Home

Jersey # for generated players...

This is a discussion on Jersey # for generated players... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2008, 12:36 AM   #17
Th*s F*c* C*sh*s Ch*cks

ezekiel55's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Jersey # for generated players...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15
any time we can get realism fixes for cheap I am all for it).
What?...are you guys paying per line of code now
Old 07-23-2008, 03:26 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 7

Maybe add to the patch? Hope one isn't needed, but nowadays it seems part of the process. Roster patch could include it.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:14 AM   #19
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePebble19
The rule is there because it lets the refs know easier who is playing which position for eligible receiver situations. 1-19 QB, 20-49 RB, 80-89/10-19 WR, etc...
Right, and that has exactly what effect on defensive player numbers? Every player on defense is eligible to make a play on a live ball.

The number rules could be simplified down to "offensive linemen must wear a number between 60 and 79" and "Offensive players wearing 60-79 are not eligible" and you'd have any number issues solved right there.

Like I said, the strict number rules don't really serve much of a purpose. If college referees can deal with it, why can't the NFL refs?

Seriously though, I'd guess that the historic player option would be a large part of why Madden's generated players don't follow the (pointless) number rules. It's probably easier for the coding if the created/generated/historic players can all wear any number regardless of position, then they can just use the in-game create-a-player to make the historic guys instead of having them be special with exceptions.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:07 AM   #20
Banned

OVR: 7

...or EA could develop a game that resembles the NFL.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:11 AM   #21
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

I hated this in past years, I remember creating a LT in Superstar mode and then being assigned #1 when I got drafted because someone on the team already had my number. I actually found it distracting playing as a LT wearing #1 so I quit before too long.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2008, 08:33 AM   #22
MVP

ausar72's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartman01
I think for most people that play a lot in franchise mode they control all the teams so if a number issue like that pops up then they can simply edit the number. I've always done that because the number issue drives me crazy too but I just control all the teams and then do the edits.
I may try that.

Isn't that A LOT of extra work, though?
Old 07-24-2008, 08:42 AM   #23
MVP

ausar72's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15
I'm pretty sure this is still there - haven't verified it myself but I asked around and no one knew anything about a task to fix it for 09 so that basically means it went unchanged. A designer has already written a design for this for 2010...hoping we get a chance to fix it (it's really small and not that big of a deal, I agree, but it also should be an easy fix and any time we can get realism fixes for cheap I am all for it).
Why aren't things like this noticed, and corrected? I'm curious because there are a bunch of really basic things that get passed over every year now, because they are deemed as less important.

Things like Super Bowl endzone art, Pro Bowl Helmets, various uniform inconsistencies, plus this number thing. There should be some sort of quality control dept. to handle the review of the game to make sure that these BASIC features that are in the real NFL are included in the actual game.

The NFL itself seems to be real sticklers for the control of the image (things like the various uniform dress code for players and such) that their league puts out, why isn't there the same level scrutiny for the ONLY game with the rights to have the NFL badge on it?
Old 07-24-2008, 08:43 AM   #24
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartman01
Are you serious? Man, some of the die-hards at MaddenMania are all over this.
I've heard of it, but I'd say it's a big stretch to say most people who play a lot of franchise do that. You're one of the few I've heard of that does.

Personally, I don't see the point, but that's just me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »