Home

Ian, in addition to ratings and weapons...

This is a discussion on Ian, in addition to ratings and weapons... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2008, 12:37 AM   #1
Most Valuable Pepe

baumy300's Arena

OVR: 40
Ian, in addition to ratings and weapons...

We should have some other system implemented to help separate one player from another. I do like how the weapons are only given to players who have an ability that is unique to them or only a few others like them, and I do like how ratings can add their own special things, but there is one more category that should be thrown in the mix. That category is player tendencies.

I don't know if you have played NBA 2k8 before, but one thing that made the players play like their real life counterparts was the player tendencies ratings. If Madden would have specific position tendencies we could be looking at a way more realistic ball game once they are mixed with player specific weapons and ratings.

Some examples for a few positions would be along the lines of this:

QB tendencies:

Touch passes -
This would be for QB's like Drew Brees and such. It would affect how often the QB floats the ball instead of just drills it in there.

Bullet passes -
Same as the touch idea, except a QB like this would just rocket the ball in there hard every time or more often depending on how high his tendency to do so is. Think of Brett Favre and Daunte Culpepper. Guys like Culpepper used to just bullet every thing at backs in the flats, even if there was no one near, while other QB's would just float it to them.

Scrambling tendency -
This would just play into how often a QB would tuck it and run. Guys like Dan Marino would have a very low scrambling tendency, while guys like Mike Vick (I know he's in jail) would have a high one. Just some examples.

Throw deep tendency - I've unfortunately had to watch one too many Brad Johnson controlled games in my life. QBs like him would have a very low deep-ball tendency. QB's who had a high deep ball tendency would obviously throw deep a lot more often, while guys like BJ would refrain from throwing deep to either lack of arm strength or just because their real life version doesn't a lot.

Audible tendency - This would be for QB's like Manning and Brady who audible almost every play. The higher the tendency the better a QB is at reading D and switching things up. This could tie in to an awareness/intelligence rating and balance out well.

Pump fake tendency - This would be for QB's who tend to pump fake a lot more.

===============================
RB tendencies:

Fumble -
Kind of like the carrying rating, but would only combine with it and award players who hold onto the rock and disgrace ones who don't.

Spin/Juke/Charge/Stiff Arm - Each RB, FB, WR, QB, etc... would have tendencies in the above categories. This would be cool to see how certain players rarely use moves in real life that they do in Madden. An example would be a little back like Maurice Jones-Drew. Know we know he's good, but he tends to do a lot more cut backs and spinds than shoulder charges like a bigger back would tend to. I don't like seeing Ron Dayne pulling off jukes and spins whenever he gets the ball. Certain players should run more hard-nosed while others take a more finesse style. Guys like LT and AD would have high tendencies in all of the categories while little and big backs would only do things that their size allows. Of course there are exceptions, but it's all about being player specific.

Run out of bounds tendency -
This could be with every skill position as well. I know sometimes the animations take us out of bounds, but like in real life how guys like AD would rather just lay into someone and get shoved out of bounds while other ball carriers just step out an avoid contact, this rating would make those types of players easier to tell apart. Some skill players love to contact, some don't. Just imagine Adrian Peterson coming down the sideline and he knows a safety is going to shove him out of bounds. Instead of just stepping out he hits the safety anyways and still goes out. Some backs do, some backs don't.
============================================

WR tendencies:

Circus catch tendency -
This could tie into the spectacular catch rating as well. This would be for guys like Randy Moss and Braylon Edwards who make acrobatic and impossible catches. Only good WR's would have a decent rating in this.

Jump ball tendency -
This would just determine how good or often a player makes a big leap for a ball. Could used on taller WR's in red zone situations.

Drop tendency -
Most WR's would have a low rating in this category, but some backs and TE's could have a higher one depending on their real life self.
==================================

Those are just examples we could tie in with ratings and weapons. It would make every single player feel unique. Also, team ratings could be incorporated as well, but player tendencies is huge.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or better yet, what do you think Ian?
It makes me sad
I post the frog
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2008, 06:06 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Ian, in addition to ratings and weapons...

yea man awsome idea that should seriously be on top of the list of madden 2010 things to add i am prayin to u ian please make this happen
Old 07-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5
Icon14 Re: Ian, in addition to ratings and weapons...

I absolutely love this idea.My only stagerring issue about madden is everybody plays the same.Example ive seen Ted Ginn pull off catches only Moss can do.Ive seen Moss pull off some sick jukes only ted ginn can do. In the NFL if the other team has Moss deffensive cordinators be like Oh god its R.Moss but on Madden you can contain him like a regular reciever. Lets just say containing R.Moss is next to impossible cause in real life it is.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLFAN
Lets just say containing R.Moss is next to impossible cause in real life it is.
1 catch for 14 yards VS Jags in post season

1 catch for 18 yards against sandiego in the post season

Sounds pretty containable to me.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:05 PM   #5
Most Valuable Pepe

baumy300's Arena

OVR: 40

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Let's hope Ian sees this and gives us some feedback on the likelyhood of something like this being implemented into a Madden game.
It makes me sad
I post the frog
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »