Home

Madden curse?

This is a discussion on Madden curse? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2008, 08:13 PM   #25
Go Irish

Rules's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Madden curse?

Just a matter of time before Favre gets arrested and sent to prison for dealing in prescription meds.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2008, 10:04 AM   #26
DickDalewood

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
lol...yes, a bit extreme, but the curse thing is so silly, might as well take it to the extreme...and this is coming from someone who spent twenty-four years rooting for a "cursed" baseball team...lol
Wow, I feel ya there... I'm a Cubs fan

As far as the whole curse thing really goes, I find it hard to believe that one ACTUALLY exists... but the coincidental happenings between a player and his upcoming season once he is put on that cover sure is... weird... to say the least.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:14 AM   #27
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdalewood
Wow, I feel ya there... I'm a Cubs fan

As far as the whole curse thing really goes, I find it hard to believe that one ACTUALLY exists... but the coincidental happenings between a player and his upcoming season once he is put on that cover sure is... weird... to say the least.
Yeah, but you kinda have to attribute it to the way the NFL is stuctured. Most of the time it's been running backs after several good seasons...often times after big carry years their bodies break down (Eddie George was a horse for years before he made his way onto the Madden cover...Alexander and Faulk were too) QB's are always question marks for injury as when they get hit, they are a lot less protected...especially a runner/scrambler like a Michael Vick or Vince young (and Mcnabb for that matter). Young didn't really fall to the "curse" he just had a sophmore slump and caught less people by suprise really.

Anyway, back to the silliness...Farve will smartly find his way to another team and find a way to trick the curse into thinking he is Aaron Rogers, ruining Rogers career and making sure the Packers pay for not catering to his whims
Old 07-13-2008, 03:49 PM   #28
MVP

mastershake88's Arena

OVR: 21

you know what? if bret farve comes back and he is a victim of this curse hullabaluee? you reap what you sew. its not even a contest or worthy discussion because this big dummy wont stay out of the league. And i dont blame the packers at all..the dude cant make his mind up not their fault its a business get use to it i say..he should just stay retired.
Decade of Excellence
FHS '06, UMBC,'13,CCBC '15 UMUC '15
Old 07-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #29
DickDalewood

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake88
you know what? if bret farve comes back and he is a victim of this curse hullabaluee? you reap what you sew. its not even a contest or worthy discussion because this big dummy wont stay out of the league. And i dont blame the packers at all..the dude cant make his mind up not their fault its a business get use to it i say..he should just stay retired.
As a life long Bears fan who can't help but be a big fan of Favre... I can't say I disagree with you.

He really has brought this upon himself... acting like a child really. I think it's sad to see, and even as a fan of his, it's tough to stand up for him right now.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:09 PM   #30
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdalewood
As a life long Bears fan who can't help but be a big fan of Favre... I can't say I disagree with you.

He really has brought this upon himself... acting like a child really. I think it's sad to see, and even as a fan of his, it's tough to stand up for him right now.
I've got to disagree. Farve, just like you or I, has every right to change his mind. In fact, you could argue that he has more right (unless anyone here is one of the greatest ever in his/her profession). I think what we forget is this is something that he's been doing since he was very young...and has to contemplate stopping while he is still relatively young in life. I don't see how anyone can begrudge him wanting to play again...especially when we all know he can, physically. Retirement from pro sports at 38 isn't even close to what we all know as retirement (most of us here aren't even sniffing retirement, let alone having to come to a decision about it). I just think it's easy for us to judge something in a public forum that is normally a really personal decision. People call him selfish, childish, indecisive. Well again, it's a personal decision that, because of what he does, gets put out there because of what he does for a living...and how good he is. Where was the outrage for Vinny Testaverte the last couple years? Doug Flutie? There are many who can't easily come to this decision, but the only ones we get worked up about are the really great ones. Bret Favre. Michael Jordan got flack too. All because we want hold them to a different standard. "tarnishing his legacy," "betraying his legend," "not considering his fans." These are just some of the catchy little phrases we use to discuss Favre, because we don't understand why he can't move on. When you think about it, who's really being selfish?

All that said, let me just add this. I don't disagree with the Packers stance either. They had to make a decision as to what's best for their team. They have their own future to think about (along with the future of a certain 1st rnd QB). They are doing the right thing in this case, IMO. I really think there is no "wrong" side in this. Neither seems overly worked up about it. They are just trying to figure out what to do. Bret asked for what he feels is best for him. The Packers have stated they will do what's best for them. We are the one's who have beat this to death...

Last edited by SoxFan01605; 07-13-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:34 PM   #31
DickDalewood

OVR:

Quote:
I've got to disagree. Farve, just like you or I, has every right to change his mind. In fact, you could argue that he has more right (unless anyone here is one of the greatest ever in his/her profession). I think what we forget is this is something that he's been doing since he was very young...and has to contemplate stopping while he is still relatively young in life. I don't see how anyone can begrudge him wanting to play again...especially when we all know he can, physically. Retirement from pro sports at 38 isn't even close to what we all know as retirement (most of us here aren't even sniffing retirement, let alone having to come to a decision about it). I just think it's easy for us to judge something in a public forum that is normally a really personal decision. People call him selfish, childish, indecisive. Well again, it's a personal decision that, because of what he does, gets put out there because of what he does for a living...and how good he is. Where was the outrage for Vinny Testaverte the last couple years? Doug Flutie? There are many who can't easily come to this decision, but the only ones we get worked up about are the really great ones. Bret Favre. Michael Jordan got flack too. All because we want hold them to a different standard. "tarnishing his legacy," "betraying his legend," "not considering his fans." These are just some of the catchy little phrases we use to discuss Favre, because we don't understand why he can't move on. When you think about it, who's really being selfish?

All that said, let me just add this. I don't disagree with the Packers stance either. They had to make a decision as to what's best for their team. They have their own future to think about (along with the future of a certain 1st rnd QB). They are doing the right thing in this case, IMO. I really think there is no "wrong" side in this. Neither seems overly worked up about it. They are just trying to figure out what to do. Bret asked for what he feels is best for him. The Packers have stated they will do what's best for them. We are the one's who have beat this to death...
I should have gone more into depth, because I totally agree with that stance as well. Who are we to tell a guy to quit? If he wants to keep playing and enjoys it, why shouldn't he? It's silly when we expect a guy to quit at the top of his game, just so WE can have a certain lasting image in our mind.

Ah, this debate could go on forever, in so many ways.

Maybe THIS is the Madden curse... haha.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2008, 11:22 PM   #32
MVP

mastershake88's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:

lol no...big difference farve is money. packers is money Nfl is a business.

we are just average joes. of course until we retire from a corporate job. You tell the crew and the CEO that your to retire after 17 years. they got fresh college workers coming out and willing to work for 2000 short of what they were paying you for more work. now your gone and you want to come back. they say no. why? because at the end of the day..its a business. If farve doesnt know that? thats his problem. Its just just a game keep in mind the three peice suits say the same exact thing.
Decade of Excellence
FHS '06, UMBC,'13,CCBC '15 UMUC '15

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »