Home

Quite simply will sim play be rewarded in 09

This is a discussion on Quite simply will sim play be rewarded in 09 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-24-2008, 10:12 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: Quite simply will sim play be rewarded in 09

I guess best case scenario is to plea for a "hardcore" mode with accurate penalties, ineligible downfield, penalizing immobile quarterbacks, accuracy off excessive dropbacks etc...

I would not think it would be alienating Mountain Dew Nation if this was an optional mode. Keep default an arcade fest, but at least give us a simulation option if the game is going to be advertised as a simulation of a real life sport.

I still dont understand why Fifa trends to be moving in a more realistic fashion while Madden stays stagnant arcade. Maybe it is because Fifa is more of a niche market, while Madden is the big fish in EA's sports pond and they think different modes would alienate their casual fan base.

To speak to that, the casual Dew nation is so impatient if their casual gameplay remained default they would not everr even know there was a hardcore mode, as they are so impatient that they change nothing anyway. In goes the disc, on goes the game, and away go the 50 yard bombs into triple coverage, no alienation there is my point.

Regarding stick skills trumping football i.q, it's not more of a mastery of the control scheme, its a willingness to abuse glitches and game shortcomings to pad a shortcoming of self worth, manifesting itself in terms of how a visual representation is being played. It's a hey I am willing to compromise the game to do a touchdown dance to feel better about me as a person. My 2 cents anyway.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:37 PM   #18
Pro

Sigma4Life's Arena

OVR: 9

Fair play on next gen anyone? I think it's time for it to make a return.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:39 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma4Life
Fair play on next gen anyone? I think it's time for it to make a return.
Yeah if it don't rob me on going for it on 4th and 5 in the 4th quarter when i'm down by 17 points with 58 seconds to go like it did on past gen.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 06-24-2008, 11:35 PM   #20
Rookie

o 99 PROBL3MS o's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Yeah if it don't rob me on going for it on 4th and 5 in the 4th quarter when i'm down by 17 points with 58 seconds to go like it did on past gen.
I hear you ODogg but honestly if your down 17pts with 58 seconds left then game is probably over more often than not lol. I think the easiest fix for this online is to make fairplay the standard for ranked matches. I would allow people to play without the fairplay rules in unranked games. The amount of times people go for 4th down on this game is outlandish. Instead of punting on 4th and 6, your opponent chooses to run a hb pass or wr pass for the first down. That is lame. Fairplay would solve this and I'd be willing to take a few losses when I'm down 17 with a minute left in order to have it haha. Good point though Odogg.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:41 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK JAMES 1914
I hear you ODogg but honestly if your down 17pts with 58 seconds left then game is probably over more often than not lol. I think the easiest fix for this online is to make fairplay the standard for ranked matches. I would allow people to play without the fairplay rules in unranked games. The amount of times people go for 4th down on this game is outlandish. Instead of punting on 4th and 6, your opponent chooses to run a hb pass or wr pass for the first down. That is lame. Fairplay would solve this and I'd be willing to take a few losses when I'm down 17 with a minute left in order to have it haha. Good point though Odogg.
Yeah the pros definitely outweigh the cons. If they could just rework the logic a little more for situations like I described then it'd be great.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2008, 11:59 PM   #22
Pro

I would like to see improvements not only for online mode giving people the opportunity to play hardcore simulation ball, but also offline user vs user games.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:45 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 1

IF you guys want to play sim football just play real life football. I think the problem many of us have is the fact that we expect next gen video games to be as realistic as possible, but we need to understand this is not simulation football, it will never be. It's just a video game! I've given up hope that madden will ever be accurately simmed because in all due respect playing sim football would just frustrate the hell out of the majority of the gamers out there who are not looking to playing a game of inches rather a game of high scores and deep balls. Like most of the people who posted to this thread, EA is just appealing to what the majority want and that is fun, you don't have to have to have a lot of football knowledge to be damn good in Madden as evidenced by the number of online players who have at best 1-2 plays in their arsenal, do nothing but nano-blitz, throw lobs to moss, or owens. Pure joystick skills>pure football IQ, all day everyday. Don't believe me? Look at the dudes who compete every year in the Madden Challenge.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:03 AM   #24
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdiddy80
IF you guys want to play sim football just play real life football. I think the problem many of us have is the fact that we expect next gen video games to be as realistic as possible, but we need to understand this is not simulation football, it will never be. It's just a video game! I've given up hope that madden will ever be accurately simmed because in all due respect playing sim football would just frustrate the hell out of the majority of the gamers out there who are not looking to playing a game of inches rather a game of high scores and deep balls. Like most of the people who posted to this thread, EA is just appealing to what the majority want and that is fun, you don't have to have to have a lot of football knowledge to be damn good in Madden as evidenced by the number of online players who have at best 1-2 plays in their arsenal, do nothing but nano-blitz, throw lobs to moss, or owens. Pure joystick skills>pure football IQ, all day everyday. Don't believe me? Look at the dudes who compete every year in the Madden Challenge.
One at a time I guess, the fact that I work 60 hours a week on third shift to support a family, and cant risk injury or have 21 other guys at my disposal makes real life football a little difficult, sorry that's out. I understand it's not simulation football as noted earlier in the thread, also noted in the thread is that the game is marketed as a simulation of nfl football. There is the problem. It's painfully obvious EA dumbs down the product to appeal to the instant gratification market, point is simulation players should have options/modes that appeal to them as well. As stated before they would not be losing their Mountain Dew Nation demographic by adding a hardcore sim mode for sim users, hell keep the arcade mode default who cares. Lastly the willingness to abuse ai glitches and exploit programming shortcoming has nothing to do with a joystick skill so to speak, but it does speak volumes about a desperate need to manufacture self esteem as evidenced in the win at all costs mentality.

Different modes is all I want, appeal to the whole customer base EA not just the dumbed down subset.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »