Home

Graphics or Gameplay? Need More Space?

This is a discussion on Graphics or Gameplay? Need More Space? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2008, 01:51 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: Graphics or Gameplay? Need More Space?

More space means nothing. Right now the developers are holding back sports games, not the disc space.
Nearly every game on the PS3 would fit on a regular dvd. The compression technology has become so efficient that the compression is close to lossless.
Not to mention that the PS3's blu-ray drive puts it at several disadvantages when it comes to reading a streaming content off the disc.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:52 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 25

My disc space saving ideas for EA-

Hey EA can we ditch the HOF clips from the game and use that space for better 3-d sidelines??? Can we ditch the Ring of a Champion/Ring builder gimmick for more space to improve the game...and while we are trimming off the memory fat lets go ahead and get rid of...

The Position Animation- No need for each position to get a little football player doing a position specific animation in the top right corner of the screen.

Superstar Mode- Can we just admit that this mode is a failure? Can we take the tremendous amount of space for this mode and apply it to some wickedly cool 3-d cut scene of crowds, or sidelines?

Tutorials- Please remove this from the game, and use this space for something useful. You can put the tutorial in the intruction manual where it belongs.

EA Sports Extras- Please remove this waist of vaulable disc space. I'd much rather have this disc space being used to enhance the copy of Madden that I just bought instead of it being used to try and pitch me other games I really don't care about at all, or will not buy.

Showcase- The whole trophy room idea sounds nice and all, but I'd much rather get all the memory I can going into actually gameplay, graphics, and immersion.

Customize Ring/Showcase- Come on, need I say more?

Mini Games- This may be worth keeping if the game itself were everything we all are trying to make it be, again it seems like a waist of space in the grand scheme of things.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:16 AM   #11
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1

Hey EA can we ditch the HOF clips from the game and use that space for better 3-d sidelines??? Can we ditch the Ring of a Champion/Ring builder gimmick for more space to improve the game...and while we are trimming off the memory fat lets go ahead and get rid of...

The Position Animation- No need for each position to get a little football player doing a position specific animation in the top right corner of the screen.

Superstar Mode- Can we just admit that this mode is a failure? Can we take the tremendous amount of space for this mode and apply it to some wickedly cool 3-d cut scene of crowds, or sidelines?

Tutorials- Please remove this from the game, and use this space for something useful. You can put the tutorial in the intruction manual where it belongs.

EA Sports Extras- Please remove this waist of valuable disc space. I'd much rather have this disc space being used to enhance the copy of Madden that I just bought instead of it being used to try and pitch me other games I really don't care about at all, or will not buy.

Showcase- The whole trophy room idea sounds nice and all, but I'd much rather get all the memory I can going into actually gameplay, graphics, and immersion.

Mini Games- This may be worth keeping if the game itself were everything we all are trying to make it be, again it seems like a waist of space in the grand scheme of things.
I'd be willing to bet if you eliminated all of that you wouldn't have enough space to put in what you're asking for as replacement. Remember; a lot of that is using resources that already exist or (in the case of EA Sports Extra) it's stuff that's just tossed in to make something useful out of the last few MBs that aren't being used otherwise.

I'm not a big fan of a lot of fluff myself. The trophy case makes sense in NCAA... in Madden, it really doesn't fit. But I don't expect most of this stuff, compared to on the field stuff, takes up a ton of memory.

Honestly, I'd be happy to go back to PS2 quality graphics if it meant a faithful recreation of NFL football in terms of gameplay and at least 2k5 quality presentation.

People asking for hand warmers and 25 different sets of uniforms per team... I could care less. Give me a working Red Right 19 BOB, inside-out blitz pickup AI, a fullback who takes out the man he's supposed too, and a working 3-4 nose, I'll be a hell of a lot happier.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

Last edited by adembroski; 07-10-2008 at 02:21 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2008, 02:27 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I'd be willing to bet if you eliminated all of that you wouldn't have enough space to put in what you're asking for as replacement. Remember; a lot of that is using resources that already exist or (in the case of EA Sports Extra) it's stuff that's just tossed in to make something useful out of the last few MBs that aren't being used otherwise.

I'm not a big fan of a lot of fluff myself. The trophy case makes sense in NCAA... in Madden, it really doesn't fit. But I don't expect most of this stuff, compared to on the field stuff, takes up a ton of memory.

Honestly, I'd be happy to go back to PS2 quality graphics if it meant a faithful recreation of NFL football in terms of gameplay and at least 2k5 quality presentation.

People asking for hand warmers and 25 different sets of uniforms per team... I could care less. Give me a working Red Right 19 BOB, inside-out blitz pickup AI, a fullback who takes out the man he's supposed too, and a working 3-4 nose, I'll be a hell of a lot happier.

Lol, I hear you dude, i hear you.

Seriously though, those HOF film clips have got to take up some serious memory...i could be wrong...
Old 07-10-2008, 02:28 AM   #13
Mercy Extended. John 3:16

texbuk84's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1

EA Sports Extras- Please remove this waist of vaulable disc space. I'd much rather have this disc space being used to enhance the copy of Madden that I just bought instead of it being used to try and pitch me other games I really don't care about at all, or will not buy.

exactly, this is crap and we as real gamers don't even need these things. they need to put some of us on the development team so we can give them what the gamers want. they really don't know i think in a way because we keeping getting games like these( except for this year, maybe the games will be great games to play).
Devils

2kflightschool.webs.com
Old 07-10-2008, 02:49 AM   #14
MVP

Klocker's Arena

OVR: 16

the kind of things discussed in the OP related to "memory" are only enhanced by RAM. Not disc space ala Blu-Ray or HD DVD.

this is a mistake that many people make, thinking that more disc space will solve these issues. as pointed out in this thread it costs tons of money for more assets in development time to fill the big discs and compression tech makes the DVD More than sufficient for this gen (albeit with a few multi-disc games here and there).

the RAM in both systems is 512 (actually a little more is available in 360 due to lower overhead of the OS) but for all intents and purposes regardless of how much is on the disc, only ~512 can be displayed at any one time.

If you wanna point the blame, point it at the 512Mb instead of 1 gig RAM, which would have been cost prohibitive for this gen.

Last edited by Klocker; 07-10-2008 at 02:53 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:49 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 12

Microsoft should have used a larger medium. It will matter more and more as graphics and games become more advanced. Better graphics, better audio, will result in more space being utilized. Swapping discs might work with other games, but I wouldn't want to do it with madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2008, 03:37 AM   #16
Banned

OVR: 3

It just seems like a lot of people have no sense if they think the 360's disk space is holding back Madden.

Even if they had all the disc space in the world, the turnaround period for Madden is too short to give you all of these things you're asking for.

As if the game would be photorealistic and play exactly like real football if we all put the game on the almightly blu-ray.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »