Home

People who played football(college/pro)

This is a discussion on People who played football(college/pro) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-25-2008, 10:32 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: People who played football(college/pro)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeno
It's true that you're responsible for a specific "zone," but as LBz said, you still have to key certain players... you can't just stare at your zone and wait for someone to come into the zone; you have to think ahead.
I agree 100%
Old 06-25-2008, 11:05 AM   #10
MVP

colkilla's Arena

OVR: 13

whatever you do, don't get caught covering grass. meaning if no one is actively running through your zone, you need to "look for work" as my coaches used to say. other than that LBzrule pretty much nailed it...
Old 06-25-2008, 11:18 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2

It's great to see people talking about strategy and technique instead of cheese. I haven't played (on the field) since 91', and was never that good. I was sloooow.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2008, 11:51 AM   #12
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto07
It's great to see people talking about strategy and technique instead of cheese. I haven't played (on the field) since 91', and was never that good. I was sloooow.
Ya, it's refreshing, though I'm not entirely sure how it relates directly to Madden (IOW, why it's posted in this forum).

I don't play college ball, though I did have some contact from D-III coaches, but that had a lot to do with academics. I visited two of the schools that got in contact with me, then decided I didn't want to put my body and my academics on the line when I wouldn't play much anyway (I'm only 5' 6'' and I played D-line in HS). I was decent in high school, I guess. I was all conference my senior year and logged about 80 tackles, 3 sacks, and a few forced fumbles in my junior and senior seasons combined. I played a lot of offense and not defense my senior year though.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 21

Good stuff.. Thanks all(LB as always, you are the man)

I am planning on making a play creator/match up simulator in flash. I need to understand
all the keys/reads/logic behind what each position does so I can code my objects to react accordingly to whatever play the user dreams up.

Its gonna be a tool to help with making plays to take advantage of mismatches in Madden.

So All you LB's SS, FS I need as much info as possible on your assignments when playing man/zone.

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:03 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
Good stuff.. Thanks all(LB as always, you are the man)

I am planning on making a play creator/match up simulator in flash. I need to understand
all the keys/reads/logic behind what each position does so I can code my objects to react accordingly to whatever play the user dreams up.

Its gonna be a tool to help with making plays to take advantage of mismatches in Madden.

So All you LB's SS, FS I need as much info as possible on your assignments when playing man/zone.

Thanks.
I was actually working on something like this in flash last year but got bogged down. It's not hard, but it was my first time using something like that in flash. I think I still have some of the blitzes that I drew up though.

Let me add some assignments I forgot. In Robber and Sky one of our Safety players will drop to a hook/curl or curl/out.

Hook/Curl Drop:
1) Safety will sink out of the sky and drop to the hook curl area about 12 to 15 yards and key #2 - let's say you are running 3 robber against I pro and your robber player is on the strong side. So he is going to key the TE.

2) If #2 runs vertical, he has to collision in the hook/curl area and then release to the help over the top by the middle 1/3 player.

3) If #2 releases to the flats on say a bench route, or a quick out, then the robber player has to attack the hook/curl and look for #1 on that route or look for #1 on the post.

4) If #2 runs inside and across, collision and release looking for another WR on a crossing route.

Curl/Out Tech:

Now in Sky coverage we had our Safety player playing curl/out.

1) Safety is going to drop out of the sky to a depth of about 10 yards and find an aiming point inside of the #1 WR. Now mind you in Bear for instance the Safety was never in the sky he was in the box, so in fronts like Bear instead of dropping out of the sky he would drop to about 10 yards deep.

2) On the Curl out the Safety keys #1
3) If #1 runs an out, now the safety can crash the passing lane.
4) The Safety always stays inside of #1's route. If #1 runs a curl or a post, then check #2 but do not release #1 UNLESS #2 attempts to run an out route off of #1. If #2 does the latter then release #1 and crash on #2.
5) If #1 runs vertical, sink and check #2.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:50 PM   #15
MVP

Mjphillips's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto07
I have to say that I almost wet myself seeing some actual strategy discussion on the board. Seems like its been years since someone had a really good informative thread. Hopefully this all translates somewhat on the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2008, 03:15 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 5

Background: Played corner and coached DB's HS

Played: Semi Pro football last year. Corner / Safety

I just wanted to add. I had enough speed to get back and run cover 3 and two from an up position. So if you have speedy corners. Its also okay to play up and show man to disguise what you are trying to have the offense read and see if you can have them audible or run what you want them too.

Bump, chuck, or ride the receiver/te/split rb for a few steps and get back. To the offense if you look like your playing man or in a bump and run situation. They may counter with a slant pass or outside release fade to get the receiver on the outside shoulder of the DB. This can be fine for the defense because when they run to the flats HB or slant with the receivers it gives the oppurtunity for the LB's or S's to undercut the route and give up a 2 yard gain to the flats instead of giving up a long pass. The key with the up saftey is what ever side becomes weak before the play, they have to come up and the other backpedals and scans for crosses, inside seams, or a HB curl. Each has to read the same thing.

Motion, 4 wide and overload then has to be called or seen for the corners to back off and play 3-6 yards off, or in some cases especially when it 3rd and long drop back to first down marker off. Again depending on speed. Obviously on an overload motion you don't want to stay in the defensive call of Cover 3. You can change into man but their has to be rules for crosses and pick plays so you either rlease your man and hope to have another cover or you have a rule if a cross comes when you switch to man LB's under corners over and you stay man on.

Again personnel is key and matchups. My teams had speed guys at most positions and we were undersized. Semi pro team had some mammoth 230 pounds safeties running 4.4's so it provided a lot of felxability in coverages.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »