Home

Ian, this is for you. I am no FB guru but I have a ?

This is a discussion on Ian, this is for you. I am no FB guru but I have a ? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-29-2008, 08:38 PM   #9
Swiitch U? lol

Rawdeal28's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Ian, this is for you. I am no FB guru but I have a ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
You are really overrating playcalling here, especially for the defense.

To quote perhaps the most brilliant head coach in NFL history, Bill Walsh said of playcalling, "You can coach offense; On defense, you must have athletes."

There are many axioms in football circles that back this up further. There is no defense for the perfectly timed pass. Things like that.

The point is that the defense is at the disadvantage no matter what the playcall. If the offense executes perfectly, no defense will stop it. Period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
My highschool football coach used to say that we could walk up to the line and tell the defense our play, as long as we ran it right it wouldn't matter.
you guys are correct, but the OP has a point. i also feel in madden sometimes that u do everthing right and somehow magically the player makes the play and not even by luck.

for example, if i double team a WR with two defenders there should be no way he catches unless......1) he out jumps my two defenders..2) out runs my 2 defenders.....3) the ball is tipped and bobbled and it ends up in his hands......or 4) my defenders slip, fall, or knock each other out the play.

too many times none of those things happen my 2 defensive players are on him like white on rice and the reciever stll catches the ball. a 71 rated reciever at that. now im not saying a low rated reciever should never catch the ball in a double team but it happen far too often in madden sometimes and it needs to stop.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:18 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 5

This happens an insane amount of times in APF2k8 but I hope they tweak it more Madden 09.

But Postman17(think i played you a few times in 2k5), the best thing to do in those situations is to just make the plays yourself. Use the cpu to cover the Te and then manually double with a Db/lb. In 2k5 I know there were very few times people would make plays on me with that coverage. And the little time I played Madden online, I used the same method and came up with picks.

I never depend on the A.I. to make plays for me. I hope it stays that way. Manual control should always overrule A.I. control IF the player is good.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
My highschool football coach used to say that we could walk up to the line and tell the defense our play, as long as we ran it right it wouldn't matter.
that would be the dumbest thing you can do in football
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2008, 10:42 PM   #12
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

If I understand the point of the thread correctly...your saying the offense normally has a bit of an unfair advantage?

IMO...it may have something to do with the game trying to condense a 60 minute game, down to a 20 minute one. [default setting] But I am encouraged by the scores that were reported by one of the Community leaders [can't remember who] in two player mode with the '09' game. In three games played...and I assume 5 minute qrts. the final scores were like...10-7...7-0, 10-3. Right in that area anyway.

If we do in the future get an Arcade/Sim switch, I'm hoping that one of it's advantages is...helping to level the play between the offense/defense.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:03 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 3

alliance, we played quite a few times. We had some good times. As you know, I too rarely let the cpu do anything for me. The problem is that the cpu does not reconize this in head to head games when your not controlling that player. However ,when you go into practice mode the cpu adjust to this play. Almost 80% of the time. As some one earlier said this happens way too much. I am not making a big thing out of it cause ii do control my players myself. I just think that the cpu should reconize this if your doubling some one.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:19 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
so was your friend playing the cpu or you?
He was playing me online. I knew he was going for the TE down at the 10 since he ran it like four time already. I called a D to double the TE and I controled my man that was covering his number 1 Wrs. If he ran it like four or maybe 5 times why did the cpu not reconized this and adjust that is my point. this happens way to much in Madden. It happen in 2k5 but not that much. Plus in that game you could click on the player and make the play. You can do it in madden 08 just not as smooth as it was done in 2k5. all I am saying is that the cpu should of reconize this play after being done so many times.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:35 PM   #15
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20

I'm kind of on the other end of the spectrum on this one... I feel that the DB's are a little too good. There isn't much seperation between the WR's and DB's and super swats from the LB's and DB's make coverage a little too effective. I can run a 46 rush outside blitz with man coverage on the outside and one safety playing sky and not have to worry about PA WR1 and WR2 streaks beating my coverage. I know this is going to screw with my game if they loosen up the play (NCAA even marketed more open play) for 09. I shouldn't be able to run a 46 defense consistently and not be concerned about the pass. I think I am going to play 07 on 360 to prepare for the change to get my D up for open gameplay.

I think your issue may lie between two different areas. Let me list them.

1. Not being able to admit that no defense is impenatrable. I have this issue too as I am constantly looking to improve my defense, but just have to accept that no game ends 0-0. Your defense is going to get beat from time to time.

2. The 3 yard per carry average. This is one of the biggest problems with the game as most north south runs up the gut or through the gaps lead to a 3 yard average per carry. Now lets do the math, 4 downs, 3 yards per carry, 6 yards from 2 downs running = 1 or 2 downs to throw for 4 yards = first down. I attribute this problem to the small size of a yard in the game or the large players, I am not sure which one though, it could also be due to the D line being on it's back half of the time. The short 10 yards more than anything frustrates the heck out of me.

That said, I have to say I prefer the open style of passing after the disaster that was 08. Somewhere between 07 and 08's passing would be good. I am encouraged by last years adjustment to open passing slightly via a patch in 08. This gives me hope that they can adjust the game if they take it too far in the wrong direction as the did in 08. In addition, I am really hoping the new player models and the D Line staying on their feet will fix that 3 yards per carry thing too.

Cdon

Last edited by cdon2k; 06-29-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2008, 12:10 AM   #16
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLFAN
that would be the dumbest thing you can do in football
You are completely missing the point. And your post betrays a fundamental lack of understanding on the subject.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »