Home

Field Goals..does anyone care?

This is a discussion on Field Goals..does anyone care? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2008, 07:53 PM   #17
fishstick

OVR:
Re: Field Goals..does anyone care?

It cannot be rebuilt this year but I don't see why they cannot put more emphasis on player rating and wind. Even with all else the same that would make playable difference. Cut the max distance down for all these guys and if the wind played a bigger roll most should be afraid to go for a 45 yard FG unless the wind is at your back. I would assume the engine already has these factors built into it - just tweak them.

Ok. I just googled this and found some crazy good stat data on FG.

Quote:
Field goal kicking is measured differently. Measuring kickers by field goal percentage is a bit absurd, as it assumes that all field goals are of equal difficulty. In our metric, each field goal is compared to the average number of points scored on all field goal attempts from that distance.
http://www.bbnflstats.com/2007/09/im...r-ranking.html

illustrates the average FG% for kicks from various distances

Last edited by fishstick; 06-16-2008 at 08:09 PM.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:25 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Field Goals..does anyone care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh
I agree this needs to be high on the list as do kick offs and punts. There should not be any meters period! The camera should be down level with the field and up close to the action and the kicking should be like ALL PRO using the right stick. After I finally figured out how to do it- it was a thing of beauty.
I agree with this completely. No meter is the way that APF2K8 did it and it certainly made the kicking game exciting. 2K8 gave feedback after each kick and eventually you would get a feel for it. BUT, you could never quite master it. Just like in real football, you never could be completely certain. Ratings did matter in that game, however the user could still blow it.

I want Madden '09 to be the best game it can be (just like everyone else here) and addressing this vital aspect of football would certainly help.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »