Home

Madden needs a courage rating

This is a discussion on Madden needs a courage rating within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2008, 08:09 AM   #1
Pro

Sigma4Life's Arena

OVR: 9
Madden needs a courage rating

Why is it that passing defenses such as nickel, dime and quarters remain somewhat affective against stopping the run in Madden/NCAA? It's because DBs are too brave and they take on O-linemen, FBs and TEs without fear.

No CB would EVER come up to the LOS and take on an O-lineman, TE or fullback in an effort to stop the run. They would bail out the instant they even thought a lineman was coming to block them which in turn would open up a huge running lane. In NCAA and Madden 160 pound DBs will take on 300 pound lineman without any thought of self preservation. In real life those CBs would be maimed for life if they did that on a regular basis.

Even big-time run-stopping safeties life Dawkins or Roy Williams aren't foolish enough to take on an O-lineman 1 on 1. Usually DBs will do 1 of 3 things.
  1. Retreat
  2. Attempt to evade the blocker, usually opening up a huge running lane in the process.
  3. Attempt to take out the legs of the blocker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2008, 08:46 AM   #2
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Madden needs a courage rating

They probably couldn't get away with calling it courage, but this fear of injury or excessive pain is needed in ALL video sports games.

Its one of the things that keep players from trying to dunk in traffic all the time in basketball, or digging in too deeply at the plate in baseball, or camping out in front of the goalie in hockey.

Until the idea of self preservation is somehow incorporated into these games, a huge component of sports will always be missing from them.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
MVP

Tengo Juego's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
They probably couldn't get away with calling it courage, but this fear of injury or excessive pain is needed in ALL video sports games.

Its one of the things that keep players from trying to dunk in traffic all the time in basketball, or digging in too deeply at the plate in baseball, or camping out in front of the goalie in hockey.

Until the idea of self preservation is somehow incorporated into these games, a huge component of sports will always be missing from them.
Co-sign. I wish someday this is implemented some how.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

Toughness is already an atribute.

Wouldn't that really do the same thing? Have you ever heard of a tough coward?
Old 07-25-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
Pro

Sigma4Life's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by burger13

Have you ever heard of what the toughness rating does in Madden? Neither have I..

I agree that the toughness rating could potentially be used for this but I assume this rating already has a purpose.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2008, 12:59 PM   #6
Pro

osubucksfan47's Arena

OVR: 10

Call the rating gumption
Old 07-25-2008, 01:12 PM   #7
Pro

Sigma4Life's Arena

I think the solution is to give every AI player an innate sense of self preservation. By default a DB will not charge head on into a 325 pound O-lineman.

To make players unique they could then add an aggression rating. Certain players show disregard for their own safety or for anyone around them. They seem to enjoy pain. Those guys would have a high aggression rating which overrides that natural tendency to avoid bad situations.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:28 PM   #8
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by burger13

Toughness, I believe, is related to the players ability to comeback/rehab from injury in the game, not his actual toughness or courage. I agree that fear of injury should be incorporated into the game. It would be nice to see it's effect on different positions (i.e. WR's getting "alligator arms," some RB's scampering out of bounds, CB's diving at legs, etc...along with what's already been mentioned, of course). I think the lack of "emotional AI", so to speak, is a constant hinderance to immersion in sports games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »