 2k's and I have often wondered myself why EA never fixed this. Just look at 2k8 and all of the big name qb's and it's obvious that they captured their throwing styles PERFECTLY. I think the OP has a good point but maybe said it the wrong way.

If the "small team" of designers, artists, and programmers are passionate like you say then why has it taken so long to fix the the qb throwing animations. I'm not trying to bash but you have been using 2k's football games for ideas to improve madden so obviously they were doing something right. It just doesn't make sense that a game made 3 years ago on a last gen system (2k5) and a game made without the benefit of an NFL license and a small budget (2k8) could be so far ahead of the only football game in town when it comes to player interaction and game play, although this year madden seems to be making great strides. I'm glad your here to get input from people so that madden can become a better game. Just curious about how passionate ea has been about madden up until now.

I wholeheartedly agree with your comments. Why three years into the next gen cycle have QB animations not been improved upon with Madden is a mystery. 2K5 and 2k8 has so much realism with the way the QB position moves and throws. This issue with EA may not be a game killer but it takes away some realism to satisfy many consumers enjoyment in which the two in my opinion are so tightly bound.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:31 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Awesome idea.
Yea it seems odd the the biggest sports game in video games today backed by the biggest video game company in existence would not establish a bigger team of developers.

Madden generates millions and millions and millions of dollars for EA each year, you'd figure they could splurge a little and get more people in so basic features did not have to slip off the radar.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:03 PM   #39
Banned

FootballDetails's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
But obviously the things that they perfected were more important than our depth or other features that we perfected (at least to you and probably many others), and unfortunately that's the way things sometimes shake out.

I appreciate this statement, Ian. It's simple and honest. I'm one of the people who thinks 2K8 perfected things of more importance. If given the chance, I believe the Madden team could also perfect the same issues.

I don't mind the lack of depth in APF 2K8 because the game plays great, and that's the most important thing. Once it was apparent that Madden 08 was an atrocious game (sorry to be blunt), I had no interest in seeing how deep it went.

It comes back to this: I think the Madden team needs to be expanded.

Here's an example: The sound design of the crowd noise on Madden 09 seems like it wasn't given enough attention. It comes across as flat and uninspired. (I hope it can be tweaked before release.) I'm guessing it's due to a simple lack of resources. I'm sure there are a lot of dedicated and talented people working at EA, but there are only so many hours in the day.

I understand the reality of priorities, but I also understand the option of bringing in more people.

Last edited by FootballDetails; 06-15-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:22 AM   #40
Banned

OVR: 2

The throwing motion has traditionally been pretty weak. The motion in 2k5 is perfect.

Before anyone says I'm a 2k5 fanboy I stopped playing that game as soon as madden 2005 came out.

I think it's important because it's an animation you see so much, it's really a hit to realism if that doesn't look right.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »