Home

And Yet Another Idea to Enhance the Passing Game

This is a discussion on And Yet Another Idea to Enhance the Passing Game within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 10
Re: And Yet Another Idea to Enhance the Passing Game

I have a idea, When you used the trigger to throw the ball when you held it down did it do a bullet pass? and tap it to lob? I was thinking since the new gen controllers R2 buttons (i dont know what xbox360s R2 button is called) are more sensitive to pressure this is cool because you could make the harder you press in the R2 button the harder you throw and if you just barely press it in/tap it youll lob it and then you have all of the in between pressure for whatever you feel like throwing like for instance i want to throw the ball hard but i need to lob it slightly to get over some defenders soo i would press in the R2 button about 72% down to achieve that type of pass. i think this is a great idea however im not sure of the controlls for madden 09? soo i dont know what the R2 button is for ive been playing the ncaa09 demo and R2 is speed burst if its the same for madden then they should make the QBs speed burst R1 and cancel out whatever that button is when you pass the line of scrimmage with the qb.
if its still X for turbo then you wouldnt need to change anything.
however i like the idea of using the vision cone with the trigger button this way you wouldnt even need receiver icons you would need to move the cone to what receiver/area you want to throw it and press R2 with whatever type of pass you want to throw however this seems like a more advanced setting that a lot of moderate players might find annoying maybe have a option to do the classic way.

Last edited by SomeStrangeSin; 06-27-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:53 PM   #10
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Oh that's no problem. I just created the thread yesterday so I wouldn't expect it to be on the list. But thanks anyway for the clarification.
Gah, yeah, days are running together for me right now because of the OT I'm working and trying to get this thing online:P Yeah, it was yesterday I first saw it, but for some reason I thought it had been here for months.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:05 PM   #11
Pro

FSU_Animal's Arena

OVR: 8

The Vision Cone had the right idea but I think it was badly integrated.

The initial idea was that the smaller the cone, the worse your accuracy was throwing to guys outside of the cone but that in fact created havoc because you were able to make an immediate switch to the receiver anyways by holding down the R2 button + Receiver Icon ... thereby eliminating the penalty a QB would receive on his accuracy because his vision cone would be dead center on the receiver.

The biggest problem with the Vision Cone though was how much of an impact it has on an individual gamer's ability to multi-task. I'm of the type that I cannot manually move the vision cone, recognize the receiver icon, and recognize where I'm being pressured from, and recognize who is who around the ball carrier ... all at the same time.

I'm not an NFL Quarterback and I know none of you here are so I'd love to not hear about how NFL Quarterbacks have to do all that. I understand this is a simulation and I'm all about recreating the simulation but if it gets to the point where the only gamer's that will have any sort of success with the game are the ones who can move a vision cone manually, read the secondary and linebackers, move around in the pocket, and accurately press the correct receiver icon, then I'm just not going to have any sort of fun with this game. I'm all for simulation but I'm mostly about making sure I enjoy my experience rather than growing impatient/angry with the game.

Imagine if EA had implemented a One-Button passing system where depending on whoever you have the Vision Cone over, that would be where the ball is directed but of course a lot of factors would come into play on how the play results. QB Accuracy, WR Awareness, WR Catch, Defensive Awareness, etc. For example, let's say you intended a pass for WR4 but WR1 happens to be in the same line of sight for your QB. Both are running routes near each other but because WR4 has less awareness, he thinks the ball is going for WR1 so he slows down thinking WR1 is going to get it. Luckily WR1, because he's so good, thus the reason he's WR1, makes the catch.

Another feature would be better off is primary target, secondary target. Obviously the primary target should know he's the primary target so if WR4 was the primary target, he would know that the ball is intended for him.

I think EA implemented this sort of by marking the WR Route as orange but that rarely means he's gonna attempt to make the catch anyways in this game.

Last edited by FSU_Animal; 06-27-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2008, 02:24 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU_Animal
The Vision Cone had the right idea but I think it was badly integrated.

The initial idea was that the smaller the cone, the worse your accuracy was throwing to guys outside of the cone but that in fact created havoc because you were able to make an immediate switch to the receiver anyways by holding down the R2 button + Receiver Icon ... thereby eliminating the penalty a QB would receive on his accuracy because his vision cone would be dead center on the receiver.

The biggest problem with the Vision Cone though was how much of an impact it has on an individual gamer's ability to multi-task. I'm of the type that I cannot manually move the vision cone, recognize the receiver icon, and recognize where I'm being pressured from, and recognize who is who around the ball carrier ... all at the same time.

I'm not an NFL Quarterback and I know none of you here are so I'd love to not hear about how NFL Quarterbacks have to do all that. I understand this is a simulation and I'm all about recreating the simulation but if it gets to the point where the only gamer's that will have any sort of success with the game are the ones who can move a vision cone manually, read the secondary and linebackers, move around in the pocket, and accurately press the correct receiver icon, then I'm just not going to have any sort of fun with this game. I'm all for simulation but I'm mostly about making sure I enjoy my experience rather than growing impatient/angry with the game.

Imagine if EA had implemented a One-Button passing system where depending on whoever you have the Vision Cone over, that would be where the ball is directed but of course a lot of factors would come into play on how the play results. QB Accuracy, WR Awareness, WR Catch, Defensive Awareness, etc. For example, let's say you intended a pass for WR4 but WR1 happens to be in the same line of sight for your QB. Both are running routes near each other but because WR4 has less awareness, he thinks the ball is going for WR1 so he slows down thinking WR1 is going to get it. Luckily WR1, because he's so good, thus the reason he's WR1, makes the catch.

Another feature would be better off is primary target, secondary target. Obviously the primary target should know he's the primary target so if WR4 was the primary target, he would know that the ball is intended for him.

I think EA implemented this sort of by marking the WR Route as orange but that rarely means he's gonna attempt to make the catch anyways in this game.
your one button passing idea was what i had in mind

QB behind LOS controls
R2 button = pressure sensitive throwing/pump fake if tapped twice
right stick = vision cone movement
left stick = player movement
R1 or X = QB turbo
L1 or other button = QB evade move?

No need for player icons.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:33 PM   #13
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
I have a idea, When you used the trigger to throw the ball when you held it down did it do a bullet pass? and tap it to lob?
That's exactly how it worked in NFL Fever. That's why I said it felt more natural than passing using the traditional one-button passing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »