Home

Could Madden Improve with Natural Motion Tackling?

This is a discussion on Could Madden Improve with Natural Motion Tackling? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2008, 11:08 PM   #41
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: Could Madden Improve with Natural Motion Tackling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by excaliber
NZA,
Madden has ample resources to improve gameplay and features, but after talking with you about it - ive come to realize that in order to integrate Euphoria it would likely take a complete re-write of the entire next-gen madden engine, which certainly isnt an option right now since it isnt "proven" technology.

But I am telling you that this is the future of football games; Star Wars Force Unleashed, GTA IV, Indiana Jones will all help show that - No other genre makes more sense for this kind of technology than football - please see my Fan Diary Video for Examples of the Euphoria Tech in a Football setting.

If Madden continues to use stored animations while games move to real-time generation they will fall behind the curve - im mearly hoping they stay ahead of the curve.
Of course it is the future, I said as much in my first or second post in this thread. As I said, it isn't a matter of if, it's a matter of when a game like Madden and a developer like EA can implement such an engine easily on existing hardware.

I still feel a true physics engine isn't even going to be possible on the consoles without a PPU of some sort. I'm talking every collision (not just tackles) being calculated in it on all 22 bodies, with limbs etc not only prone to being moved by other bodies but also moveable on their own within human restrictions of course. I'd be very surprised if a 360 can do that while maintaining Madden's other complexities (remember, "complex" AI etc doesn't necessarily mean great AI). After all, this sort of physics implementation would probably be the most advanced we've seen in a game yet (no game has done this many live bodies that I know) and there's a reason there is a big push for dedicated physics processing on the PC right now as they are starting to need it in games with physics not as complex as this. Backbreaker may surprise me but I'm guessing there will be some measures to limit system load, like some animations being standard (perhaps blocking), limited number of bodies being calculated for at any given time (i.e. 4 instead of 22), or lowered complexity in other areas to create the room needed just for tackle physics.

Madden may have some room left to expand, but enough to move entirely to physics? I just don't think so. It would instantly become the dominant load on the processor and I don't think there is that kind of room to spare. Not until the lowest denominator console has dedicated physics processing anyway.

Last edited by Nza; 07-23-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2008, 09:35 AM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 4

im guessing none of you have played gta 4? natural motion was amazing. madden needs it now
Old 07-24-2008, 10:41 AM   #43
All Star

OVR: 33

Ea would use Euphoria, if the xbox360 cpu can run it without dropping from 60 FPS and if it actually works for 11 v 11 football.

I would tend to disagree that Madden needs Euphoria. It might improve the game, but at what cost though? I think the lack of variety of animations is the real downfall of the current non-realtime natural motion engine. If there were 1000 tackle animations instead of 300 odd, Madden would have a whole new complexion.

But have you SEEN MADDEN LATELY, IT LOOKS LIKE A DAMN FINE GAME!
Old 07-24-2008, 11:31 AM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
But have you SEEN MADDEN LATELY, IT LOOKS LIKE A DAMN FINE GAME!
I sure have and it does look great, Im most excited about Online Leagues - Madden has come along way and I dont want to take that for granted, This year gone are the days of animations playing without you interacting (you having to wait for the animation to finish). The New Breakaway system all brings the game closer to "simulating" euphoria tech...

But its just a stop-gap, an improving one, but just a temporary solution in my opinion - Anim8tor does a great job but I think even he knows where we are headed, I just hope its in the game before I have to buy a New Console.

Regardless im excited for Madden, Blitz, and Backbreaker, Heck even Blood Bowl and ill likey buy all of them....

Anyone have any predictions? When will Madden use Real-time Physics? What Madden Year will be on the Next Xbox?

Mine:
  • Madden 2010 will Focus on Customization, Expanded League Play, 4-player co-op and even more Broadcast Presentation elements
  • Madden 2011 will have Euphoria
  • Madden 2013 will be on the next console (meaning we only have 3.5 years left on our Xbox 360's!!!!)
Old 07-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #45
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by excaliber

Anyone have any predictions? When will Madden use Real-time Physics? What Madden Year will be on the Next Xbox?

Mine:
  • Madden 2010 will Focus on Customization, Expanded League Play, 4-player co-op and even more Broadcast Presentation elements
  • Madden 2011 will have Euphoria
  • Madden 2013 will be on the next console (meaning we only have 3.5 years left on our Xbox 360's!!!!)

i think madden 2012 will be the new xbox

ps3 will be around till 2015 or so

from reg xbox to 360 wasnt that big if a leap besides hd

i believe theyre still 128 bit
i miss the dreamcast

any how. hopefully on the new xbox 2k will make a return

ps3 = the ISH once they get some games under them.
ill buy mine when gran tourismo comes out HOPEFULLY later this year

the only thing that attaches me to xbox is xbox live, which is fantastic!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2008, 01:37 PM   #46
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

I don't see any significant fundamental change in Madden's animation system until an engine rewrite, because there just isn't enough mainstream appeal to spend that much time and resources on something the majority of the market won't appreciate. Then I think, even with a rewrite, a physics engine for Madden isn't a certainty at all. By the time the next generation of consoles are around, I suspect the current animation system being deployed will be reasonably advanced for what it is, and the pressure to change just won't be there, particularly if it's a launch title again (it will be).

Just look at Madden vs 2K. Despite another NFL game that was fairly competitive with Madden that redefined animation in football gaming, EA didn't react at all and they didn't suffer for it at all. 09 could possibly be on par with 2K5's tackling, but it has taken this long. There is simply no pressure for EA to be cutting edge with physics, particularly with the license in hand.

Even if they did move to a physics engine, it would likely be a inhouse one anyway. EA spans a wide area of the gaming world, and there are EA games with physics. Why license when you can use inhouse tech for free.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »