Home

Some clarification wanted on "More than 85 new features and enhancements"

This is a discussion on Some clarification wanted on "More than 85 new features and enhancements" within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2008, 07:37 PM   #17
Swiitch U? lol

Rawdeal28's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Some clarification wanted on "More than 85 new features and enhancements"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
Oh I also want to say the whole rivalry mode thing sounds amazing. That brings a whole new dimension into the game IMO.
i concur
I'm sure there's plenty of prostitutes you could pay if you really want vd.
Quote:
yea but will they take psn cards
Depends on what area of a hooker you would use to redeem them.

lol
Old 07-20-2008, 07:48 PM   #18
Rookie

spfhelmiii's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15
- What's new about the catch system?
As Nza said above, this allows us to dynamically move the arms around a spherical volume at run-time, which in essence means MUCH less warping and sliding (which I think all of you know were major issues in 08 and before).
Someone mentioned that All-Pro and All-Madden don't trigger special catch animations, is that true? I agree that it would make the game a bit more competitive between Human players, but it could be a little too far, since the advantage of some players is being able to go up and get the ball with those animations. That being said, less of the one-handed catch animation that was prevalent last year would be refreshing.

Also, in Franchise mode, will you have shifting rivalries? It would be sweet if you had Franchise track something like playoff match-ups with the same team, and if they were consecutive or common over several years, create that as a new rivalry (akin to Colts-Pats).

Finally, are we EVER going to see the demise of Jump-The-Snap? I truly hate this feature, and think there has to be a more effective way of allowing dominant pass-rushers without the CPU and HUM abuse of this feature.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:31 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxMan1000
Sidelines... in prior years the complaint I saw all the time was that the guys on the sideline looked bad but not that there weren't enough people (although I thought they looked fine in '07 except everyone was really plump, lol). I honestly never thought the population was a problem. But now that there are improvements with more population included, I wonder if the graphic quality of the sideline in '09 could've been even better with the same population as prior years (i.e. more resources going to less models = even higher quality)? Could the sideline players almost have reached the level of what's on the field by doing that? Just thinking out loud...
I didn't want to get too much into details of implementation before, but since you asked, our big improvements to sideline included getting more population for less resources. It was actually the brain child of one of our senior art guys - he found a way for players to actually share certain joints and skeletons so they don't cost nearly as much to render and process. There's still the matter of animation and moving around a lot...we don't yet have a handle on it (but are investigating it).

Quote:
Video highlights... I've heard in some places we'll be able to upload to Youtube, and then in some places I've heard Facebook and Myspace. I don't use Facebook or Myspace. I wish Gametrailers was in there (much better quality) maybe next season?
I actually didn't think any of that was there (though I could check)...where did you read it?

Quote:
Total control animations... I've had a chance to play NCAA '09 a bunch. It plays great. Good job Ian. I haven't been able to pull off any of the TCA moves though (tackle breaking and such). Is this not in NCAA '09?
Nope, breaking tackles and trying to strip the ball after the fact are Madden exclusive. I can say without a doubt that they are game changers...I find myself trying to activate them all the time in NCAA...and that's usually the measure of a good feature.

Quote:
Rivalry mode... is it exclusive to franchise? And can it be switched on or off at any time?
I think it's for only rivalry games - no option to turn on/off. I think at least...I could be wrong.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:33 PM   #20
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
Thanks Ian. As far as the 85 enhancements and features, would some of those include under the hood type fixes that really can't be given a marketing tag line?
No, I think all 85 are definitely marketing-friendly. In the grand scheme of things, we make hundreds or thousands of "enhancements" that are usually under the hood...so the number of 85 is actually what marketing thinks they can sell.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:36 PM   #21
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by spfhelmiii
Someone mentioned that All-Pro and All-Madden don't trigger special catch animations, is that true? I agree that it would make the game a bit more competitive between Human players, but it could be a little too far, since the advantage of some players is being able to go up and get the ball with those animations. That being said, less of the one-handed catch animation that was prevalent last year would be refreshing.
The difference is you can't activate user-controlled spectacular catches in All-Pro and All-Madden, and you also can't do strafe-catching for the rocket catch in All-Pro and All-Madden. The CPU can still do them though (so you do get to see the anims in the situations that warrant it). We just made it so you can't exploit them as much. I also think that one handed catch was removed for 09.

Quote:
Also, in Franchise mode, will you have shifting rivalries? It would be sweet if you had Franchise track something like playoff match-ups with the same team, and if they were consecutive or common over several years, create that as a new rivalry (akin to Colts-Pats).
I don't think so. Good idea though.

Quote:
Finally, are we EVER going to see the demise of Jump-The-Snap? I truly hate this feature, and think there has to be a more effective way of allowing dominant pass-rushers without the CPU and HUM abuse of this feature.
Yes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2008, 11:11 PM   #22
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

A jump snap mechanic should be organic... if you get your defensive linemen off the ball quicker than the defensive player, you'll be into your move before he can get into a proper blocking stance. The thing I hate about the jump snap feature is that it's an artificial tack on rather than simply being how the game works.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:22 PM   #23
Go Irish

Rules's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
No, I think all 85 are definitely marketing-friendly. In the grand scheme of things, we make hundreds or thousands of "enhancements" that are usually under the hood...so the number of 85 is actually what marketing thinks they can sell.

This is what I like to see and that is honesty. Thanks for helping us out. I originally thought you had your hand in NCAA 09 but now I am no longer worried about Madden as that was not the case.

Thanks for also making weather become a factor in this year's Madden 09!
Old 07-21-2008, 10:41 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
I didn't want to get too much into details of implementation before, but since you asked, our big improvements to sideline included getting more population for less resources. It was actually the brain child of one of our senior art guys - he found a way for players to actually share certain joints and skeletons so they don't cost nearly as much to render and process. There's still the matter of animation and moving around a lot...we don't yet have a handle on it (but are investigating it).
Sounds good to me. Thanks for answering this.

After playing NCAA '09, I'm pleased with the results of the new sidelines. They're no longer an eyesore and they don't detract form the experience like last year. Anything more done now would just be icing on the cake for me

And speaking of the new art, the art department did a masterful job with the on-field player models. I can't find a single flaw in them. What sticks out is how they got back padding that appears to bulge like the real thing in a subtle but noticeable way. It adds a whole new dimension. The way the lighting is used also seems to make the players visual appearance sizzle in a way I've never seen before, not even from the '07 games which looked amazing from a detail standpoint. This is a homerun in '09.

I read a review over at the EA boards on NCAA '09 (it was in the madden forum) and the guy talked about how real the game looks under 'overcast skies'. I set the clouds to overcast and Man, he wasn't kidding. My eyes are popping out over it... I've never seen anything like it. If Madden '09 looks better than this, I might have to quit my job, lol.

Quote:
I actually didn't think any of that was there (though I could check)...where did you read it?
I got this from an IGN article: "Another new feature tied to replays is the ability to upload video highlights and screenshots to social networking sites such as MySpace and Facebook."

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/872/872430p2.html

Oh yes... this is gonna be sweet. I also remember seeing/hearing in a vid EA made (at the EA Sports site) that Youtube was on the list.

Quote:
Nope, breaking tackles and trying to strip the ball after the fact are Madden exclusive. I can say without a doubt that they are game changers...I find myself trying to activate them all the time in NCAA...and that's usually the measure of a good feature.
Even without TCA in NCAA, you made the controls feel so good. I'm really impressed with the work you did.

I had a run where I ran up right tackle, made a cut, changed direction left and took it to the house for a game-winner with CJ Spiller from like 45 yards. It felt so smooth. I lost my mind! The celebrations are bananas... on that TD, my teammates ran down to the endzone, I got close and jumped on one of my guys' back and he carried me a bit while I celebrated, and I lost my mind again! I haven't had that feeling since 2K5. This is just sick.

I'd rented the game from Blockbuster on Friday, but I actually just went and bought the game from Gamestop just a few hours ago. I don't get as deep into dynasties and franchises, so I don't experience all of the issues some people report. All I know is that this game plays great, it looks good, and now I'm more excited for Madden than I've been since 1997.

Last edited by MaxMan1000; 07-21-2008 at 10:43 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »