Home

Your release day rituals?

This is a discussion on Your release day rituals? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-29-2008, 10:53 PM   #57
MVP

OVR: 25
Re: Your release day rituals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
2 WEEKS BEFORE:
1. Put in with my boss that i'll be needing the day after the game is out off for "personal reasons"

A COUPLE OF DAYS BEFORE:
1. Get the food and beer supply stocked good and proper.
2. Take out the trash.
3. Do the dishes.
4. Vacuum and clean up in general.
5. Tell all my non-videogame football friends I know to leave me the hell alone for the next few days.

DAY OF:
1. Drive somewhere and get it either early or @ midnight release.
2. Get home and bask in the smell of it.
3. Boot it up, play a few games while sporadically looking at the manual to see if I'm missing any new features.
4. After a few games I pause it and read the manual from front to back.
5. Check OS to see what impressions people are providing.
6. Resume game until I am about ready to pass out from lack of sleep.
Thats kinda freaky, I mean that is essentially point by point exactly what I do. The smell is amazing!
Old 06-29-2008, 10:58 PM   #58
Pro

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
2 WEEKS BEFORE:
1. Put in with my boss that i'll be needing the day after the game is out off for "personal reasons"

A COUPLE OF DAYS BEFORE:
1. Get the food and beer supply stocked good and proper.
2. Take out the trash.
3. Do the dishes.
4. Vacuum and clean up in general.
5. Tell all my non-videogame football friends I know to leave me the hell alone for the next few days.

DAY OF:
1. Drive somewhere and get it either early or @ midnight release.
2. Get home and bask in the smell of it.
3. Boot it up, play a few games while sporadically looking at the manual to see if I'm missing any new features.
4. After a few games I pause it and read the manual from front to back.
5. Check OS to see what impressions people are providing.
6. Resume game until I am about ready to pass out from lack of sleep.

thats quite impressive
Old 06-29-2008, 10:58 PM   #59
Rookie

Freezer Boy's Arena

OVR: 11

Wow, I never thought of smelling a new game I buy, but maybe I'll try it with Madden 09.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:01 PM   #60
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhunker
You have to realize where you are man. This is a sports video game board inhabited by people whose hobby and passion are sports video games. It's like telling a stamp collector, "They're stamps!" or a Ham Radio enthusiast "It's a radio, use a phone, it's easier."

The greatest phrase used on these boards is, "To each their own." I respect that.
I respect that as well...but you have to admit some of this stuff is borderline weird...People taking a week off work to play Madden, people sniffing the manual, people getting 8bit tattoo's....I love video games probably as much as anyone in here but to take a week off of work? To get ink done? (I'll secretly admit I've sniffed the manual before )....I love the OS forums and sports video games but I'm starting to believe, by hanging out here, I'm in way over my head in the world geekdom...
Old 06-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #61
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactiveman
I respect that as well...but you have to admit some of this stuff is borderline weird...People taking a week off work to play Madden, people sniffing the manual, people getting 8bit tattoo's....I love video games probably as much as anyone in here but to take a week off of work? To get ink done? (I'll secretly admit I've sniffed the manual before )....I love the OS forums and sports video games but I'm starting to believe, by hanging out here, I'm in way over my head in the world geekdom...
Oh well, think what you want to think. I am finally at a point in my life where I don't give a crap what people think about me other than my wife and children. It's taken awhile, but I'm finally there.

I have been amused by the rituals. Smelling the game or manual, heck can't anyone remember smelling your baseball cards just after unwrapping them? I can still smell that bubble gum smell. Some might not remember this, but the old ditto copies from high school. When a paper was handed out the first thing everyone did was smell the paper. Now granted that smell kinda gave you a little buzz or whatever but when I smelled my baseball cards or when someone smells their game manual, there is a little buzz (of anticipated enjoyment) that goes with it.

From the wise ODogg, "Why so serious?" Some little part of our serious life has to be a little goofy or different, doesn't it?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2008, 12:28 PM   #62
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

then go pick it up @ midnight, or pick it up then

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 06-30-2008, 01:37 PM   #63
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactiveman
You may be slightly missing the point of why some take time off (like I do) come release day/week--it's precisely because we have a life. Meaning, some of us are have families of our own, 40+ hour work weeks, other responsibilities, etc. If we didn't take that time, who's to say when we would get a chance? A few minutes at the end of the day here and there? Where's the fun in that?

If that makes me a geek, then so be it. At least I'll be able to enjoy the game that day/week without interruption.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:32 PM   #64
Banned

OVR: 6

the MUST is taking the day off work. this started back for 2k1 and has continued every year

go to the midnight release around 1030 to talk **** and drink beer(i always bring my cooler and share)

preach the sim bible while waiting for the release and drinking beers with the fellow madden comrades

go home and play till 5am or so while i smoke about 10 cigs or so(kools)

wake up, on my day off, around 9am and play ALL DAY
i usually order pizza as i dont want to waste any time cooking on this holiday

when the wife & kid get home around 5pm they are instructed not to bother me until i depart from the "man room"

after 3 or so days my addiction calms down

and note to all, when i do get home with the game its right to the online part. i could care less about offline

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »